jasonvanorder

Jasonvanorder's 2016 Garden

This year has a few firsts for me. As a kid parents always had a garden but really never changed things up. Always grew basically tomatoes peppers picks and squash. Well this year I took over the garden. Doubled the size and planted some new things. This years firsts include red and russet potatoes, yellow and red onions, garlic, watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkins. Also planted this year we have tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, winter squash, zucchini, green and yellow bush beans and cucumbers. So far everything is doing great except for the garlic and beans. Garlic was planted this spring because I didnt know it was supposed to be planted in the fall. And the beans got snacked on before I got the garden fenced in. Beans have been replanted so hopefully all will be good there.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Look at those zucchini!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

The onions look pretty darn awesome too!

imafan26
Mod

Everything looks awesome. Good job.

applestar
Mod

Looking great! What variety onions are those? I was just looking at mine yesterday, and one of three...no four..varieties are really bulking up and second one is noticeably starting, but the other two still don't look like much. I think I'm still trying to find the right growing technique or varieties. So far, long day types are better than intermediate is all I know for sure.

jasonvanorder

applestar wrote:Looking great! What variety onions are those? I was just looking at mine yesterday, and one of three...no four..varieties are really bulking up and second one is noticeably starting, but the other two still don't look like much. I think I'm still trying to find the right growing technique or varieties. So far, long day types are better than intermediate is all I know for sure.
The yellow onions are Walla Walla. Got them as plants. The reds were just generic sets that I picked up at the hardware store. Both planted at the same time. Ive read the onion plants produce a larger bulb over sets and from what I've seen so far I would say that's pretty true. I planted them pretty early for this area but we had a very mild winter. I was still able to till the garden the week between Christmas and New Year when normally the ground is froze and buried in snow.

jasonvanorder

Just one of the medium onions I pulled today. First time growing I think I did something right
Attachments
image.jpeg

MichaelC

Wow, that's as big as the sweets at my produce mart!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

WOW! That thing is HUGE! ( and she DID say it!)

applestar
Mod

Fantastic! :D

I'm hoping for a good onion harvest. I'm growing some that are not good keepers/sweets and plan to chop and freeze -- some for ready to use in the freezer zip bags and some in vacuum seal, some will go in salsa, etc., and THIS year, I might make some dehydrated onions and onion flakes... Some will be ground into powder.

jasonvanorder

Just a little update. In the last 2 weeks everything went crazy! We are getting a couple zucchini a day. Tomatoes are starting to ripen. Peppers are really starting to produce. Beans are doing great even after being replanted. Onions are ready to be pulled. Its going to be a busy rest of the summer for sure

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”