SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Re: SQWIBS Urban Garden Adventure 2017

applestar wrote:Wow you are in full gear! I feel like I'm really being slow at the starting line. I'm sharing your excitement and enthusiasm. :-()

...BTW I have an idea for the asparagus that might be growing too early -- why not put something like a bottomless milk carton over them and fill with mulch (maybe sawdust or peat/coir?) or sand, maybe -- I'm thinking you might be able to grow some white asparagus. ...maybe all you need to do is put a black nursery pot over them with a rock or brick to keep them in place.
That is interesting, alas the shoot got soft and died, but on a positive note, it was the only shoot. I guess he was taking point!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I can't watch horror flicks or read scary novels because I have a too active/vivid imagination. You are scaring me..... :eek:

I really hope it wasn't serious and you heal up soon. :|

...did you not get much snow? It was way cold last night, too.
Finger is healing but swollen and sore, I think its broken, wife (nurse) thinks its soft tissue damage.
were expecting 18-24" depending on who you listen to :D

this weekend

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 11th-12th, 2017

Well, this weekend was shot so I played in my workshop.

The plants are all doing well, I had more rosemary pop, a Fengyuan Eggplant sprout, the parsley came up and a couple more ghost chili's The only thing I have been having trouble with are my California wonder seeds, nothing has germinated yet. Nothing from the Gerbera Daisy yet either.

I expanded my growing space a bit. By topping off the solo cups I can get 18 per tray comfortably so I went from 60 to 72 on the grow table.

Then looking around the workshop I found another spot to expand to another 36. Armed with a plan, it was off to Home Depot.

I need to stay out of Home Depot or more specifically the seed area, I stopped over HD to pick up a few timers for my expanded grow area and picked up a packet of Box Car Willie Tomato Seeds and Abe Lincoln Tomato Seeds.

When I got home, I hooked these shop lights up to a timer, set for 18 hours and put a fan on the work bench that is set to go on for twenty minutes three times a day. I grabbed a board I had laying around, put in some eye bolts, popped 4 anchors in the ceiling and popped in some eye bolts and used Heavy Gauge copper wire for the supports, I'll change these out with light duty chain when I get a chance, but for now it was what I had and I wasn't going back out again.
These are 6000k LED light that I originally bought for the grow table but due to the type of bulb, I couldn't use them on the grow table, electrical stuff I wont go into right now.

This works out great, it is just the right height to work under it without bumping my head, it does block a little light from the work shop table but not too much.
Right now I have a few Jalapeno, Poblano and Marigold plants up there as a control, I will be checking them every day to see if the lights and area are adequate.
This brings me from 60 plants to 108 plants.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 16th, 2017

It has been 5 days and the 36+ plants are doing well under the new grow area, so I think it is safe to say that the heat, air flow and and lighting under these lights are adequate.

The Abe Lincolns (first) and Boxcar Willies (next) exploded after less than three days.

I started the hardest part of my growing season, thinning, but this year I have been saving them.
The plants are divided and re-potted. Some will go to my brother others will go to a friend that once said, "don't kill the babies I'll take them". I started thinning early, because frankly I need the room.
I doubled up in some of the containers and they can be divided or thinned later.

I am also growing about 10 plants for my Parents Hugel Bed but I will harden them off and be planting myself.
Everything has been doing pretty good, I had more Rosemary pop up, a few more Ghost Chili's and 1 California Wonder. The California wonders were broadcast seeded into two groups, one was my harvested seeds, the other was from the 2016 season packet, out of 40 or more seeds on both I only had one germinate and that was from the packet.

I done the same with my Black Beauty eggplants the ones from the packet were slow to germinate and the seeds I harvested not one germinated. All of the eggplants were seeded at least three to a cell, I eventually dumped all the remaining harvested seeds into two more pots and time will tell.
The unidentified eggplant from my Daughter has not germinated, and only one Fengyuan Eggplant seed has germinated.

Here is a quick recap (in red has not germinated)

Herb, Rosemary
Pepper Sweet, California Wonder HEIRLOOM (only one seed germinated)
Pepper Sweet, Corno di Toro Giallo Pepper HEIRLOOM
Pepper Sweet, Ruby King HEIRLOOM
Pepper Hot, Tabasco HEIRLOOM
Pepper Hot, Jalapeno  HEIRLOOM
Pepper, Anaheim  HEIRLOOM
Pepper Hot, Ghost chili HEIRLOOM
Pepper Hot, Poblano HEIRLOOM
Herb, Parsley
Herb, Basil
Tomato, Brandywine Red (Potato Leaf) HEIRLOOM
Tomato, Matt's wild cherry (only one seed germinated)
Tomato, Celebrity  - HYBRID
Tomato, Black Vernissage  - HEIRLOOM
Tomato, Cherokee Purple  - HEIRLOOM
Tomato, Patio Princess  (Determinate) - HYBRID
Tomato, Indigo Blue Berries  - HEIRLOOM
Tomato, Sprite  (Determinate) - HEIRLOOM
Eggplant, Black Beauty - HEIRLOOM
Eggplant, Unknown Chinese Eggplant
Eggplant, Fengyuan Purple Eggplant - HEIRLOOM (only one seed germinated)
Flower, Marigold
Flower, Gerbera Daisy

applestar
Mod

Oooh you got some varieties I don't have and some that I hadn't heard of. Looking forward to hearing how they turn out. :D

Eggplants are difficult to save seeds for because we eat immature eggplants, and to harvest seeds, you have to let them mature completely. So far, only ways I have been able to carry eggplant fruits to maturity have been to allow first or early fruit to mature on one plant, sacrificing production, or to grow or dig up in a pot before first frost and keep the fruiting plant going in the house. Even after harvesting the hard-shelled fruit, I keep the fruit in the kitchen in warm/dry condition until the fruit starts to shrivel, then scrape out the seeds from the barely damp spongy flesh. Quick sinker vs floater test as with tomato seeds, then dry thoroughly before storing.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I'm gonna try that thanks, so if I leave one fruit , specifically the first one, on the plant the entire season, the seeds will be mature?

