digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: A Bit of my 2017 garden (Taiji)

Taiji, the monsoon season is a distinct difference between my area and yours. We have officially had a "trace" of July rain. That's it! If there is more than an inch of rain over the next 9 weeks, we will count ourselves lucky. The likelihood is that it will fall 1/10 of an inch at a time. That will not do much more than bring the temperature down.

The early potato harvest is in full swing in my garden. Since I only have earlies, it won't take too long but I'm not willing to carry out many at a time ;). Viking Purple, Red La Soda & Yukon Gold

These are from a different garden than in past years. I was truly ready to give up on the Yukon Gold, altho they are DW's favorite. They had miserly production in the other garden where I grew them 3 or 4 times. They did much better out in the heavier gravel of the big veggie garden rather than in more fertile soil and pea gravel in the other garden, I don't know why.

The very productive Viking Purple has performed as usual, altho some have split. I don't know why that happened - a first.

The Red La Soda look fine but are quite small tubers this season. I suppose that I like them a little better than the Red Norland but there hasn't been much difference between them.

Different locations and everything is a little different in the spud patch. There is less than 20 miles between my gardens. Your recent weather changes would probably make for dramatic differences, by comparison.

Steve

bri80

digitS' wrote:I was truly ready to give up on the Yukon Gold, altho they are DW's favorite.

The very productive Viking Purple has performed as usual, altho some have split. I don't know why that happened - a first.
That's funny, I had the exact opposite experience this year in my garden. I tried Purple Viking and they did horribly, barely even germinating. It's possible the seed potatoes I got were not of great quality.

Yukon Gold always crushes it in my garden, and I plant it every year.

Just goes to show you how everything we do in gardening, even picking varieties, is incredibly dependent on many variables and you should always experiment with what works best for you, and never take something as "the only truth"!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

This is more like it. Red Norlands the way I like to see them! Greater percentage of larger potatoes. I think the first ones I dug just needed a little more time and more water. The summer rains get the credit for these I think!
red nor good.JPG
Tomatillos setting fruit finally! Only one plant in this garden.
tomati.jpg
Butternut squash coming on great. Unfortunately, taking over the whole garden. But this is normal in my smaller fenced in space. :) I forgot to train them up the fence; I've found they hang there nicely without going out into the forbidden zone. But one managed to do it on its own.
butter collage.jpg

wisconsindead

Looking very good!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Today's haul. First bean harvest nothing to write home about, but am expecting bigger things from my other bigger garden! Golden Jubilee are great. Lots of cracking on this year's tomatoes; think it has to do with 100+ heat for 3 wks. then tremendous rains suddenly. Love the tasty green hybrid cukes. I know, hybrid, but worth it to me. :)
2017 golden.JPG

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Can't believe you already have butternut squash that big! Mine haven't even produced fruit yet...

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Yes, they are really doing very well. These are at my hotter garden. Those I have at my cooler place really are way behind. No fruits yet there for me either. Even if I get some fruit set, I doubt that they'll mature before 1st frost. But we'll see!

If I had my way, I would have my larger (or only) garden at the spot with the longer season. But, my well is not good enough there to handle any more watering. My well at the higher elevation runs forever thankfully. :)

The 2 gardens are only 10 miles apart, if that.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

At last! Tomatoes. Plants had to overcome 27 degree freeze June 13; then endure 3 weeks of 100+ temps a week later. Finally setting and ripening fruit. Never start getting good tomatoes here til late August and thru Sept.

These are mostly destined for the stew pot. It's easiest for me to stew tomatoes, then freeze in bags. Use them thru the winter for spaghetti sauce, chili, and vegetable soups. I think I'm going to lose a lot though; going on vacay in a couple of weeks for 3 and a half weeks. :(

My 3 favorites: Rutgers, Golden Jubilee and Large Red Cherry.
cherry rut, jub.JPG
cherry, jub, rut.JPG

Taiji
Greener Thumb

This year's squash harvest despite the late, hard June 13th freeze. One of my best ever. First year I've grown what I think are called the Amish Crookneck Butternuts. They're huge and heavy. I hope they are as tasty as the regular butternuts which are my favorite. I got the seeds from a grower in Penn. and wondered if they'd run true since they were grown in his home garden. But, they seemed to.
2017 squash.JPG
2017 squashes.JPG
And, the Candy onions. Some softball sized globes this year, but consistently a little smaller this year than last. Still, a very good harvest! I love it.
2017 candy.JPG

applestar
Mod

Wow those squashes should last you for a while — they look wonderful!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Where ..

. is the ..

LIKE button?!

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”