applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar's 2017 Garden

I just realized maybe I should be posting the tomatoes in the tomato garden progress forum.... :roll:

Well, maybe soon. For now, here are some more developing green fruits --
- Bear Creek (tbug EGT'15)
- Cheste (gerardo'Jul2016)
- Ernie's Plump (meb'16) -- fun shapes!
- Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (gixx'13)

I guess I might've shown these dwarfs before? They are growing well and I must have started them early enough because they are fruiting with the earliest of the indies... or else these are earlier varieties.
- Dwf Uluru Ochre (asmx 2016)
- Dwf Chocolate Lightning (tbug)
- Dwf Blazing Beauty (itali 2016)

applestar
Mod

VG.PSRBs (Veg Garden Pallet Sided Raised Beds) are coming along Image

I posted close ups of the Japanese Striped Maize in the VG.SIP before. In addition to the fertilizer strip, their remote reservoir bucket has a resident overwintered feeder goldfish -- 3-4 inches long -- that help with the mosquito problem, and I feed it any pest caterpillars and other bugs I find.

Here are the JSM in the Spiral Garden. Whether due to lucky seeds or difference in soil nutrient/mineral content, or cooler soil, drier conditions... who knows? Some of these have red stripes:

wisconsindead

Super cool looking corn.

applestar
Mod

They sure ARE! I can't wait to see the cobs/kernels themselves. I think they are flour type/decorative, but I don't care.

My medley crosses will be interesting too, and they are hopefully mostly sweet -- I sorted out and only planted wrinkled/shrunken-looking kernels. I also planted a little patch to carry on the Glass Gem/popcorn type. And then there are the Mexican Pink/Purple which were huge flat kernels. I really have to try to take a picture of them because I think the foliage is sort of blue-green looking compared to the others.

applestar
Mod

I absolutely had to put up a nylon netting trellis for the Korean cucumbers in VGD.PSRB TODAY. Of course no task in my garden is simple, to do A I have to do B and C, possibly D. :roll:

In this case, I HAD to scrub the fence. Last year, I missed my chance because one day the plants were tiny and the next day they were all over the fence.

Last year, too, I was dithering because I couldn't decide what cleaning product to use. Last time before that, I used a fairy heavy concentration of Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap, which worked fantastically, but made lots of suds requiring several rinsing, and I was concerned that all insects would have been killed -- not just bad ones but beneficials, too. And I NEED these borders guarded by the Garden Patrol since it's the Death Zone beyond this point, and I imagine the pestilent bugs resurrecting like zombies out there.

Today, as soon as I decided that I could NOT hang the brand-new shiny white netting trellis without washing the fence first, the answer materialized right there in my head -- Epsom Salts! Salt is algaecidal, Epsom Salts are beneficial to the garden in small quantities while still being salts, detrimental to slugs. There are hordes of slugs hiding between the base of the fence and the raised bed pallets. Win-win-win! :-()

I mixed up 1 Tbs Epsom Salts in 1 gallon of water -- a typical dilution used by gardeners who extoll Epsom Salts, then a tiny dibble of peppermint soap. Just enough to make it cloudy. Scrubbed on with a retired soft kitchen dish washing brush, it worked like a charm :()

applestar
Mod

Edible landscaping concept --

Triple Crown thornless blackberry canes trained on an inexpensive white arch arbor over the gate and interwoven to form a screening hedge/corral surrounding the central AC unit. :D

Currently working on building up an independent arch arbor out of the blackberry cane wickers as they grow and age....

applestar
Mod

I was tempted by this thread into sowing some Okra seeds. Both the Okra and the Butta summer squash have sprouted. :-()
Subject: Okra question
applestar wrote:Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 pm

I soaked and sowed some Clemson Spineless and Alabama Red, but it turned out my seeds are kind of old, so I'm not sure what kind of germination I will get. I sowed extra, extra, which should mean there will be more than enough, but we'll see.