What do you think about the California Wonders? I never have problems with pepper seeds, well with the exception of long germination time for Ghost Chili's, but that is to be expected.
Some of the stuff I am growing is just to harvest seeds.

My Red Ruby King pepper seeds all germinated in less than a week.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 17th-19th, 2017

This week was a bust and I'm pretty sure I lost all my seedlings in the Hugel Beds, I may replant this week.

I'm still trying to save my Rosemary plant, I started this from seed last year.

And if the weather wasn't enough for me to worry about, now I have this to worry about!

He's after my KOI.

Started thinning and dividing the plants.

The plants in the Blue Solo Cups will go to a fellow garden enthusiast, the Yellow solo cups go to my brother and the rest are mine. 50% or less will be used in my garden, some will go in my parents garden and the remainder will either find a new home, find a nook in my yard or be tossed.

I started fertilizing the plants this week and they seem to be doing OK. I still have some Abe Lincoln Tomato seedlings and Boxcar Willie Tomato Seedlings that need to be re-potted next week, they wee a tad too small to be messing with.

The fan and lighting seem to be adequate. I have been keeping the garage at about 78°F.

I usually don't recycle my potting mix but was running low so I sterilized some potting mix for my Marigold plants.

I have been putting these Marigolds everywhere, here are a few on a morning sun windowsill in the basement bathroom, hopefully it will be enough light and not too drafty. Now I just have to figure out how to keep the wife from dropping and closing the blinds!

Today was a melancholy day, I retired my old faithful Remington saw and replaced with a new Makita, the Remington has been a great saw and don't owe me anything after 10 years of service, I feel like I lost an old friend!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 21st, 2017

How do you know you have a gardening problem? When your running late for work and decide to do some gardening!

The snow and ice is almost gone so I checked my beds, all the peas that sprouted have rotted, same with the broccoli, no sign of the spinach, bush beans and lettuces. I replanted the peas and the broccoli. This weekend is shot, I will be on a canoe camping trip on the Delaware river, we will be heading out very early Friday morning but I will be home fairly early Sunday so I may be able to do some planting then.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, it's always something. I planted sprouted potatoes when phenology would tell me: when the forsythia blooms. But we had such a weird season so far. February was near-record hot almost the whole month and the forsythia bloomed very early, around mid Feb. The potatoes grew into pretty little 3-4" high plants. Then a week ago we had three days running of near record cold, 24 degree nights, which is colder than it almost ever gets around here. All the potato plants bit the dust. :( I guess I should stick with the old tradition of plant potatoes at St Paddy's day.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yup, it's always something. I planted sprouted potatoes when phenology would tell me: when the forsythia blooms. But we had such a weird season so far. February was near-record hot almost the whole month and the forsythia bloomed very early, around mid Feb. The potatoes grew into pretty little 3-4" high plants. Then a week ago we had three days running of near record cold, 24 degree nights, which is colder than it almost ever gets around here. All the potato plants bit the dust. :( I guess I should stick with the old tradition of plant potatoes at St Paddy's day.
Man, thats a shame, seems like most folks are in the same boat.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

My new cups came in and I have been transplanting into the new cups. These cups are awesome, nice and sturdy and can be run through the dishwasher. The taller ones are 20 oz. cups and fit 18 to a tray and the smaller ones are 10 oz. cups and fit 21 to a tray, I am still debating on getting all 20 oz. cups. I like that they are taller and slightly narrower than the red solo cups.

If I get more 20 oz. cups, I'll probably use the 10 oz cups for my pepper starts then pot up to 20 oz.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 23rd, 2017

Replanted some Bush Beans,
,this morning before work,

no, no, not those Bush Beans.

After work I planted a row of the sugar snap peas in the Hugel bed.

March 24th - 26th, 2017

Canoeing the Delaware River, see ya in a couple days.

I survived!!

March 27th, 2016

I was re-potting some plants today and had a little mishap, I was adjusting the height of the shelf and spilled a whole tray of plants, there were some casualties but I managed to save most of them but time will tell. I really need to be more careful. The trays should be removed before adjusting, not sure what the hell I was thinking. I will be stopping at Home Depot tomorrow to pick up some supplies to install a more secure system.

March 28th, 2016

These tomato plants still have about three weeks to go before planting, they literally exploded in a week, I started my plants several weeks later this year but may need to start another week or two later.

The eggplants and some of the peppers are spot on for timing but I may plant them a week later as well.

A few of the tomato plants have what appears to be "sun scald", these plants were touching the light. I'll be hardening these off in a week or two so I turned off the heat in the garage so the garage is a bit cooler and cut back on the fertilizer and watering.

