Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Re: Lindsaylew's 2016 Garden

It's................ Yellow! Just like that Coldplay song! Best pic I could get...

The first Mexican mini bells:

applestar
Mod

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Clear would indicate a pink variety, where yellow indicates red?

I'm not knowledgeable about skin color.

Please elaborate importance. I think you may have already in another post! :() Lead the way!
Lindsaylew82 wrote:It's................ Yellow! Just like that Coldplay song! Best pic I could get...

You have it correct -- clear epi with red or pink flesh would be called "pink" and yellow epi with red or pink flesh would be "red". "Purple" is clear, "Black" is yellow. Technically, yellow flesh with clear epi is considered "white".

One genetic significance is that yellow epi is dominant and clear is recessive. So yellow epi on what is supposed to be clear epi fruit would indicate a mix up of some sort. Accidental cross, etc. It's always good to check the epi color. When trying to pinpoint a variety, clear epi significantly narrows the field.

Some tomato affictionados have been proposing that clear epi fruits tend to taste better, especially where antho varieties are concerned. But it's still up in the air.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmmmmm..... So you think this may be Black Cherry/ Antho cross? It was labeled Black cherry. The middle is pink with green gel, but it may have been slightly under ripe. It tasted generically "tomato"... hahaha!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Not much going on lately to post about! Tomatoes, squash, cucumbers are really rolling in. We mowed the beans down, to make way for okra attept #2. Having trouble finding available seeds. Everyone is sold out of okra. I may have some really old stuff hanging around somewhere. I know I need okra, dang it!

Tomatoes:

White Pink Stripe:

Mystery Ruffle Red/ Not German Red Strawberry:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The rest!

Squash, zucchini, pattypan, nasturtium, cucumber:

(And Apple Melon)

If we get one ear of corn, I'll be surprised! So far this is the only ear of corn in the whole bed! Another ear is starting! This plant is only 3' tall!

New beds!!! These have Golden Midget watermelon, Petit Gris De Renne melon, several heirloom tomatoes, ground cherries, asparagus, and dwarf figs, all the way around our ancient shed.

This one of the last 2 Coyote seedlings! I broke it off at planting time pulling off the lower branches to plant it deeper! I was so mad at myself! It growing back from its puny little stalk! Yay!

Also coyote:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

And these, there are still tons of these! Really, it's all that I can complain about at the moment!

...except for the serious lack of rain. Still hasn't rained since June 4.

A whole month with ZERO rain!

Happy 4th of July Everyone! May the locals keep the firework litter out of your garden!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes are really starting to come on! My Green Zebra went down with wilt. New growth from the bottom is looking healthy, so I'm hoping to save seed from those (if they produce again!) to grow next year, maybe some will start to show resistance and also heat resistance. I pulled the wilted vines and that's what the bright green tiny balls are.

Clockwise from the left:
Brandywine (Red)
Giant Pink Belgian
Pink Caspian
Cherokee Purple
Black From Tula
Valencia
Orange Amana
Green Sausage
Green Zebra

Big Kid picked and ate, on scene, all the Snow White, and Sungold she could find.

We have another big White Pink Stripe, and a large White Queen in the house for comparison tasting later this week!

Black Krim are sucky this year! I'm not convinced that I have the same plant as I did last time. It's puny...

applestar
Mod

In a word: AH-MAZING!

take-away impressions --

_ GORGEOUS PICKLES! :D (I HAD to put that first :lol: )
_ It's a JUNGLE out there
_ sucks that you are getting so many slugs when you're not getting any rain
_ "Big Kid picked and ate, on scene, all the Snow White, and Sungold she could find." LMFAO
_ Wah! *I* want tomatoes, too!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I water them daily.

2 days in a row I turned on the hoses, and fell asleep. I worked too much this past week, it's catching up to me, and I'm becoming a zombie. I watered one side for 3 hours, and the other side for 5! :oops:

Man said something about the water bill, to which I responded with a look that turned him around and shut him up... He could have turned it off, too....

Anyway... Most of them cracked fairly significantly! Hopefully they stay from rotting until they're ripe enough for sauce.

There were definitely more out there for picking, but I got called back to work.

