MichaelC

Re: MichaelC's 2016 garden

Lindsaylew82 wrote:But you can just start most of those seeds right in the garden and they'll be up within a week or 2! Most of them anyway! Squash, peas, beans, okra, corn, Cukes... They all go right on in the garden dirt! Just till a little earlier, or even better, just don't till! Add a layer of compost, and then just remulch!
I've thought a little more about this. The trellis area where I grow beans and peas is against a wall and thus a little bit sheltered. It never gets walked on but is adjacent to a path. I've built a trellis robust enough to be left in the ground and merely restrung.

Next year, I could mow the cover crop from that area and the path earlier than the rest, not till that portion but just cultivate the topsoil, and I could get pea and bean seeds going much earlier than the rest of the garden. I could maybe even strategize enough to get my cucumber trellis and area set that early too.

I don't know if I'll do it, but you've got me to seriously consider my options.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Looking great!!!

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Michael - what cover crops do you like to use?

MichaelC

j3707 wrote:Michael - what cover crops do you like to use?
It's a mix of fava beans, hairy vetch, rye, and crimson clover. But the clover never gets anywhere because the others grow taller much quicker. I think these two photos are from the same year - not this last winter but the year before:
10849881_10152877840270926_5964591776937759953_n.jpg
10666094_10152988520245926_1690963607377149126_n.jpg
It gets mowed down a few weeks before planting and tilled into the soil.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

That's intimidating to look at! All those dense "weeds"!

The second Stupice is ripening! It cracked pretty bad around the top. :( How's your Stupice coming along?

j3707
Green Thumb

Lindsay, all that fertility and biomass...it's a thing of beauty! 8)

MichaelC

Lindsaylew82 wrote:How's your Stupice coming along?
It's only been a few days since the last photo. It's doing fine, getting its first trusses started like the other tomatoes. It's the slowest growing of this year's tomatoes.

OMG Lindsay, it is a lot of hard work chopping down that mass and working it in to the soil. But it's been of tremendous benefit to my soil.

j3707 -

This is the first year I've mulched. It sounds like you are experienced with cover crops. What am I supposed to do with the mulch (fir bark) when I go to seed my cover crop?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

j3707 wrote:Lindsay, all that fertility and biomass...it's a thing of beauty! 8)
Oh I fully agree! My knowledge agrees, but my eyes see all that and I get a little nervous sweat!
It's the slowest growing of this year's tomatoes.
It's definitely the fastest grower here, and it's ripening within 2 weeks of fruit set.

applestar
Mod

I love seeing how you are working with cover crops. I REALLY wanted to, but have found it takes some creative thinking to work cover crops into my own gardening scheme when Not using power tools and tilling. So I've done a lot of armchair cover cropping, some sweat and toil (and some genteel swearing), more noodling. I do more composting, mulching and trampling (in paths), and longer term using winter freeze as part of the decomposition process.
MichaelC wrote: j3707 -

This is the first year I've mulched. It sounds like you are experienced with cover crops. What am I supposed to do with the mulch (fir bark) when I go to seed my cover crop?
Not j, but I think this will depend on availability of the fir bark mulch and your willingness to get completely new supply of mulch.
Also, what you are using as cover crop and what you will be planting in the same bed next season.

(1) rake off all the mulch and pile somewhere, seed bed with cover crop. AFTER tilling In the cover crop (and planting), cover with same now composted fir bark mulch or get a new supply of mulch. Note - Some crops are better sown or planted by pushing aside the mulch.
(2) till in the seasoned mulch -- think of this as very lightweight version of hugelkultur but there will be some nitrogen tie-up so maybe add a layer of compost or soak with AACT (actively aerated compost tea) first -- then seed with cover crop, etc. Get new supply of mulch next season.

(3) ...I just now had this idea so I am not entirely sure if this is a viable option but -- inoculate the fir mulched bed with compatible mushroom spawn ...a species that would grow in composted mulch and garden litter --- a completely different sort of "cover crop" -- cover crop and till in after spawn run and mushroom production is over.

j3707
Green Thumb

I rate myself as a beginner, but like applestar said, I would rake the mulch out of the way and I'd want to eventually get that mulch composted and mixed into the soil (assuming it is just straight untreated/uncolored bark). A couple more thoughts to build on what applestar said:

(4) You could compost the mulch separately while the cover crop grows, then knock down the cover crop and cover over it with the old bark, then cover over that with fresh bark as needed. A sort of no-till lasagna method.

(5) If you would rather till, consider tilling in the old bark and cover crops at the same time. Mixing the green/brown into freshly aerated soil may help further compost the bark. Then cover with fresh mulch.