I setup a more secure adjustable/hanging system

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 28th, 2017

Earlier in the week I picked up 10, twelve foot 5/4 decking planks.

March 30th, 2017

Today I picked up another 10, twelve foot 5/4 decking planks.

March 31st, 2017

I ordered my "5 for 10" mulch at Home Depot but it was raining too bad to even attempt picking up the bags of mulch, Friday it rained about 12 hours non stop

April 1st, 2017

It was too wet to really do anything so I got all of my tools ready and cleaned up the yard (swamp) a bit.

April 2nd, 2017

Woohoo, its finally dry enough to get moving on the fence.
I had the Stephen stack my mulch. Afterwards I realized that I got the wrong mulch, I don't care for the Viigoro its too red, I prefer the Earthgrow, however its not too big of a deal because the color fades out by the end of the season. The reason I get the colored mulches is they seem to turn a nice rich black color after about a year, more so than the other mulches. I have no clue as to why this is and maybe I'm crazy but hey, it works for me.

Dug in the last post and started leveling. I put eyebolts in the posts and secured to the fence once level using romex. I done all the posts but one, (More on that later).

Sam wanted to help so I had her dig around the arborvitae stumps as I worked on the supports.

Maggie decides to help.

After all the posts were leveled and secured I noticed the one post set back about 10" further than the other ones, this is because my back yard butts up against two neighbors back yards and its not straight. I decided to leave it as is
Remember the ONE POST I DID NOT SECURE, well, I got all my supports in and noticed the one post I did not secure had shifted about 3 inches to the right on an angle, I decide to leave that as well and try to place the fence slats straight in an effort to make it less noticeable, we will see!

April 3rd, 2017

Today after work, I cut the remainder of the planks and installed all but 5 of the planks. You can see the post to the left how it shifted, when I start adding planks to the left, I'll try to run them straight instead of spacing evenly. Its bad but looks even worse than it is due to the camera angle.

April 3rd, 2016

Some of the plants just exploded, hopefully this weekend I can start hardening them off.

April 4th, 2017

This morning I planted some Zucchini seeds.

Well its supposed to rain every day this week but Wednesday, I ordered 10 more decking planks and will cut and install them Wednesday after work hopefully.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

April 4th, 2017

I ordered 10 more decking planks and it's supposed to rain every day this week but Wednesday, so I will be working against Mother Nature again.

After work. I picked up the decking wood and surprisingly, since the weather was nice, I cut the pieces, removed another arborvitae stump and finished another panel.

After work I was checking the plants and decided it was time for them to sink or swim, they will be put out in the morning.

April 5th, 2017

Sink or Swim dammit, these guys will get late afternoon sun.

The little guy didn't make it, but we do have a few new Gus's poking their heads through. Now I just have to keep the dogs out of Asparagus bed.

wisconsindead

Looking good! Jealous of your asparagus. I need to start growing that.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

April 5th-12th, 2017

I installed a new Pond filter and UV about 4 days ago, and it is now just starting to clear up, I ordered another filter that I will be installing this weekend. Now I need to do something with those wires!

I started work on the Koi pond, cleaned the filters, skimmed the bottom, fired up the Wendy Filter, had to do a quick repair job on the upper veggie filter, as it was leaking pretty good. Got the other veggie filter going and put in the Terracotta pots for my peppers.
I am still digging out the back hill. I have been digging out this hill for the last few weeks and taking the dirt to my Brothers house, he has a low spot in his yard that pools pretty good after a heavy rain so we have been dumping it in the low spot.

After work I decided to stop by Home Depot and pick up some 6x6x10 footers, lets just say that I wont do that again!

Woohoo! the fence is finished, now it's time to concentrate on the retaining wall.

Today I Planted most of my veggies. (L-R)
 Matts Wild Cherry
 Ruby King
 Corno Di Toro Giallo
 Anaheim
 Poblano
 Black Beauty

This year I planted the Eggplants and peppers on a slight angle and spread them out a bit more.

Left Bed (L-R)
California Wonder - California Wonder
Black Beauty Eggplant - Black Beauty Eggplant
Black Beauty Eggplant - Black Beauty Eggplant
Brandywine Red
Abe Lincoln

Right Bed (L-R)
6 plants across may be a bit tight, we will see!
Ruby King Red Pepper - Ruby King Red Pepper
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine Red
Black Vernissage
Black Vernissage

Long Hugelkultur bed (L-R)
 Indigo Blue Berries Tomato 24"
 Abe Lincoln 24"
 Abe Lincoln 24"
 Corno Di Toro Giallo 18"
 Corno Di Toro Giallo 18"
 Cherokee purple 24"
 California Wonder 18"
 Anaheim 18"
 Black Beauty 20"
 Black Beauty 20"
 Jalapeno 18"
 Jalapeno 18"
 Poblano 18"
 Poblano 18"
 Box Car Willie 24"
 Box Car Willie 24"
 Brandywine red 24"
 Brandywine red 24"
 Ruby King 18"
 Ruby King 18"
 Oregano Cover crop
 Basil
 Parsley
 Marigold

Patio Princess

Sprite determinate. Old filter earmarked for the trash, I'm just waiting a week or two to make sure my new filter doesn't suck!

Jalapeno in the larger Vertical Tower (Top). I had strawberries in this vertical tower last year and was half hoping they would not winter over and I would plant other things in them, oh well, all the strawberries came back.

