applestar
Mod

Re: Toxic1979, Veg Garden 2016

Yep, its better to harvest the broccoli BEFORE the yellow flowers open -- some say when the little individual green buds are matchhead-sized. I freeze them like I do most of my extra vegs.

"Transparent in spots" in most cases often mean there is a leafminer inside -- between top and bottom layers of the leaf. You may want to examine more closely. (There will be frass somewhere in the clear pocket)

It could also be lens-effect sunburn from drops of water beading on the leaf, especially on cabbage-type waxy leaves.

Toxic1979

Thanks.

Ill look into the cabbage a little closer tomorrow, when I have light again. There a re few spots on the leaves. not trails though. I read up on the leaf miners and I figure it may very well be them. Ill double check tomorrow. So far this year, I've been amazed at the number of insects that I'm finding in our area, that I never knew we had.

Next year there will be cloth over everything. I've learned a lot this year already. Next year, use the coverings, spray beneficial nematodes in the spring and the fall, and hook up both fly zappers (bought two good for 1.5 acres each)... I may even try to convince the kids in our neighbourhood that catching slugs is a really fun game!

I'm just glad we don't have large spiders..... I'm petrified of spiders, We only get the small house spiders no bigger than your thumb. I know some of you are down south... and get some nasty big spiders. I believe one lady spoke of a family of wolf spiders giving in her garden. I would have sold the house... or burned it down! lol...

I will post a few pics of the cauliflower leaves tomorrow. I've gone ahead and harvested all broccoli that had flowers on it. 5 in total. Gave them to the neighbours... they loved them! Only 19 remaining. Ill harvest few more tomorrow, and maybe freeze them. The other variety we have is a later variety. I figure it should be a few more weeks before they are ready.

Toxic1979

Great to know that broccoli leaves are edible. Used as cabbage rolls for sure! ... or broccoli rolls!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”