Y'all be safe! I'm tired of working this weekend!!!

applestar
Mod

I've done that in the past ...Fall asleep, forgot, ( also failed repaired hoses ) -- I have complained to the family : "Can't you HEAR the water running? if not outside, then in the pipes?" Apparently only *I* can hear those sounds. :roll:

Anyway, last couple of times, (1) my NEIGHBOR rapid-knocked on the door to say there is a SWAMP on their side of the fence and the water is POURING out to the sidewalk (2) DH came home and told me the same thing -- water pouring out to the side walk and down the street! I HATE wasting water -- I've since modified my garden design to at least sequester excess water within the garden.

Betcha all that extra only got SUCKED UP by the surrounding dry Earth and your garden needed it. Too bad the sacrificial watering didn't cause it to rain cats-and-dogs -- that's the way it usually works here.

...your last comment -- you work in surgery or something like, right? I had to double-check the time and then wondered what you were doing up in the middle of the night until I saw that. (what me? I fell asleep early -9pm or thereabouts- woke up with a backache ...I sound so lazy in comparison :oops:)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

THANK YOU! for the compliments!

(Yes, surgery, and I'm currently hating my job right now after a seriously long string of nasty call backs that have been happening since Thursday night. Oh man! What I think I could do with 24 other human free hours! So. Glorious. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep right now! Getting out of the bed a few minutes ago....misery!and have to work 10 hours today! Man I'm grouchy! But I'm off call now!!! So I'll get off my soap box! For now!)

:shock: OMG! I CAN HEAR IT TOO!!! :shock: Moreso in the back of my house near the meter! I can hear rhythmic clicking!

Resident Ma tilled up my used up bean spot yesterday, and said its on the verge of mud, and that I should likely knock off the frequent watering. Can't! Corn will die! (But I think that it's a loss anyway...) we won't get any squash or zucchini. Miss my every other day watering schedule, and they stop producing.. Especially since they are no heavily infested in SVB. They need the extra.
We started seeing BER when I started cutting back.

Temps have cooled slightly. Enough that the tomatoes have started making more fruits higher in the canopies! Now is the time for Brandywine! They will start putting out now, despite they Blighty attitudes!

I really hate wasting water, too!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's ready!

Not German Red Strawberry:

It's close to a pound. It looks like a super meaty beefsteak type tomato on the inside. My phone died, or I would've taken some pictures. It's beautiful on the inside. Slippery meaty flesh without any hint of mealiness. Resident Man said it's the best we've tasted this season. I thought it was sweet and rich, but it lacked that lingering acidity that I appreciate from a perfect tomato. I did find it to be very, VERY good.

We also compared White Queen with White Pink Stripe, and Orange Amana (Apple, you need to try these) to Valencia. I have required reading to do tonight, so I'll post those later.

I'll be saving seeds. There's at least 8, maybe 10 more on the vine, 3 are ripening now. It's productive, and fairly disease resistant, heat and drought tolerant once it's established.

It's been a long time since I've been this impressed with all parts of a tomato plant. It's a real winner IMVHO.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

That is one beautiful tomato. Definitely save seeds.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

This one is only mildly ruffled. The others are much more interesting!

I think I love this one!

applestar
Mod

Sounds great! :-()

...Amana Orange -- yes! I have got to try it ...it's hard to find good ones in the yellow-orange colors.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:shock:

Somebody is gonna have to do some canning this weekend!

It rained for a minute or two tonight... I'm not counting that as rain.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Mystery Ruffle. Not German Red Strawberry! Dabs armyworms got started on it. Didn't see this till I got it inside! It's slightly underripe! Started raining, so I got all scared they would crack! Picked anything with a slight blush.

I think I'll save seed from the doubles, just to increase the likelihood of doubles!

applestar
Mod

Wow so big! So definitely not Charlie Chaplin which is smaller.
-- looks like a red to me right now, but be sure to do the epi/skin test. If the gel is green then this would be a "Black"

Are you saying a double is a rare occurrence? I can't remember now.

Is it like these?

Costoluto Genovese
https://www.rareseeds.com/costoluto-genovese-tomato/

Zapotec Pleated Tomato
https://www.seedsofchange.com/quickfacts ... FirstImage

...not as ruffled as these?

Coeur De Boeuf - Tatiana's TOMATOBase
https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Coeur_De_Boeuf

... here's a pink variety (pink = clear epi)

pink wrinkle tomato Pitanga
https://tomaten-bohnen-pfirsich.blogspot ... tanga.html

...and just for fun, here's a yellow variety

Florentine Beauty
https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.php ... ne-beauty/

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I would say definitely closest to Zapotec, than the rest. The seller doesn't sell that variety though, so I don't think that's it. It's definitely red. Yellow epi. Can't remember the gel color. There are two doubles on the plant, the rest are singles, but still ruffled. Some heavily pleated.