I will have to get new seeds for next year, or if these germinate, save at least one plant for seed-making (sacrifice and allow first pod to mature to ensure pod will have the chance to fully mature before frost)....
...forgot to mention one of the volunteer squash I was letting grow had the telltale wet sawdust on its stem -- I dissected it to see and found 2 SVB's, so the summer squash may have no chance.

applestar
Mod

Started July 9th .... today :D

Broccoli, Limba (Fedco’13)
Broccoli, Purple Peacock (Fedco’13)
Kohlrabi, Superschmelz (Ellie’14)
Cauliflower, Early Snowball 2013
Cauliflower, Snowball (ellie)
Chinese Cabbage, Kyoto No.3 (Kitazawa’15)
Kale, Lacinato (SESE’09)
Kale, Flowering Peacock Red (Pinetree’13)
Kale, Lacinato
Kohlrabi, Azure Star (Park’13)
Kohlrabi, Kolibri (Pinetree’14)
Cabbage, Brunswick (LinFL’16)

applestar
Mod

I mentioned elsewhere that my plants must be secretly monitoring what I post about them on the internet, because they seem to respond. Well, look at the Japanese Striped Maize in the VG.SIP today:

When I looked closely and counted, I realized that 8 out of 9 plants in there -- I.e. all except one -- are showing red stripes now.... :lol:

applestar
Mod

VGA high raised bed, viewed from

Southeast

Northwest

bri80

applestar wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that my plants must be secretly monitoring what I post about them on the internet, because they seem to respond. Well, look at the Japanese Striped Maize in the VG.SIP today:

When I looked closely and counted, I realized that 8 out of 9 plants in there -- I.e. all except one -- are showing red stripes now.... :lol:
That is cool. I wish I had the space to grow corn! Especially some awesome variety like that.

Mind if I ask what VG.SIP stands for?

applestar
Mod

Vegetable Garden SIP :()

...from p.11 June 19 I think -- forgot already :>

Subject: Applestar's 2017 Garden
applestar wrote:I got the VGD.PSRB planted. This year's "share with the neighbor" fence crop will be the Korean cucumbers. I rarely grow hybrids, but I decided to stick with productive, disease resistant varieties when doing this. If some of the tomatoes --particularly Bear Creek -- and the Giant Marconi peppers and Hari eggplants manage to top the fence, they will provide nice addition for offering.

In VG.SIP, Japanese Striped Maize and Korean Melon are settling in. We are having mostly overcast days so I removed the screen cover. If the melon seeds in the other corner don't sprout, I will have to sow some more.

The ants had moved out of the used SIP potting mix pile (to underneath the mulch bag -- so I didn't have to deal with the ants while I worked to fill the VGB.PSRB.

I got overheated and tired -- not hot but so muggy today -- wasn't able to quite finish up. We are expecting thunderstorms later/soon so I did want to take care of all of the potting mix, which I was able to manage. :-()

I had a "grand plan" for this patio corner, but had to put it aside since it was holding up the rest of the planting. This SIP will be designated "Kitchen Garden Patio SIP" (KGP.SIP) and, along with the other planters and containers, will be planted with Mexican/Southwestern cuisine ingredients Image

applestar
Mod

15 pages in this thread already! I started a Tomato Garden progress thread so I can post details about the tomatoes and other solanacea without overwhelming this thread :()
:arrow: Subject: Applestar's 2017 Tomatoes (and peppers and eggplants)

bri80

applestar wrote:Vegetable Garden SIP :()
So maybe I'm dumb, but what's SIP?? :)

applestar
Mod

Oops sorry I got used to talking in these abbreviations. Sub-Irrigated Planter. :D
Here's a bit of discussion about them :arrow: Subject: Self Watering Container and Sub-irrigated Planter

bri80

applestar wrote:Oops sorry I got used to talking in these abbreviations. Sub-Irrigated Planter. :D
Here's a bit of discussion about them :arrow: Subject: Self Watering Container and Sub-irrigated Planter
Hey, cool! Very creative!

applestar
Mod

Plants that prefer warmer root zone than my garden and climate can supply seem to do really well in these -- peppers and eggplants for sure. Most likely melons as well. I'm also trying them for ones that really suffer from our summer drought since the reservoir can maintain steady moisture levels.

applestar
Mod

I finished hilling the corn in the Spiral Garden and sowed some bush beans in available spots ....you don't see any? Well I MADE them fit :wink:

Okra and summer squash seeds sprouted :D

applestar
Mod

A number of green fruits are starting to color break, but it looks like the first to actually BLUSH among the SFH/SFHX in-ground tomatoes is the Not Raymondo's Australian Mist Currant-leaf RL. I don't know if the color didn't show up well in this morning's photo or if it's the angle, but I could clearly see the yellow color from the upstairs window this afternoon.

