Anita.S
Newly Registered

Leaves of cucumber plant are turning yellow

Hello gardeners,

I have planted cucumber in a pot (since I did not have a separate garden space) and it has grown very fast. However, in-spite of the fact that it is growing very fast there are two things that worry me. Also, I live is a hot and dry climate, therefore I haven't exposed the plant in direct sunlight as it maybe very harsh, but it is placed outdoor.

1. Its leaves are turning yellow starting bottom to top. They almost have no leaves left at the bottom of the stem because all of them have dried off and turned yellow. I searched on the net and found out things like too much water, not enough water, magnesium or potassium deficiency. But what?? I water my plants every day and the soil is wet at all times with excess water being drained out from the bottom.

2. My cucumber plant has only male flowers since about a week now. I have understood that there will be female flowers in a few days but there male flowers are not blooming and are drying up and falling of the plant. Is this a sign of worry? If so, what should I do??

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_20161006_130123.jpg

applestar
Mod

It may take as much as a week to even 2 weeks before the female flowers start to show up -- they should appear further toward the end of the vines or on new side branches. Do you see any pollinating insects in the blossoms yet? By the time the female flowers develop, they will know there are flowers here.

I think the fact that the male flowers are blooming means it is getting sufficient light, but the plant looks weak. It might be better if it was getting at least the gentler morning sun, or was growing in dappled shade such as cast by tree branches or woven lattice, wicker, cloth.... but with the white wall, is it getting bright reflected light?

How big is the container? When did you fertilize last? Maybe the pale color and loss of lower leaves mean it is running out of nutrients? If so, the plant may not feel equal to growing female blossoms.

What are the day/night temperatures like now, and what will they be like later? Most gardeners in hot areas say cucumbers shut down in the hottest temperatures.

Anita.S
Newly Registered

Hi...

Thanks for replying... Sometimes I do see some insects/ bees. I personally feel sunlight may not be a problem because it is really hot with temperatures like 35 degrees during the day and 28-30 during the night. The pot is placed in a balcony space so sunlight falls not too far away from it and its always bright and because it is a creeper and all tied up I cannot move it.

Maybe I need to fertilize my plants.... or my container ( 20cm high) isn't big enough :(

Can you suggest me how to fertilize my plants at home?

P.S.: Sorry!!! I am fairly new to gardening but do love and enjoy it!!

imafan26
Mod

The pot may be small for the root mass of the plant and most fruiting plants do need to have enough fertiilyzer.

Anita.S
Newly Registered

Thanks..

I have got female flowers on my plant.... How long should I wait before I hand pollinate it?

There are a few bees around sometimes but not sure now... So should I wait a while or should I hand pollinate?

imafan26
Mod

If it is a parthenocarpic cucumber it does not need to be pollinated. Even parthenocarpic fruit can produce some males especially in the beginning. If it is a variety that needs pollination, just brush the pollen from the male anthers onto the female stigma early in the morning. Cucumber and squash flowers are only open for a few hours a day so that will be your only opportunity to pollinate them. gyenecious cucumbers usually have mostly female flowers but a few seeds in the pack will be a monoecious variety to provide male flowers. This is where it pays to know the characteristics of the variety you are planting.

Even if you live in a hot climate your cucumber should be able to grow out in the sun and would be happier at the right time of the year. Cucumbers were originally from India and Africa so they like warm temps 68-90 degrees. There are cultivars like the Alpha-Beit from Isreal that are even more heat tolerant and can take up to 100. If you pick the right ones and the right time of the year, I think your plants will be happier out in the ground in the sun or maybe under shade cloth in the ground than in a pot.
Your pot should be at least 50 liters. We grew cucumber in 3 gallon auto pots in the green house and production was not that great because the pots were just too small. The root system was small and so were the leaves and the fruit production was half of what we got using 65 liter dutch buckets. Cucumber need a lot of water and moderate amount of fertility.
https://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge_ce ... formation/

Sabine
Newly Registered

I got lots of nice,big,healthy male cucumber flowers. They started blooming about a week now,,but no female flowers,_Is this OK?,,how long does it take for female flowers to appear?

applestar
Mod

It IS OK. About 1 week to 10 days I think. Same with melons and squash.

My theory is that the male flowers start blooming first to attract and alert local pollinators, then when the females appear, there is a healthy congregation of bees already making daily visits. ...of course every time I say this, some folks report that their cucumbers/melons started with female flowers.... :?

I finally have first female cucumber flowers starting to open in one cucumber planting -- it looked like it had set fruit when I checked yesterday... they are still having a bachelor party in another bed, and 3rd variety has just started climbing the trellis gung-ho so hoping to see flowers soon! First of the melons with female flowers, too. :D

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”