wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Thanks applestar. We'll see if they keep popping up throughout the season.

Here is my garden. I really wish I would've planted more greens earlier. Oh well.

There is garlic on the left. Then I planted yukon gold and nortland red potatoes and some dragon carrot just to the right of that bed.
v1.JPG
Left to right - Bed 1 - Onions, Spinach, lettuce and in the way back Bed 2 - Onions, Carrots and peas Bed 3 - Strawberries, broccoli and cabbage and Bed 4 - raspberries.
v2.JPG
And here is a close up of some broccoli or cabbage. Not sure which.
c1.JPG

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Little Update.

Here is the entire plot. Starting to green out. Garlic growing really well. I've noticed that my hay mulch is full of seeds. I've begun taking it off. I'm really trying to prevent having to deal with perennial grass weeds. I like using mulch, so I'm not sure what the plan is from here.
e1.JPG
Here are some potatoes. This is Red Norland with Yukon Gold in the background.
p1.JPG
Here are the tomatoes. They did just fine being planted on the 21st of May. I am hard pruning them this year. All indeterminate varieties.
t1.JPG
And here is some cabbage. The broccoli and cabbage are growing really well.
c1.JPG

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Here we have the onions, spinach, lettuce, carrots and strawberries in the bottom. Just beyond the carrots and shaded are the peas.
1vv.JPG
Here are the raspeberries (right), strawberries, and cabbage/broccoli in the back. The corn is in the upper left below the compost pile.
1v.JPG
Watermelon Seedlings. Blacktail Mountain
1w.JPG
The double red corn.
1c.JPG
Here are the peppers in the back, carrot and lettuce seedlings and potatoes up front. Red Norland and Yukon Gold. The garlic on the right (chesnok red, german porcelain and georgian crystal) are starting to yellow and put out scapes.
1p.JPG
Here are some baby Tavera Haricot Vert beans
1bb.JPG
And the Broccoli heads are just beginning to form. This is my first time growing broccoli.
1b.JPG

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Everything has been going pretty well here at the garden. My peas and broccoli were a failure. I also haven't gotten nearly the amount of strawberries I was hoping for. But all in all I am pretty happy. I harvested my first peppers the other day. The first tomatoes are ripening. And I plan to harvest my garlic this weekend. I hope I haven't waited too long :/

June 18, 2017
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
July 3, 2017
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

User avatar
KitchenGardener
Senior Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:30 am
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

So impressed. I get garden envy when I see a big (by my standards) healthy garden. I WISH I had the space for a big garden, with rows of peppers, tomatoes, a whole patch of garlic and a whole patch of potatoes not to mention all the other great things. But then I think of the work it takes to get that whole area ready and planted (and how many seed starts you must have going in your garage in early winter) and I'm reminded that you've got a gorgeous garden because you've worked so hard for it. As for me, my little urban oasis/patch will do for now.

Well done - enjoy the fruits of your labor!

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

KitchenGardener wrote:So impressed. I get garden envy when I see a big (by my standards) healthy garden. I WISH I had the space for a big garden, with rows of peppers, tomatoes, a whole patch of garlic and a whole patch of potatoes not to mention all the other great things. But then I think of the work it takes to get that whole area ready and planted (and how many seed starts you must have going in your garage in early winter) and I'm reminded that you've got a gorgeous garden because you've worked so hard for it. As for me, my little urban oasis/patch will do for now.

Well done - enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Thank you for the kind comments. You're right, it has been probably hundreds of hours of work/visits since last fall. I feel you on space, this garden is at my sister's. She lets me do what I want with the yard so I'm very lucky. I live in a small apartment with no yard! :cry:

User avatar
KitchenGardener
Senior Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:30 am
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

wisconsindead wrote:
KitchenGardener wrote:So impressed. I get garden envy when I see a big (by my standards) healthy garden. I WISH I had the space for a big garden, with rows of peppers, tomatoes, a whole patch of garlic and a whole patch of potatoes not to mention all the other great things. But then I think of the work it takes to get that whole area ready and planted (and how many seed starts you must have going in your garage in early winter) and I'm reminded that you've got a gorgeous garden because you've worked so hard for it. As for me, my little urban oasis/patch will do for now.

Well done - enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Thank you for the kind comments. You're right, it has been probably hundreds of hours of work/visits since last fall. I feel you on space, this garden is at my sister's. She lets me do what I want with the yard so I'm very lucky. I live in a small apartment with no yard! :cry:
Lucky Sister!!