MichaelC

Hi Lindsay -

This is my first go-around with green zebra. How do I know when they are ripe?

BTW, it doesn't have a ton of vegetation, but my Stupice is making tons of fruits. The trusses are so long I had to break out the cardboard.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They turn bright yellow with green stripes. Mine is toast. I don't think I'll try it again. It's just isn't happy here.

I love stupice! Mine isn't getting overly tall though! Just bushy! The weather is making it fruit weird shapes, which I'm enjoying! I may save some seeds from the odd shaped ones.

Powdery mildew is bad in the cucumber patch. I'm seeing it in the squash and zucchini as well. I think it may be too late. The last 2 times I've attempted to spray, it immediately rains.

Speaking of, we had one HECK of storm blow through last night. It poured for 30 minutes or more. The ground is still damp tonight. No noticeable bad cracks. Monster zucchini though!

I'm really enjoying this garden! It's been an easy year for us, and so far the bounty is plentiful!

applestar
Mod

You migh want to give JUST milk and yogurt solution a turn. Use rainwater or de-chlorinated water, and let the milk and yogurt mixture culture a bit before thinning with a bit of water, then strain into the sprayer with more water. I like to spray this on wet/damp foliage to give the bacteria a chance to settle in -- morning dew or after rain -- when it's not sunny that the solution would dry up right away.

You can also "cheat" like I do when doing huge areas and use hose end tree and shrub sprayer -- put the milk/yogurt mixture straight in the sprayer and the thing should dilute it -- I don't do this often because the tap water is chlorinated and may diminish effectiveness.

The idea is that bacteria will create their own biofilm to stick onto the foliage. Also, some say it's the milk protein that helps to prevent fungal issues and the protein sticks on as the solution dries. Some also say that spraying thoroughly means the solution drips down into the soil and THAT is beneficial for the root zone or that it feeds the plants (in other words, it doesn't matter if the solution gets washed off)... I don't know any more, but it works for me.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

About that....

I was reading another topic about probiotics, and was curious about adding that to a sprayer...

Of course you'd be missing out from the protein..

We just don't drink milk, or eat dairy. Both my kids are allergic to milk, so we never have it. I have to buy it special for the garden. But I'll definitely try this.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Mystery Ruffles :: Not German Red Strawberry insides:

Some of it was cut away from army worm damage that had begun to mold a little... This one was a little seedier than the last. I saved some from the parts I cut away. They'll be ready for sharing some time next week.

I found this monstrosity it the squash bed this morning! It's the biggest slug I've ever seen! As big as 2 of my fingers!

Took forever to scrub the goo off Big Kid's fingers after this handling... If anyone knows a trick to getting the slime off, please share!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Yikes on the slug, but the tomato looks beautiful

applestar
Mod

Are you KIDDING ME? That thing looks like it crawled out of the ocean! It actually reminds me a bit of abalone.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It was so big. And soooooooo gross!

imafan26
Mod

I try to use chopsticks but when I find them I don't always have gloves on. Rubbing salt on my hands first helps, wipe it off with a dry paper towel, then wash with soap and water.

Kerathome

I just read through your entire journal! You've given me much to aspire to, neighbor! So far what little we've grown has been eaten, but learning to can (jar?) Has been on my mind. My Roma's and Marzano plants are doing well enough that I think I can at least put some sauce away.

I showed my husband the pictures of the tomatoes on the counter, and he remarked that your wine glass rack under the cabinet is a sure sign that we would be fast friends, lol. He didn't see any crochet hooks, otherwise he would consider it destiny that I should find someone so close on a gardening forum, ha ha ha.

I think I might start a garden journal around here - I've got lots of progress photos, but I feel like a poser since I didn't grow a thing from seed. I guess I better order seeds so I'm ready for next year :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

He didn't see any crochet hooks
They're under the bed... BAAAHAHAHHA! I suck at it though.... :roll:

Every single one of us has something to offer. I enjoy very much looking at everyone's progress blogs! You shouldn't think yourself a poser. You may be experiencing something in your garden that no one here has seen. You may also be experiencing something that you have remedied, and that someone else needs help with. NO one here should make you feel as if you were a poser. This is a sharing and gardening site! We are all here to help, even you!