...runner up prize might go to Maskotka, but this one needs to go full red, so not really.

applestar
Mod

Here is my lean-to overhead trellis idea for the cucumbers in VGD.PSRB (pallet sided raised bed) on the left and cherry/indeterminate tomatoes in VGB.PSRB on the right. Neither of them are completely finished since I want to add the front edge bamboo to the 4'x4' VGD which I built first.

I really like the look of the 4'x6.5' VGB trellis, but it is not completely secured yet. My neighbor's lawn service came and started spraying so I had to skedaddle. The odor lingered for a while, making me suspicious that they didn't keep their sprayer wand low again, so I ended up spending my time rinsing off my blackberries and other plants with hose end sprayer after they had gone and the air had settled.

I expect some of the fruits (Korean cucumber, indeterminate and cherry tomatoes, Korean melon) will end up being left laying on top of the wire fence, though I intend to try to be vigilant and train any wayward floral/fruit trusses into hanging the fruit underneath.

Image ...yes I HAD to take extra pictures of the Japanese Striped Maize :()

The PSRB was my answer to have solid skid panels against the picket fence as a barrier, and to raise the planted plants way above the ground level. The beds were filled semi-hugelkultur so there is over-abundance of biological activity underneath to act as bio-remediation. The SIP in the middle is isolated from the ground. I'm not entirely sanguine but by planting broadleafs susceptible to herbicides, these beds are used to check for possible contamination of the VG beds that are further in, and I do share the harvest over the fence with my neighbor.

applestar
Mod

So the first variety to present mature fruit from the SFH•SFHX side of the house was Not Raymondo's Australian Mist. I was right and it doesn't have the "Mist" -- frosty white fruit color. I don't know if it came through in the photos but my Maglia Rosa x Coyote segregate from last year's white cherry definitely has this characteristic inherited from the Coyote ancestry..

Although I picked it because it was soft to the touch, it resisted being picked, which means it wasn't fully ripe, whereas Not Raymondo's fell right into my hand.

Marz Pulcent fruits are from KGP (Kitchen Garden Patio).

applestar
Mod

I was reminded to check on the progress of Santa Lucia Island peppers -- three plants under the insect screen tunnel. Trouble with those things is you need extra motivation to undo all the (insect proof) fastenings and open them up. This one is inside a 4 foot chickenwire fence, double-secured gated SF&H (Sunflower, etc. House) garden -- it was devised to keep groundHOG out -- so that's another cause to balk at dealing with it all.

Well, it was a good thing because it was a mess under there with 2nd set trueleaf tomato volunteers everywhere -- NO TOMATOES WERE PLANTED HERE< NONE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GROWING :oops: :roll:

They might have been set back from the competition, but they were still pretty small. But the 3rd year Doux Long d'antibes had a 4 inch green fruit. And big leaves of Senposai was ready to harvest -- giving that to my mom today. I weeded with the shedding comb and tucked them all back in under the covers. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Love the lean to trellis. So the idea is to train things to grow across the top? Will you plant something underneath in the shade thus created?

Everywhere I put my compost, I get volunteer tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

To be honest, I don't know how these will turn out after the cucumber and tomato plants have engulfed them. It's a new idea and an experiment. :> But if nothing else, these will give them 16 sq.ft. and 26 sq.ft of extra growing space, keep them from flopping over, and maybe will look interesting.

VGB.PSRB has salvias and balsams growing under the indeterminate tomatoes and one? Cherry tomato. I intend to ruthlessly prune lower tomato leaves to give them space.
VGD.PSRB has 3 short determinate tomatoes (Marz Pulcent and Maskotka) as well as I think Dwarf Brandy Fred growing in the front. One indeterminate Bear Creek on the end, 2 Marconi pepper's and 2 Hari eggplants which all can get pretty tall. Oh and I planted a Cypress Vine in the corner....

