This year I'm going to do things a little differently, for one, I will be planting later so the seedlings only need to be transplanted once into the solo cups, potting up into 1 gallon planters sucks!
Secondly, I will be planting some of my own harvested seeds.
Thirdly, I will not be using "rock wool" or any other growing material other than potting soil, everything will be germinated then transferred to the larger solo cups, I will be "broadcast" planting some things as well, this worked out well for the Leeks and peppers last year.
Here is my Grow area I made last year.
Here is my lineup so far.
- Herb, Rosemary
- Pepper Sweet, California Wonder HEIRLOOM
- Pepper Sweet, Corno di Toro Giallo Pepper HEIRLOOM
- Pepper Sweet, Ruby King
- Pepper Hot, Tabasco HEIRLOOM
- Pepper Hot, Jalapeno HYBRID
- Pepper Hot, Ghost chili HEIRLOOM
- Leeks, American Flag
- Leeks, Dawn Giant
- Herb, Parsley
- Herb, Basil
- Tomato, Brandywine Red (Potato Leaf) HEIRLOOM
- Tomato, Matt's wild cherry
- Tomato, Celebrity - HYBRID
- Tomato, Cherokee Purple - HEIRLOOM
- Tomato, Patio Princess - HYBRID
- Eggplant, Black Beauty - HEIRLOOM
- Eggplant, Unknown Chinese eggplant
- Watermelon, All Sweet ??/
- Watermelon, Bush Sugar Baby ??
- Tomato, Sweet 100 (From Feeney's) - HYBRID
Cold crops to plant wherever
- Lettuce, Black seeded Simpson - HEIRLOOM
- Lettuce, Red Russian Kale - HEIRLOOM
- Lettuce, Paris Island Romaine - HEIRLOOM
- Spinach - Long Standing - HEIRLOOM
- Radishes - HEIRLOOM
- Sugar snap peas
- Swenson Swedish, Snow Pea - (Vine) HEIRLOOM
- Mammoth Melting Sugar, Snow Pea - (Vine) HEIRLOOM
January 8, 2017
Although it is still early, and will be starting my seedlings in a few months, I have been gathering supplies and getting ready. I love the winter but I am also pretty excited about getting out in the garden.
I had my son shovel the walk
January 28, 2017
Finished building another hugelkultur bed, just need to put on the uprights and a few cap pieces, I have this build posted under raised bed gardening, "Raised Hugelkultur Beds", and will continue to update that as well.
February 12th, 2017.
The grow area is setup and reorganized as well as my seed starting tool box. I noticed that my one year old 1020 trays were split at the bottom, I decided to order sturdier ones for this season.
Rosemary seeds are started, I started another 10 seeds a few days later after reading up on the Rosemary Germination percentages..
February 16th, 2017.
These are Permanest Tray and domes that just came in from Indoor Garden Supplies. (lights are on just for the picture, there is no germination as of yet)
Tray# GS2211 and the dome is a V2211.
So far I am very impressed with these trays and domes, extremely durable.
I have a lot of other stuff going on I have to remove a stump and replant that area, I plan on moving all of my tiger lilies from the front herb garden and place on the hill, in its place I will be planting milkweed.
I need to bild a retaining wall in the back after I remove two more stumps, then I will be planting a row of tiger lilies along the back, this will most likely happen in the fall.