Super Green Thumb

Re: Applestar's 2017 Garden

Wow! Fabulous photos!

applestar
Mod

:() thanks!

applestar
Mod

I FINALLY had a chance to take some photos of my garden :()

I guess this would be my fall garden. I’m going to put hoop over everything to hopefully keep these greens going.

Summer’s last hurrah’s including some really nice Chicago Hardy figs. It’s planted next to the SW-facing family room wall and I have the bottom part of the tree/shrub covered with an old nylon shower curtain, so I’m hoping more the green fruits it’s loaded with will have chance to ripen.

...aaaaand... I have a fat corn cob growing on the Pink and Purple Mexican ! About 10-12 feet up Image

applestar
Mod

Gusts up to 40+mph knocked over my corn — wah! They did fall over the tomato support so didn’t fall all the way down and may not have been completely broken/severed....

applestar
Mod

I left the corn exactly where they fell. I didn’t want to move the stalks and sever any of the remaining connected tissues. Now we have the remaining week of overnight lows in the low to mid 30’s°F, then a hard freeze — low 20’s° F — forecast for Sat. Morning.

I’m hoping the three ears on the Pink and Purple Mexican corn will have time to mature into viable seeds. I’m assuming I should harvest the ears before the hard freeze.

applestar
Mod

Finally, FINALLY got the chance to plant the garlic —

applestar
Mod

I FINALLY FINALLY got the chance to unwrap the Pink and Purple Mexican corn to see what I got —

...first one I unwrapped was a dud, 2nd one only had the one kernel that looks immature. Another one had more but probably also immature. So only one spottily but successfully pollinated and matured cob, but enough for trying to grow again. Image

applestar
Mod

These spent the winter under a tulle netting and doubled slitted 3 mil plastic, and look like this now:

...I think this means if I can come up with better designed covering system that allows opening and closing during the winter instead of frozen to the ground, I would actually be able to harvest some and enjoy them.... :roll:

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”