Bwahahaha -- the more I think about it, the crazier this sounds! nutz:

applestar
Mod

Spiral Garden, viewed from the East --

...I'll probably collage this with other photos into a bigger picture...

applestar
Mod

Nutterbutter is climbing the wall ...err trellis. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:To be honest, I don't know how these will turn out after the cucumber and tomato plants have engulfed them. It's a new idea and an experiment. :> But if nothing else, these will give them 16 sq.ft. and 26 sq.ft of extra growing space, keep them from flopping over, and maybe will look interesting.

VGB.PSRB has salvias and balsams growing under the indeterminate tomatoes and one? Cherry tomato. I intend to ruthlessly prune lower tomato leaves to give them space.
VGD.PSRB has 3 short determinate tomatoes (Marz Pulcent and Maskotka) as well as I think Dwarf Brandy Fred growing in the front. One indeterminate Bear Creek on the end, 2 Marconi pepper's and 2 Hari eggplants which all can get pretty tall. Oh and I planted a Cypress Vine in the corner....

Bwahahaha -- the more I think about it, the crazier this sounds! nutz:
that all sounds like stuff that likes full sun and it seems like once things grow over the trellis, it won't be full sun under there....

applestar
Mod

Well, right now, the area gets sun from sunrise until the fence itself which is on SW side starts shading it -- so the bed underneath the overhead trellis should get the sunrise to noon at least -- the lean-to design should help. We'll see.

In the past, the Lady in Red salvia grew well in my front NW-facing porch-side bed which only got 4 hours West setting sun, and the pink balsam grew well in the SE-facing (but shaded until the sun cleared the trees) 11AM-3PM sun bed.
Attachments
IMG_4222.JPG

applestar
Mod

Here's another craziness -- I wasn't able to keep up with the C.pepo and C.maxima squash protected under the insect screen, and they proceeded to poke their tendrils THROUGH the mesh and climb up to the top. :shock: :roll:

At least the C.moschatas are starting to climb their wire fence trellises as intended. :D

With both those squash and these melons:

I'm going to borrow from and adapt this idea:

T clamped onto T-posts supporting a cattle panel

https://youtu.be/nE92hZvcmgo

applestar
Mod

Yesterday's harvest. I gave all of these except the Jasmine blossoms to my parents.

I also took the two Marz Pulcent tomato plants that were starting to mature fruits (the one in square white container and one in white plastic hanging basket) as well as a container planted with Lettuceleaf Basils.

I still have this one from which I harvested a couple of fruits this morning, as well as the Jasmine blossoms since some more opened.

...and a Maskotka. I didn't want to give these away because they are the ones I practiced cross-breeding on, and the blossoms seem to have set fruits Image

applestar
Mod

VGD.PSRB ... VG.SIP ... VGB.PSRB

VGD.PSRB ... [ ] ... VGB.PSRB

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

applestar wrote:Here's another craziness -- I wasn't able to keep up with the C.pepo and C.maxima squash protected under the insect screen, and they proceeded to poke their tendrils THROUGH the mesh and climb up to the top. :shock: :roll:

At least the C.moschatas are starting to climb their wire fence trellises as intended. :D

Can't see from your pics, but trust that its happening! Determined little guys!

applestar
Mod

applestar
Mod

Uppoted the crucifer seedlings in plug cells. For some reason, the Limba Broccoli which sprouted well all died -- damped off? Strange because all these others were fine in the same ice cream tub. So no fall heading broccoli but I may try the overwintered broccoli later in late September/early October.

These seedlings include the following, but particularly ones marked with *
*Broccoli, Purple Peacock (Fedco’13)
Kohlrabi, Superschmelz (Ellie’14)
Cauliflower, Early Snowball 2013
*Cauliflower, Snowball (ellie)
*Chinese Cabbage, Kyoto No.3 (Kitazawa’15)
Kale, Lacinato (SESE’09)
Kale, Flowering Peacock Red (Pinetree’13)
*Kale, Red Russian
*Kohlrabi, Azure Star (Park’13)
*Kohlrabi, Kolibri (Pinetree’14)
*Cabbage, Brunswick (LinFL’16)

applestar
Mod

I was too wiped out to go back and take pictures of them, but the Littleleaf H-19 cucumbers in the Apple Guild (AG) bed has finally started opening female blossoms after days and days of bachelor party. It was a good thing I was looking to discover all of the female blossoms because I found a leaf foot bug :x

Everything is growing in leaps and bounds, forcing me to throw together trellises and supports out of any available material. :lol:

For VGB inderterminate tomatoes -- I made up a bamboo trellis supports frame and then one of those 5' x 10' nylon netting veg trellis draped on both sides to completely enclose and tightly strung with little zip ties.

