Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: Gary350 Garden 2016. Where is my hoe?

We harvested 97 ears of corn and cleared away the old corn stalks. The second corn crop should be ready in about 2 or 3 weeks with 180 ears of corn.

Beans are ready to pick again. I picked another basket of beans today from row #3.

We have 7 ripe watermelons that are very tasty.

We have 74 pints and 11 quarts of tomatoes canned in mason jars in the pantry.

Bell peppers are growing taller but that is all they are doing, no bell peppers all summer.

3 rows of potatoes should be ready to dig soon, I can hardly wait to see what is there.

Soon it will be time to plant garlic about 1 more month.

Okra is 6 feet tall now and finally making a good about to eat 2 times every week.

One row of tomatoes died from blight I think one of the other rows has blight too.

Banana peppers and Hot peppers are just now starting to make peppers.

2 of the 8 squash plants died, heat has slowed them down but cool weather will produce more squash.

Sweet potatoes are doing very good I hope to have about 100 lbs of potatoes when frost kills the plants about Halloween.

The days are getting shorter and the temperature is getting cooler next week I need to start thinking about my fall garden.

I am going to plant, broccoli, peas, Napa cabbage, Swiss chard, Spanish, turnip greens, garlic, beets, kale, soon.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Harvested 9.5 lbs of potatoes today.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Garden pizza, onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, olives, pepperonis, cheese, sauce. Bake 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The garden is making 20 lbs of tomatoes every day.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have enough tomatoes for the winter, 84 pints, 11 quarts.

Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have 280 ears of corn.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am getting ready for the FALL garden, garlic, broccoli, peas, potatoes, Napa cabbage, beets, kale, chard, celery, lettuce, Spanish, turnip greens. This morning the garden was full of so many butterflies it was impossible to count them all. Wow they were nice I guess I screwed up and tilled the garden too soon. I throw all the watermelon pieces, tomatoes, and other vegetable scraps in the garden it attracts the butterflies. Now the butterflies are gone, wish I had take pictures.

Photo 1 the 40 foot row of onions are gone, the 40 foot row of potatoes are gone, the squash are gone.

pic 2 the melons are gone.

#3 the first crop of corn is gone.

#4 the 40 ft row of beans that were between the corn and tomatoes are gone.

#5 The sweep potato plants are looking a little dry. Last week we had a sudden change is weather it is cooler this week. The bird feeders were full of birds last week but this week there are no birds. The tomato plants are looking better I sprayed them every day for 5 days with rust water to kill blight.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I planted some of my winter garden today, broccoli, rainbow Swiss chard, Napa cabbage, leaks, beats, radishes.

Soon I will plant 100 garlic, 33 celery, 40 foot row of peas, turnip greens, potatoes.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Everything looking good, Gary. Good job. Jars of tomatoes very pretty and will be some good eating. 'Bout to end up down our way = okra and peppers going strong, but tomatoes are cooking in this heat. I have 14 plants coming along for fall but no tomatoes yet. Will get some turnips, mustard and collards in the ground soon.

Dirt Man

Lettuce, beats, celery, chard, kale, napa, broccoli, peas, carrots. We are still having 90 degree weather and only 1 small rain in 6 weeks. It is a challenge to get the garden going with no water and all this heat. I also have 4 tomato plants 6 weeks old that may make tomatoes by November if this warm weather keeps hanging around.

Years ago I use to do lots of experiments in the garden trying new things all the time. These days I put all my effort into growing food for the kitchen table. This year I saved a lot of my own seeds to plant next spring this will save me $75 not buying seed or plant in spring. Tomatoes do good from seeds if I plant too many 1/2" deep directly in the garden so I can thin them out and transplant some. Everything grows good from seed if I plant at the correct time and soil depth in spring when soil stays wet in 65 degree day time weather.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

NO rain in 2 1/2 months the garden is so dry I can not get anything new to grow. It is still in the 80s it was 82 yesterday and 87 the day before that. Old plants with established roots are doing good. 8 tomato plants are makes a few tomatoes for salads. Bell peppers are making peppers not big yet but there are peppers. Sweet potatoes still doing good. Peas, broccoli, kale going good. I planted Russet potatoes 4 days ago I might have potatoes by January. Napa Cabbage looks good too. Everything else died we been gone camping 3 days every week for a month so no one here to water new plants so they all die.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”