Tabasco in the smaller Vertical Tower (Top), gotta have Tabasco for my hot sauce!!! I'll be dumping miscellaneous herbs and pepper plants in here.

I just can't wait until all the veggie plants are in, my wildflowers arrive and are planted, everything is mulched, the retaining wall and fence are done, all the digging and dirt hauling is done, the ponds are finished, then I can put all my tools away, cleanup and enjoy the gardening. I took on a lot this year but I'm hoping it all pays off and I don't burn out by July!!

My Peas are starting to come up.

Last year I transplanted some Phlox and it has done really well. All this Phlox came from one small plant by the Koi Pond. It just blows my mind that one of the plants is white and they all came from the same plant.

Donor plant

My artistic Daughter is making me some Rock Labels for my Herb Garden.

My one Raspberry plant is doing well and for some odd reason, my shepherd loves eating this plant. Note the Dumb Ass turtle to the left, God knows how long he's been stuck there. I still need to childproof the yard a little better.

This morning I got up early and put in some Marigolds, checked on the plants and pond and YES, done some more digging!!!

After work I picked up some 4x4's for the supports, 4 foot rebar, stone (chipped marble), for the posts and 10" Timberlock screws. I laid the first three pieces of the retaining wall. I used my new AWESOME chainsaw to make the cut. The first row needs to be leveled but I will wait till Saturday after we pick up the remaining 6x6s, this way my brother can help me.

I got some more digging to do and I gave up on removing the stumps, natures gonna have to take care of them.

April 13th-16th, 2017

Today the other pond filter came in and I got that installed, I just didn't plug in the UV so it's just a canister filter at the moment.

I ran a 1/2" irrigation line from the raised bed under the retaining wall. I plan on running an emitter line to water the plants in front of the fence, I just need to order as few more parts.
I dug the hose in a good bit and covered the hose with some pavers, just in case I'm digging around and forgot about the line being there, Yeah, I sometimes do that! And yes, I did some more digging.

I called my brother for assistance on the rest of the project, The game plan was to meet at Home Depot at 8 am, pick up the wood and install the retaining wall. We got the wood home safely and moved it into the back yard, boy was it heavy.

After the four posts were in we tamped everything real good secured to the fence and removed the support that was kicking the wall back.

Laura was painting the playhouse, when she finished, she ran out and grabbed a few hoagies and we stopped for lunch.

I tweaked my Compost bin, It was undersized, last years garden waste filled it up and then some.

Mulched the back and put in some plants.

All the turtles are up and about.

I am having issues with the newest rescue, I keep separating them, he may have to go!

Finally a chance to relax.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, what a lot of work!!! Sometimes people think us gardeners are a bit crazy working so hard on our yards, but it is immensely satisfying, both the work itself and the results.

Your daughter's rock labels are lovely; she is indeed very artistic.

Sounds like you do put a LOT of veggies in a bed...

I hope you aren't kidding yourself about the time when you can just sit back and relax... :) I have been in my new location a yer and a half now and I'm still waiting for that time to come.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Yes daughter is talented and a hard worker.
Thank you
The Hugel beds get planted a tad tighter because I grow more or less vertically in those beds.
I hear you on the relaxing.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

April 18th-21st, 2017

This was my first years harvest for my asparagus (2nd season). I harvested very conservatively and I am letting the rest go to fern to strengthen the roots.

Today I added the top pieces on the retaining wall and finished back filling the other two posts with stone, dirt then mulch. The top pieces for the retaining wall and fence are not screwed in yet, just like the top pieces on the fence, they will season until the fall then both sides will be stained before securing, hopefully this will eliminate or at least reduce the wood twisting or curling out of whack. I also picked up 6 cages to try for some of my peppers and eggplant, I don't like cages but these seemed fairly heavy duty, so I will be giving them a shot.

My brother and Sister in Law picked up these plants to give everyone for Easter, I put mine in by the back pond.

April 22nd-27th, 2017

Saturday morning... I hop out of bed all excited to start off my day gardening. First thing on the list, I put up my "Tree of Life", I really love this thing.

2nd thing on my list... irrigation line, so I moved to the front yard, I started digging out the front for the irrigation and it started to rain, after my happy moment subsided, I realized I am gonna get wet today. It rained the rest of the day but I wanted to get my front irrigation line dug in.
I Removed the pavers then dug in the 1/2 inch line, each section has a tee and shutoff, there are three sections.

I still need to replace the leaky hose bib, (note the crack in the body), before I can tie everything in.

As I was working on the irrigation, my plants came in so I decided to get them in while it was raining, I also used the rain to my advantage and done a bit of weeding. I got to tell you, I am completely dissatisfied with American Meadows, it's a disgrace how they ship their plants. This is the second shipment that was destroyed.

This was my first shipment.

Yes that's a plant, my Common Milkweed.

The rest of the day was pretty much shot, so I cleaned the basement and the workshop and put away most of my garden supplies.
Anyhow, here is what I planted this weekend,
  • Swamp Milkweed Cinderella
  • Bee Balm
  • Gaillardia Goblin
  • Butterfly Milkweed
  • Basil
  • Sunflowers
  • More Marigolds
  • Leeks
Sunday was much nicer. I cleaned up the back hill, de-cluttered a bit more, planted some more Marigolds and Basil, planted most of my Leeks and finished the compost bin. It's not real pretty but I need this area for my wood and garden supplies.