User avatar
applestar
Mod
Posts: 28178
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Zone 6, NJ (3/M)4/E ~ 10/M

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Looking really good! I hear you about some of those failures -- they are what you might call compost for your knowledge-base. Accumulate those failures, turn them over in your mind, and what you get are fertile ideas for improvements to be made in the garden next season. :()

My garden is poised to begin mass production, too. Many green tomatoes, my new peppers seeded this year are still small but some have begun to bloom, and some the overwintered fully mature peppers are pumping out harvestable fruits already, while others are setting massive numbers of fruits.

I actually have some that need to be planted still -- either in the ground or larger containers.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

applestar wrote:Looking really good! I hear you about some of those failures -- they are what you might call compost for your knowledge-base. Accumulate those failures, turn them over in your mind, and what you get are fertile ideas for improvements to be made in the garden next season. :()

My garden is poised to begin mass production, too. Many green tomatoes, my new peppers seeded this year are still small but some have begun to bloom, and some the overwintered fully mature peppers are pumping out harvestable fruits already, while others are setting massive numbers of fruits.

I actually have some that need to be planted still -- either in the ground or larger containers.
Thanks Applestar. I actually think the stress of being in pots too long (i started my peppers too early) allowed for some earlier fruits as the peppers were flowering well before I ever planted them outside. Have you ever experienced this? My plants reverted to vegetative growth after a week or two outside and are the best looking peppers plants I've ever grown. Very healthy looking.

Here is the majority of my garlic I harvested this weekend.

This tub is full of Chesnok Red.
1.JPG
A few of the bulbs are very nice looking.
3.JPG
And here is almost all of the Georgian Crystal (left) and German Porcelain (right)
2.JPG

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

KitchenGardener wrote:
wisconsindead wrote:Thank you for the kind comments. You're right, it has been probably hundreds of hours of work/visits since last fall. I feel you on space, this garden is at my sister's. She lets me do what I want with the yard so I'm very lucky. I live in a small apartment with no yard! :cry:
Lucky Sister!!
My sister would rather eat store bought-pesticide sprayed-weeks old berries than fresh ones that have touched the dirt from her own yard. So, this is really just less lawn for her to cut. As far as I can tell, she is crazy. But whatever, I'd probably rather she not touch my berries :()

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

July 18, 2017

Things are going well here. I've been harvesting carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers. Beans are forming. Onions should be done soon. I'll have a lot of empty space soon :|
5.JPG
4.JPG

User avatar
KitchenGardener
Senior Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:30 am
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Looks so green and healthy! So what do you do with your empty space? Is there anything you can put in for a Fall harvest?

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

KitchenGardener wrote:Looks so green and healthy! So what do you do with your empty space? Is there anything you can put in for a Fall harvest?
I will be planting peas, a couple types of lettuce, spinach, carrots and possibly potatoes and beans if I plant soon. My plan is to make a poly tunnel for the lettuce, spinach and carrots to have them last through the winter. I'm hoping to be harvesting that stuff in the heart of winter. We will see!

User avatar
KitchenGardener
Senior Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:30 am
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Good luck - sounds great. Question is: will you be willing to drive over to your Sis's house in the dead of winter to get your produce? :wink:

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

KitchenGardener wrote:Good luck - sounds great. Question is: will you be willing to drive over to your Sis's house in the dead of winter to get your produce? :wink:
I would bet. I can only be gone from the garden for so long...

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

July 31, 2017

Here is the garden while I was harvesting onions. All are curing now. New York Early and Expression yellow onions. Plus two red onions that were in my seed packets
1.JPG
Here is the other side. Potatoes dying off, peppers doing great. Dragon Carrots doing well behind the peppers. Winter butternut squash in front and the tomatoes.
2.JPG
As you can see, my tomato support is a mess. I really need to rethink how I am going to do this.
6.JPG
My strawberry patch is really coming along. The runners are starting to fill in the voids and I am actually getting a decent amount of production. Almost enough for me. Next year should be :eek: 8) :()
5.JPG
Here is the blacktail mountain watermelon. I have a few growing.
4.JPG
And a very pretty Glow sweet pepper.
3.JPG

wisconsindead
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Location: Zone 5b

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

Here's a little box I put together for a friend. Shows almost everything I have to harvest or have harvested. Very colorful. Good season so far!
1.JPG

User avatar
KitchenGardener
Senior Member
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:30 am
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Re: Wisconsindead's 2017 Garden

wisconsindead wrote:Here's a little box I put together for a friend. Shows almost everything I have to harvest or have harvested. Very colorful. Good season so far!
1.JPG
Absolutely gorgeous!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”