I wish I could do more cover cropping. My current goal is to have a 4 season garden, so I will need to integrate cover cropping into that model as I can...I wish there was a 5th season just for cover crops!

MichaelC

OK, it's time for some updated photos. First, the tomatoes. These are all about three feet tall except for Sweet Million. All are flowering but flowers not visible in all photos.
mwc.jpg
Matt's Wild Cherry. First to set fruit! Same as last year's, not a very thick stalk but it wants to go everywhere.
os.jpg
Orange Strawberry. This guy has grown skewed to one side and will be difficult to keep staked as the season goes by.
gz.jpg
Green Zebra. So far a very hardy grower!
sm.jpg
Sweet Million. The replacement plant is catching up. You can see the intense forest green of its foliage!
yp.jpg
Yellow Pear. Looks just like last year's.
st.jpg
Stupice. By far the slowest grower this year, but looking good. The twin trusses coming from the same node are a good sign, I think.
Last edited by MichaelC on Thu May 26, 2016 1:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

MichaelC

And for the rest.
vol.jpg
First up, the volunteer MWC tomato, which is looking great! As you can see in the photo of the mature plant in the above post, MWC is a serious sprawler, and the fruit weigh nothing. So I think I'm going to just let it do its thing - no stake, no pruning, just see what happens.
cukes.jpg
Cucumbers are looking good. Flowers have just started and I'm expecting a flush in the near future.
beans.jpg
We're going to be eating beans soon! I'm still waiting to see whether perhaps these are really bush beans that were mislabelled. They're only about a foot high. I've never grown bush beans so all I know is this is a lot different from last years Blue Lake pole beans!
car.jpg
Container carrots going to be harvested in a week or two. I took one shot of Purple Jalapeño, which has set a beautiful ringlet of flowers. But the photo I took was lousy and now it's too dark to retry. Overall the peppers look like a bust again this year. I'm not really too keen to show them off.

MichaelC

Stupice has put out two trusses from the same node. Not all the blossoms have opened yet, but I counted ten blossoms on one and at least ten on the other. You'll likely have to view full size.
truss.jpg

MichaelC

Today I have a bad update. Temperatures rose suddenly by 30 degrees today, and despite plenty of water, I have some major wilt damage. It looks like some of this tissue won't be coming back. Here are a few photos:
pearwilt.jpg
zebrawilt.jpg
mwcwilt.jpg
What can I do about this for tomorrow?

For Lindsay, a couple shots of Stupice, which did not suffer terribly today. That is some insane leaf roll, but it seems happy enough!
stupcurl.jpg
stupfruit.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

That is really strange!

Here is mine: Took it today for your comparison! It's 5' tall, and loaded!

I'm wondering if you might have too much nitrogen going on? I'm curious what others think!

Here is my black Krim, really struggling this year, although it had a very good year last year!

MichaelC

I just took a look outside, and it looks like everything recovered except for the top growing shoots of the Green Zebra, sadly the site of many flowers. Should I clip off the parts that don't recover? I haven't had this happen before.

I think I have some white sheeting that I can drape down from the top of the stakes tomorrow if need be, but the temperature is suppose to return to normal.

Too much nitrogen is possible. How does that contribute to the leaf roll? Anyway, the Stupice is doing well despite its freakish appearance. It stood up to today's heat wave better than most. I've stopped pinching the suckers since it isn't growing like a jungle as the rest are. It's already set a nice number of fruits, though Matt's Wild Cherry was first.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've never tried MWC, but I've been curious for years.

High nitrogen fertilizers, or soils high in nitrogen promote lush green top growth at the expense of inadequate root growth. So the plant gets hot up top on super hot days, and transpiration increases! But if the roots are inadequate, then the plant can't uptake water as quickly as it transpires. Leaf roll is a way for the plant to slow down transpiration.

I never trim suckers!

MichaelC

Matt's Wild Cherry is a winner! Last year it gave me many pints of incredibly flavorful, tiny fruits. It's a serious sprawler, the one I actually planted is using yards of gardening tape to maintain. So far, I've resisted the temptation to do anything to the volunteer plant except feed and water it.

I've got a slew of new photos but not the energy to deal with all the writing and linking tonight.

I pulled the row of bush-beans-sold-as-pole beans today. In total I harvested maybe a pound and a half, hardly worth the effort and expense. What a disappointment. I sowed some blue lake pole bean seeds in the empty part of the trellis last week, and they sprouted. So, tonight I planted more across the space the bush beans were using. I figure by the end of the summer I'll be getting the quantities and shade I was expecting.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”