rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: rainbow's 2016 gardens

The kale was totally destroyed:
IMG_1381.JPG
I pulled it and the cabbages which weren't doing anything and were also in rough shape, so now have this:
IMG_1384.JPG
never did really figure out what was doing it. I saw ONE slug when I went out with flashlight. At one point when I was watering ONE grasshopper jumped away. And I found a couple harlequin bug nymphs. So maybe there was a lot more that I couldn't find or maybe it was just a combination of everything. I bought Neem oil then never got it together to use it.

Continued next post

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

NOTE: This is the third of three posts I made, just dividing it up because it was picture heavy. The first one is on the previous page.

The seminole pumpkins or whatever they are are ripening up:
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
How do I know when to harvest them??

We ate the first two ears of Silver Queen corn in this third planting. They were wonderful and the ears were completely filled out! You can see the squash showing some wilting even though it had been watered just a few hours earlier. Without that it would have been more severely wilted. Those vines are huge and wandering all over.
IMG_1402.JPG
Some things I have planted now are sprouting, mainly more squash and some potatoes:

You can see some squash and potatoes sprouted. Peppers and purple basil hanging in there. The sticks are to keep the dog from digging them up. Works pretty well.

Some yellow crookneck squash planted along the chain link fence. The weeds are mostly the neighbor's:
IMG_1397.JPG
Just for fun, one of the fence line flower plantings, color kind of washed out by the bright sun:
IMG_1398.JPG
So where I am now is still planting to fill in where things have been pulled. I still want to plant some more potatoes and to try a fourth (!) planting of corn. We still have three months until first frost! (Love gardening in the south!) so I think I can do it, though days are already getting shorter. Everything is an experiment since this is my first year here. But I think it is almost time I could start re-planting cool weather stuff, spinach and broccoli, etc.

In the past few days our weather pattern has finally broken; switched from mid to high 90's to low 90's and even some days in the high 80's! The garden started perking up immediately. Things looking better. I gave everything a top dressing of compost to help it recover. Butternut squash that had been sitting there with one squash on it, doing nothing for ages, suddenly put out another one. So I think I have made it through the worst that the summer here can offer and in an extreme heat and drought year.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”