I changed the watering tube on the vertical tower to a much smaller diameter and tied in to the irrigation line.

I had a few pepper plants left over so I tossed a couple by the back pond and a few up on both ends of the retaining wall. I then made a turtle step,

this is where I access the hill and I was inadvertently compacting the soil every time I stepped off the hill. One of the turtles hibernates in this corner, so I dug it up and tossed in some mulch and sawdust. I'll loosen it up again in the fall before the turtles start hibernating.

I separated and dug out an area in the front lower yard for the leeks, filled with composted manure potting soil and planted the Leeks.

The Herb garden is coming along nicely, the Mints started to pick up, the Rosemary Survived the winter, The Horseradish is starting to flower, the Chives are budding and the Sage is looking lush.

Rosemary

Sage

Horseradish

Chocolate Mint

Chocolate Mint a few days later.

Chives

Spearmint

Later in the day I started working on the landscape lighting, but it's gonna be a major overhaul, most of the lights aren't working due to faulty connections.

Today I replaced the Hose Bib, of course it was not the same dimensions as the one being replaced, anyhow I got it together with no leaks, looks like $HIT but it works! My brother is gonna take a look at it and decide if we should redo it or put on a sleeve, to be honest, you won't see it once the hose holder is installed but its annoying just knowing it looks like that. I call junk like this "Easter Eggs", every time I build something, there is just one thing that peeves me and ask folks to find the hidden "Easter Egg".

It's been raining most of the week, so I've just been pulling weeds but not doing much anything else.

I did plant a bunch of Sunflower seedlings all over the place.

The tiger lilies bounced back pretty good.

Japanese Stewartia

Celebrity

Patio Princess

Sprite

Zucchini

Raspberry

Aquaponic peppers

Asparagus

Peppers, Tomatoes, Basil, Parsley, Snow Peas, Oregano, lettuce.

Peppers, Tomatoes, Basil, Snow Peas, Oregano, lettuce, Chives, Parsley, Bush Beans, Broccoli, Eggplant, Marigolds, Strawberries.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

April 28th – May 6th 2017

I got a lot done this weekend but not much from my list.

Friday after work I installed the hose hanger out front.
Saturday we stopped at a few local nurseries to get some flowers, we picked up some herbs as well, planted some Dill, Stevia, Lavender, Daisies and Sun-patients. I also picked up a few Water Hyacinths for the Koi Pond.

We cleaned up the patio, removed the rug, scrubbed with 409, sprayed down the patio and tidied up a bit. The rug cleaned up nicely.

I ripped out the landscape lighting around the back pond, it needs a complete redo, so I figured I would tear it out and start from scratch.
Reworked the Planter on the deck and planted some Daisies, the daisies that were in there died because the planter was holding water and froze after they started coming back. I emptied out the planter, enlarged the drain holes and put everything back.

Installed some foam on the fence to keep the dog and turtles from Squeezing out.

Installed the new inline filter and ran a 30' drip line on the retaining wall. The red tape isn't pretty but it sure does hold well!

A buddy called me up to help him remove some of his Magnolia tree, that took up most of Saturday and we almost ended up in the ER, My buddy fell out of the tree, well he more or less was shot out, when the limb he cut slapped him upside his head, no broken bones or lacerations but he was banged up pretty good.
He was going to toss the wood and I said, "No Way, let's put it in the back of my truck"!

Fresh wood has a lot of moisture, I guess I should have cracked the windows in the truck.

I installed the EMT Conduit vertical tomato supports on one side of the raised beds, and on the other side, I'm going to try a Florida Weave between two posts.

Started the vertical support lines on the hugelkultur beds. For the vertical supports I'm using wire leaders and Jute twine. This is my first year using this system but have had success with vertical supports using EMT. My main concern is the weight of the plants spanned across 36' of cable. My back up plan is a center support if the cable sags too much.

At the end of the season, the twine will be cut and composted, then the fishing line leader will be slid to one end.

After work today I picked up my Lights and some other supplies. I removed the hose from the pond area and had Stephen help me reroute it to the back of the playhouse, installed a hose hanger, hose and spray nozzle.

Now onto the fun stuff, today I Installed the lights by the back fence, I'm still playing with different patterns and will need to readjust when the plants grow in. I ordered another set of 4 and will accent the pond, the tree of life, and the front gardens.

Photo#1 - Lights spaced 18" apart up against retaining wall.
Photo#2 - Lights back to back up against retaining wall
Photo#3 - Lights at each post up against the fence.

Installed the backyard pond lights, I may look into a lower wattage flood light for the wall but will most likely keep the 40 watt on the waterfall.

Replaced all the incandescent Low Voltage bulbs with LED's

Finished the irrigation out front but may still run a 1/4" line to the pond and planters, but I need to cut a bit of concrete, maybe one day when I'm bored.

wisconsindead

Very nice garden!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

wisconsindead wrote:Very nice garden!
Thank you

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

May 7th - May 17th, 2017

I got a lot done this weekend but NOTHING from my list.
Installed some underdecking but still needs tweaks, this is definitely a case of "Functionality vs. Aesthetics in Design".

After I installed the extension I called up the Mrs. and asked her to grab me something for the Pit to do a test run.

OK The pit seems to be unaffected by the extension.

Started transplanting Chocolate mint to the curbside. The mint was doing well till the neighbors grandson ran it over with the lawnmower, but thats fine its just for a ground-cover, because junk grows here all the time.

