Dirt Man

Re: Gary350 Garden 2016. Where is my hoe?

Lettuce, beats, celery, chard, kale, napa, broccoli, peas, carrots. We are still having 90 degree weather and only 1 small rain in 6 weeks. It is a challenge to get the garden going with no water and all this heat. I also have 4 tomato plants 6 weeks old that may make tomatoes by November if this warm weather keeps hanging around.

Years ago I use to do lots of experiments in the garden trying new things all the time. These days I put all my effort into growing food for the kitchen table. This year I saved a lot of my own seeds to plant next spring this will save me $75 not buying seed or plant in spring. Tomatoes do good from seeds if I plant too many 1/2" deep directly in the garden so I can thin them out and transplant some. Everything grows good from seed if I plant at the correct time and soil depth in spring when soil stays wet in 65 degree day time weather.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

NO rain in 2 1/2 months the garden is so dry I can not get anything new to grow. It is still in the 80s it was 82 yesterday and 87 the day before that. Old plants with established roots are doing good. 8 tomato plants are makes a few tomatoes for salads. Bell peppers are making peppers not big yet but there are peppers. Sweet potatoes still doing good. Peas, broccoli, kale going good. I planted Russet potatoes 4 days ago I might have potatoes by January. Napa Cabbage looks good too. Everything else died we been gone camping 3 days every week for a month so no one here to water new plants so they all die.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”