lakngulf
Greener Thumb

lakngulf's 2017 Second Try

Less than two week's ago my initial start to 2017 took a hit from the low temps. Not to worry, I still had lots of plants protected in the warmth of my house. Now with flowers looking like this I figure it is time for a Second Try

So I populated the little pier with tomatoes and corn

So far everything has a healthy look, and this guy almost wants to shoot out the first bloom

Corn will need a little fertilizer soon

And more plants ready to go:

Oh, and one more picture of beautiful springtime

Last edited by lakngulf on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Beautiful native azaleas! Sure looks like spring to me! Your new plantings look great and ready to grow.

It's hard to read the weather, and I applaud your enthusiasm to get your garden started :D It's a good thing you had all the backups to the first string you planted earlier.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Plants have enjoyed daytime temps in the 80s and 60s at night. Love the green color of spring.
Two weeks since planting and look at this

Benjy136
Newly Registered

We love your style. We lost all our figs and plums in that snap, but we're working with 5 gallon buckets that went back out when it warmed back up. Last night it wend down to 48F. What a shocker. We're using 2" PVC to make our outdoor racks this year.Our Daughter in Florida asked us to send her some of our garden tomatoes and we sent her a couple in a well-padded box. She ooohed and aaahed back after she and her husband made sandwiches with one of them and polished off the other one yesterday. We're new here and I'm interested in what kind of soil or medium your buckets use.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Benjy136 wrote:We're new here and I'm interested in what kind of soil or medium your buckets use.
I have a special source. I grew up on a cattle farm. My family does not raise cattle now but a farmer rents some of the land and has an angus herd. In the spots where he feeds hay during the winter, I pile up the soil during the spring. This creates an immediate rich compost pile. After a couple of years maturing, I load some on my trailer and bring to my garden. This is what fills the containers.

Here are my helpers with the process. They love bouncing around in the mounds each year

The plants are doing well in this soil and some great growing conditions this year:

applestar
Mod

Ooh, I don't think you've explained the exact source of the magic dirt before Image

...thanks for asking that question @Benjy136 :wink:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Ooh, I don't think you've explained the exact source of the magic dirt before Image

...thanks for asking that question @Benjy136 :wink:
So the cow is out of the bag now!!

wisconsindead

Wow! Awesome garden. I have yet to ever see anyone dedicate a pier for their garden. Jealous!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

wisconsindead wrote:Wow! Awesome garden. I have yet to ever see anyone dedicate a pier for their garden. Jealous!
I get a lot of lookers by boat. Last august the local publisher did an article in Lake magazine. So this year I told my wife that the garden had to be special. Did not have to produce but look pretty..ha
Hopefully we get that and some juicy tomatoes too!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Here is my garden that is not on a pier. It is adjacent to the field where the rich soil was harvested.

It is doing well but a little behind my lake garden

Notice the two tomatoes on left so much larger than others. On right are cherokee purple from seed. On left better boy from bought seed that had green coating. Just diff plants or does Mosanato add nutrients with that coating? Just wondering. BB is so bushy I cannot see young fruit inside. Will be helpful for july scorching sun!

As some of you know this garden is at my Moms house. In years past she has watered the garden and gave it the needed TLC. Now at 92 she is still near the garden, enjoys seeing it from window, and can make trip in wheelchair but an almost closed aortic valve has slowed her down. My brother and I are taking turns at 24/7 with her. We welcome your prayers for peace and comfort.

Here she is the other day helping me make her famous Chicken Pot Pie

Last edited by lakngulf on Sat May 13, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Mmmm... Chicken Pot Pie! :D
Your mom is in my thoughts. :()

Your Mom's Garden is looking good! Wishing her a bountiful harvest and, yes, lots and lots of pleasure from it. :-()

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I've been Beaned

[/and Silkedb]

And may have to have a Fried Green Tomato Sandwich soon

Not sure what this is, but I have a lot of them

And all of this is happening while I am here.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

More Pics

great growing season for garden

tomatoes getting close

beans

erins327

The health of your plants is a true inspiration LaknGulf!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

The gardens have enjoyed some timely rain showers this spring and summer but sometimes Mother Nature has an attitude!

applestar
Mod

Oh my goodness! This is terrible :(

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Tomato Update

Got some good ones growing in garden at my Mom's house. Soil there is just unbelievable

applestar
Mod

Haha I missed this post -- that was funny. Hope all is well after all that weather.

Your tomato photos are making me hungry! :lol:

imafan26
Mod

The water helps to moderate the temperatures. I like the cow manure you get a stone's throw away. Bless your mom, to make it 90 years and still going strong. Chicken pot pie sounds good too. I have no tomatoes now because I had yellow leaf curl virus and had to pull my two tomatoes out. I planted beans and peas instead. I might try another tomato and see what happens. I am not seeing white flies now. After I pull the bean and peas, I might try another variety. I planted zucchini and cucumbers in my two other pots. They are starting to flower now. I might try some beets in one of the other pots. My main garden has been fallow for most of the year. All I have done is take the weeds out. There was a lot of weeds.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”