The front gardens are doing real well.
Lavender, Calla Lilies, Oregano, Thyme, Stevia, Marigolds, Parsley, Dill, Gaillardia Goblin, Rogue Tiger Lily that I will dig out, I also planted some Swamp Milkweed and Butterfly Milkweed, but they didn't make it.

Herb Garden, Chocolate mint, Spearmint, Chives, Sage, Horseradish, Phlox, Tiger Lily, Day Lilies, Rosemary, Marigolds and some Rogue squash type plant I may let go for fun.

Sunpatients, Crocus, Lilies, Japanese Andromeda Pieris Japonica "Bonfire", Jack Frost Heartleaf Brunnera, Marigolds.

Irrigation for the front lower garden, I still need to do a few tweaks, mulch the rest of the gardens and hide the irrigation lines, replace the Y with my new Ball Valve Y, possibly run a line to the pond for Auto Fill?

Leeks, Vinca Minor Periwinkle, Japanese Stewartia that replaced my Beautiful Red Maple, and a three a 3 year old Rogue maple plant in there that I have been keeping for my neighbor.

Sprite Tomato, Basil, Parsley, Marigold?

Tiger lilies from the lower garden and a Dwarf Azalea that needs a new home.

Patio Princess Tomato, Strawberries, Parsley?, Basil, Marigold, Sunpatients. Leeks in the white planter in the back.

The pond - Yellow Iris Pseudacorus, Black Gamecock Iris.

Veggie filters for pond.

Top - Sunpatients
Lower - California Wonder, Ruby King, Poblano, Poblano, Corno Di Toro Giallo, Corno Di Toro Giallo. The Phlox is in the soil not the veggie filter.

Side patio - Celebrity Tomato, Basil, Parsley, Marigold, Lilly's

Side yard Hugel Bed - Matts Wild Cherry by fence, Ruby King, Corno Di Toro Giallo, Anaheim, Poblano, Black Beauty, Sunflower, Basil, Parsley, Marigold, Spinach, Swenson Snow Peas.

Asparagus

Raspberry

Mammoth Snow Peas
Black Seeded Simpson
Indigo Blue Berries Tomato
Abe Lincoln
Abe Lincoln
Corno Di Toro Giallo
CornoDi Toro Giallo
Cherokee purple
California Wonder
Anaheim
Black Beauty
Black Beauty
Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Poblano
Poblano
Box Car Willie
Box Car Willie
Brandywine red
Brandywine red
Ruby King
Oregano
Chives
Thyme
Black Seeded Simpson
Basil
Broccoli
Bush Beans
Parsley
Marigold
sunflower

Raised Beds
California Wonder
Black Beauty Eggplant
Brandywine Red Tomato
Abe Lincoln Tomato
Leeks
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
Cherokee Purple Tomato
Black Vernissage Tomato

Fence in the back, I don't think any of the Milkweed Plants made it

Elaeagnus ebbingei ‘Gilt Edge’
Corno Di Toro Giallo
California Wonder
Swamp Milkweed Cinderella
Bee Balm
Gaillardia Goblin
Tiger Lilies
Jalapeno
Butterfly Milkweed
Anaheim
Marigolds
Sunflowers

Trellis - Swenson Swedish Snow Pea, Marigold

Back Pond

Yellow Iris pseudacorus
Garden Pink
Camellia, April Remembered
Bee Balm
Ghost pepper
Tabasco
Chives
Oregano
Rosemary

Shasta Daisy and Marigolds on the deck.

I wonder what this is?

Woohoo! my sun came in.

I'm just worried that it will blend too much with the fence once I stain the fence, I may have to throw some light at it if it blends in too much.

Swapped out the 40 watt flood light with a 20 watt spotlight.

wisconsindead

Lots going on in that yard!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

May 18th - May 25th, 2017

I got a few things done this week and some were actually from my list this time, Yay!
  • Wired in the new Hugelkultur bed lights, they're not secured yet, I will secure them after the bed is stained.
  • Installed New Y valve
  • Ran some vertical support lines for the maters on the hill.
  • Mulched the front garden and in front of the new Hugelkultur Bed
  • Fixed some leaks on the under-decking still nee to fix a few more leaks
  • Installed a light for the cooking area.
  • Took off the storm door and reinstalled, it was hitting the bottom concrete pad and wouldn't close properly or latch properly.
  • Laura painted the back wall.
  • Scrubbed the patio, coolers and bench seat
  • Repainted the patio table.
  • Added composted manure to the Aquaponic peppers.
  • Lifted a bunch of pavers and added paver base to level the pavers better.
  • Fed all the flowers, veggies, herbs and shrubs.
  • Installed the new ceiling fan

Black Swallowtail caterpillars.

A few nights ago I inspected the garden with a flashlight to see what critters are decimating my plants. I found the culprits, Slugs, tons of them, real tiny guys. Whats odd is the infestation is only one half of the bed. I did dump some ash in the bed to the left so that may have helped.

So I decided to make some slug traps but first I needed a little bit of beer.

First I sprayed all the plants with Neem Oil, then laid out my Slug Traps.

Note the marigold plant bottom right. The sacrificial Marigolds are sort of working but I don't want to loose them either.

I put four slug traps in the 10' bed. After I set up the slug traps I sprayed all the plants with Neem Oil.

Trimmed the tomato plants to one stem.