Haybale Lane (HBL) melons -- I wanted them to sprawl on the ground as much as they could to give them chance to set down additional roots, but now they are crawling on top of each other and trying to escape through the fence, so I've temporarily secured first part of my idea for the overhead shelf trellis. Honey Rock melon has opened a few female blossoms. I thought about hand pollinating them, but each of them were already occupied by a bee....

I'm trying to decide whether to continue with my original idea to fold another section of wire fencing, zip-tied back-to-back with this one -- planning to get the metal straps fastened with a bolt for tightly securing the wire fence to the T-posts -- then lengths of bamboo laid across the full width on top and secured with zip ties to support the overhead shelf.... or if there is a better idea....:?:

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
How big is your yard :D
Is that a Big Green Egg in the pic on the left?

applestar
Mod

YOU would think that. I'd love to get one of those green monster$ -- I have admired them from afar. :>

No, that's one of the earliest compost tumblers that started showing up on gardening catalogs. End-to-end design. Not the best since it's really not dimensionally correct. I helped neighborhood kids with their science fair project with one of these... oh maybe 10 years ago. All grown and married, etc. now, those kids. I remember one of the parents looking very put out and telling me that all these ants and rollypollies and earthworms fell out of the drainage holes when the kids demonstrated tumbling it. And me saying ...um yeah? Did the kids mention that was SUPPOSED to happen in their report? :lol: Earliest models as I said -- probably explains how they have held up so well (I have another one). It's my (WAY) back burner project to figure out exactly how to lazily use these most effectively because they really don't work very well unless you obsessively chop up all ingredients and make minute adjustments in the ratio, etc.

I think I've posted about basically all the areas that I've turned into gardens. We have a large useless front lawn due to REALLY bad planning on the original developer's part, but DH isn't in tune with the concept that lawns are passé. But everywhere inside the backyard fence is under MY purview Image

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:YOU would think that. I'd love to get one of those green monster$ -- I have admired them from afar. :>

No, that's one of the earliest compost tumblers that started showing up on gardening catalogs. End-to-end design. Not the best since it's really not dimensionally correct. I helped neighborhood kids with their science fair project with one of these... oh maybe 10 years ago. All grown and married, etc. now, those kids. I remember one of the parents looking very put out and telling me that all these ants and rollypollies and earthworms fell out of the drainage holes when the kids demonstrated tumbling it. And me saying ...um yeah? Did the kids mention that was SUPPOSED to happen in their report? :lol: Earliest models as I said -- probably explains how they have held up so well (I have another one). It's my (WAY) back burner project to figure out exactly how to lazily use these most effectively because they really don't work very well unless you obsessively chop up all ingredients and make minute adjustments in the ratio, etc.
I don't sweat the compost, everything just keeps getting dumped in

Yeah, I kept staring at that and thought, dam, Applestar even has a Big Green Egg.

Here's my Homemade Baby

I used to compost years ago, but stopped due to yard constraints (pool) anyhow the one pictured here is the same type I had 20 years ago. I just framed it out with 6x6's and the front piece is just laid in place to access the compost.

applestar wrote:I think I've posted about basically all the areas that I've turned into gardens. We have a large useless front lawn due to REALLY bad planning on the original developer's part, but DH isn't in tune with the concept that lawns are passé. But everywhere inside the backyard fence is under MY purview Image
Sounds like you got the better deal :-()

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

applestar wrote:Image

Hahaha, thanks! I can see that!

applestar
Mod

SQWIB, I suspect your "baby" is a high performance machine (with places for everything you need at hand) compared to the dumb ol' egghead. :lol:

KG, if you don't post a picture, it didn't happen. :>

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”