Most of my tomatoes, and all my peppers were purchase plants! and I ain't got one bit of shame in that! :mrgreen:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Well, I let my plain yogurt milk and water mixture sit for most of the afternoon. Sprayed in on the plants and sundown. was out there until almost too dark to see, and then....... It. Started. Raining! I mean DANG! We had a big fat ZERO chance of rain tonight, but the sky gods know when I'm trying to spray.... UGGGGGGGGGGGH!

Killed several squash bugs tonight on both the cukes and the squashes. The first I've seen in several weeks. The spray must have brought them up. I also saw several egg clusters that I hadn't seen earlier. I'm gonna have to be a little more vigilant in the use of neem.

The heavy storm we had the other night must have done several of the tomato plants in. Pink Caspian wilted. as did the remaining Green Zebra. I was trialing Pink Caspian, and I don't think I will continue it next year, We enjoyed Giant Pink Belgian much more. Pink Caspian gave slightly more fruit, but its dead now, and GPB is still producing.

Some of the more ruffled Not German Red Strawberry began to ripen. I picked them because there is a rogue caterpillar out there sampling all the tomatoes bite by bite. These things are really nice looking!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

First Apple Melon! It's beautiful! It was down near the bottom of the vine burried in the wheat. It tastes faintly of.....dirt.... An earthy honeydew. The stem end was bitter...likely because of our drought. I like it! I'm happy about it!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I watered last night..............alllllllll dang night. Ugh. I'm losing my mind I swear.

Toxic1979

Well said... I don't have many that share the same issues that I have in north eastern Canada, but I have learned so much on this forum, and most of the folks are so helpful here. So glad I found the forum when I did! lol

Lindsaylew.... yeah I don't get slugs anywhere near the size of that thing. It almost looks prehistoric to me... like there should have been fossils nearby! I won't even show my wife that pic... she'll quit gardening. lol

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Haha! That's the only one we've seen larger than a centimeter all year!

We had our family vacation last week! Stayed in Murrell's Inlet, SC. It was near perfect weather the entire time. It never rained. The beach was hot, but the breeze was cool. The water was fairly clear, but full of Jellies. We all had our fair share of stings... We had such a good week together! We all came back looking like 3 bronze goddesses! Resident Man got a sunburn, and came back looking splotchy.
We came back home yesterday. The garden has suffered from the obvious lack of my near constant doting. Tomatoes are nearly all wilted. Some boiled in their skins and they're just hanging on the vine. There are literally thousands of Squashbug eggs on lots of wilted plants. Cucumbers went down. The container garden pretty much dried up. It needs to be cleared away, but I have too many school assignments to take care of it today, it will have to be managed later.

The new garden around our shed looks really nice. I think I may have coyote tomatoes by the end of the week. They need to be staked badly... Maybe I will send out RM with instructions. I think we need new posts, I don't want to spread the garden funk to the newbs.

We have ground cherries! Tasted my first one, and I'm in love!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Yay! for vacations, but it sure is disappointing how our gardens fare in our absences! Anyway, what is a coyote tomato? Is that a variety or mean something like a volunteer tomato?

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

By the way, I love your thread - best descriptions, humor and pics!

applestar
Mod

Welcome home, Lindsay! And I second that KItchenGardener -- love reading Lindsay's posts :wink:

I bet her plant will be bigger, but here's my Coyote -- it's a tomato variety with small (sometimes called "currant" size) "white" -- yellow with clear epi -- fruits. Originally a "wild" tomato from Mexico -- it tends to sprawl and grow tentacles of vines. I'm trussing mine up like a chicken and it still looks like this:

Unique sweet flavor that bursts in your mouth. Tendency to fall off the vine when ripe, splits when I put the ripe fruits in cold bucket of water to wash, NOT a good keeper due to high sugar content -- and I always recommend eating within a couple of days or freeze any that has split or lost skin at stem end right away.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

THANKS YALL!

Mine are about 2' right now, but they are viney and very leggy, for no apparent reason aside from that just being their habit? Idk, they are crawling all over the asparagus!

I picked 3 bucketfuls of tomatoes out in the garden. They were pretty eaten up, and I found several really large climbing cutworms that I assume are the culprits. I picked 4 zucchini the size of my leg, and about 20 pounds of cucumbers the size of my arms! Zesty Zucchini relish, Dill cucumber relish, and hopefully tomato sauce if I can keep the tomatoes from rotting. I may pop them in the fridge or freezer.

Peppers are really ramping up with the more frequent rains. I made 4 small jars of pickled banana peppers tonight!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”