I checked the beds last night and the slugs seemed to have disappeared. I did see a few slugs in one of the traps in the morning.

Maybe as a treat I'll feed the Beer soaked slugs to reds.

Installed the new ceiling fan.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

May 26th, 2017
Walkthrough

June 13th - 17th, 2017
My brother and I stopped at the "Fairmount Park Organic Recycling Center" to check it out and was quite impressed, we pickup up some compost to try in our gardens and Moms garden.
Walkthrough

Every year I let the tomato plants on the hill get out of control. Next year I'm going to purchase some Texas Tomato Cages.

I have been using the "chop and drop" method with the oregano and letting some flower to attract more beneficial insects, so far it seems to be working pretty good.

Getting plenty of "Buzz Pollinators"

June 22nd, 2017
Walkthrough
I got tired of looking at the broccoli, nothing was happening so I tore them out and tossed in the compost heap. Pulled and composted the Snow Peas, but left the roots in the soil.
Cut back all the lettuces, I wanted to leave a few flower but they got so heavy that they couldn't support themselves. I thinned out the Bush Melons, when I planted them I thought the package said Bush Beans, wrong, they were watermelons.
Moved a couple of the plants around, weeded then planted some Crimson Clover.

June 27th- 29th, 2017

Loving my new Hori Hori Garden Knife.

applestar
Mod

Looking GREAT! I love seeing the progression and watching your garden grow. :D

...at one point I was wondering what the light green "bushes" were ...then realize they were what became of those gorgeous lettuces! :lol:

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Looking GREAT! I love seeing the progression and watching your garden grow. :D

...at one point I was wondering what the light green "bushes" were ...then realize they were what became of those gorgeous lettuces! :lol:
Thank you
I love posting the progress not only to share but its a great way to reference things like what worked and what didn't. I just started a Harvest Page on my website to evaluate what I grow for future reference. Ill post that the end of the growing season.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 30th, 2017 - July 13th, 2017

I fertilized the beds with some 10-10-10 and some lime. In the future I am hoping to use cover crops and compost to build the soil without the use of any fertilizers. The reason I am using fertz this year is because it is the 2nd year with a few of my Hugel beds and the first year with the newest bed. I'm figuring they should stop pulling nitrogen around the third season.

A few weeks ago I picked up some compost from the recycle center and tossed in Moms garden and my garden. The compost looks good and 0 weeds so I picked up some more compost Saturday.

July 2nd, 2017
"Birdproofing" the Bar Roof.

Last week I repainted the bar stools, today my better half and I reupholstered the outdoor bar stools adding some additional foam.

I installed some RGB lights a few weeks ago, a few more tweaks and the bar area is done then I need to re-stain the deck and do some minor repairs.

Laura picked up some new seat cushions, a new patio umbrella and was gifted the blue hurricane lamp. All the deck lights were swapped out with new LED bulbs.

Not much going on in the garden, picked another zucchini, a few Box Car willies and a couple Corno Di Toro Gallo peppers for some skewers and tossed some Blood Meal in the gardens.

The frog in the Back pond is getting bigger, must be all those skeeters.

July 12th.
The back pond plants are doing well, I just planted some Quuen Annes Lace in the back corner to fill in a void, I get this weird type grass that grows there. The QAL is struggling a bit from transplant shock, hopefully it will come back next year.

Indigo Blueberries Tomato, the two on the left are ripe the other one is not ripe but was picked for comparison. These are OK but was more of a novelty for me, the flavor is OK, however with my limited space I am sure I can find something more to my liking to fit this area. The plant appears to be struggling but still producing. If it continue to struggle it will be terminated.

Box Car Willie in the first year hugelkultur bed. I really like these tomatoes, they are a good looking tomato, they ripen to a bright red, very hardy and prolific, great flavor, fairly thin skin, perfect for slicing for sandwiches.

this is the same cluster of tomatoes as above 12 days earlier.

Black Beauty Eggplants, these plants are doing well again this year, especially in the raised beds om the hill the one in the 2 year Hugelkultur bed has a few fruits also, the 2 in the 1 year Hugelkultur bed has blossoms but no fruit yet. Its hard to believe that I struggled with these plants quite a few years ago. The fruit to the right will be left for seeds and picked at the end of the season.

These are the same two as above a week earlier.

Corno Di Toro Giallo, this one is in the 2nd year Hugel bed and is doing fairly well this pepper is earmarked for seeds.

Here is another plant in my Aquaponics veggie garden, they seem to like it here.

This is my 2nd time growing Poblanos in the veggie filter and they seem to like it here as well. I usually stick a tomato spike in the planter earlyin the season and drop a small handful of 10-10-10 or Osmocote on top of the soil three times in the season. I am very careful about the fertz due to the Koi, frogs and Mosquito fish in the pond

The California Wonder in the Raised bed is producing.

Patio Princess.

Sprite

Celebrities.

Sunflowers are happy

Vertical gardens are doing well.

The marigolds have exploded everywhere.

this is a few days earlier

Brandywine Reds.

Black Vernissage

Brandywine red.

There's no signs of anything near ripening on the Abe Lincolns, Cherokee purples and Brandywine reds. We have been enjoying the Box Car Willies, Celebrities, Patio Princess and Sprite tomatoes for a few weeks.

wisconsindead

Looking Good! Love that bar. I bet I could drink many a beers there.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

wisconsindead wrote:Looking Good! Love that bar. I bet I could drink many a beers there.
My doors always open :D

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

July 15th - 18th, 2017

My sunpatients have never grown this big. The drip irrigation I put in seems to be working well.

I have the entire front lower yard on a drip line with the exception of the tree.

I picked my first Brandywine Red of the season, (Box Car Willie on the left)

I also got my first Abraham Lincoln picked, It seems that the AL are prone to splitting, sorry the photo I took was too blurry to post.
The most exciting and rewarding feeling I get from gardening is when I pick my first Eggplant, well other than seeing everything in my garden doing so well knowing it was all planted from seed!

This will be dinner tonight. I do have another that was ready a week ago but that will stay on the plant so the seeds can mature for harvesting. I will now be driving Laura nuts with all of the eggplant recipes I will be asking her to make, thank goodness she likes eggplant too!

Sitting by the back pond I realized the lights by the back fence weren't working.

Now how did he get a tomato

Leopard slug, This guy was huge, thats not a dime next to him its a quarter. and I'm a bit pissed that I offed 2 of them and found them to be beneficial.

Anyhow there were few up on the hill that big, I got the lighting working and learned a few valuable things... Don't off anything without researching it and DON'T wear socks ONLY on that hill!!!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Saturday I grabbed another Queen Annes Lace for the pond and dug up a few Blackberry plants I found in a parking lot at the industrial park. These things were growing through asphalt and there was barely any soil it was all shale and rock.

I don't have much hope for this one.

Just to make sure it's a Blackberry plant I ate a few!!

Hopefully this one will make it. There was Blueberry plant there but it has never bloomed.

applestar
Mod

Let's just go back to that giant slugs for a minute.... I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!! --- I was confident that we don't have any of those banana other hand-sized slugs around here and you are dashing my comfortable misconception!

...still the patten on that thing is actually quite attractive -- no wonder somebody named it leopard slug, and if it preys on the non-threatening, itty bitty, but obnoxiously voracious garden slugs, then by all means, let's have them!

...but... you haven't mentioned them in a bit but aren't you the one with the box turtles? Won't they eat the big slugs? Do they eat the little slugs?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Let's just go back to that giant slugs for a minute.... I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!! --- I was confident that we don't have any of those banana other hand-sized slugs around here and you are dashing my comfortable misconception!

...still the patten on that thing is actually quite attractive -- no wonder somebody named it leopard slug, and if it preys on the non-threatening, itty bitty, but obnoxiously voracious garden slugs, then by all means, let's have them!

...but... you haven't mentioned them in a bit but aren't you the one with the box turtles? Won't they eat the big slugs? Do they eat the little slugs?

LOL
I won the battle with the slugs in my Hugelkultur bed. Sluggo plus
Yes the turtles would eat these but it's out of their reach, this section of the yard is the back hill where I built the fence. The slug problem I had in the Hugelkultur bed is out of their reach as well.

I wish I would have started recording 20 seconds earlier, this guy was whacking that Box Car Willie all over the place, funny as hell.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Love it all! Congrats on the eggplant - that is quite an accomplishment imo, as they are exceedingly hard to grow where I am. Your turtle looks like he has a great sense of humor; hope he got a good meal out of it.

applestar
Mod

Hahaha that was soooo funny!

Image ....oh, thank you.... :lol:

...or maybe turtles are so patient they don't go gaaah ?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Hahaha that was soooo funny!

Image ....oh, thank you.... :lol:

...or maybe turtles are so patient they don't go gaaah ?

My daughter has another rescue she is bringing home, was hit by a car and the top of the shell is busted off, shell be epoxying him together and keeping him in the yard.

It's an ornate Box Turtle and supposedly they shouldn't be released into the wild.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Saturday Sam painted underneath the Bar Roof on the deck, thank you Sam , I hate painting and just couldn't do it, it took her all day, anyhow she said, "We need a new ceiling fan". So as she was painting in the 90° heat, I went down to the Air- Conditioned Mancave, popped on Netflix and ordered a new fan.

I Installed the ceiling fan last night and Sam loves it. I think it looks good too!

This fan has paid for itself, considering its not an outdoor fan and must be 10 years old, it still worked but was looking a bit nasty.

The tomatoes are starting to come off quicker and I keep chopping the basil. I actually sent a box of Basil to my wife's work for some of her co-workers.
I have one basil plant that smells a lot like anise, I am letting this go to seed to harvest the-seeds, I thought it smelled really interesting.

Brandywine Red left and my first Cherokee Purple.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

July 21st, 2017 - July 23rd, 2017
Brandywine red, these are doing real well this year, there is a little bit of splitting at the tops.

“Wing nite” with Stephen on the deck during a monsoon lol.

Starting to clear up.

The garden is getting near its peak and is getting a bit out of control, I really need to get in there and try to clean it up a bit.

I stopped at the recycle center Saturday morning and picked up some more compost then stopped over Moms and topped off her Hugelkultur bed and planted some broccoli, I also picked up another flat cut piece of wood. I needed a path in front of the new Hugelkultur beds and figured this would be nice for a few years before it rotted out, plus I save on buying mulch!

The Cherokee purples are doing well, I just need to pick them a tad earlier, they develop splits on the top and the ants are getting in the splits. I have been freezing the split maters and will roast them later for different things.

Dinner Last night, Brandywine Margherita Pizza.

Eggplant, Green Pepper, Black Olive, Onion, Mushroom Pizza.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”