ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I have green!!!

Just a little green but still green! I had used up a bunch of my old seeds and planted my greens and peas early. I also spread some onion seed in a couple pots but since the seeds were pretty old I had little hope they would grow. I checked this morning and the kale (newer seeds) have sprouted except in the pot the squirrel dug up. Peas are starting to sprout. Lettuce is sprouting too. Onions, nothing. Oh well, I figured there wasn't much hope there. Spinach seeds are still hard and not doing anything but they take a bit longer. Now I need to find my radish seeds and plant them in the pots with kale, and replant the pot the squirrel dug up.

Most of the pots are now covered with cage wire. A time consuming and expensive endeavor. Eliminating the culprit would be so much simpler. Then another would probably move in. It's a problem I've had since we've been here. It seems like every year some critter tries to destroy or devour the fruits of my hard labor. Most times the critters win, at least for a little while.

webmaster
Site Admin

Very exciting! :)

applestar
Mod

Sounds great! You reminded me that I have several new to me varieties of radish to try out. Now where did put those....? :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY!!! Isn't it wonderful! Me too! :) As of yesterday, kale, chard, spinach, and peas had sprouted. Kale is farthest ahead, with actual little plants. All the rest is just starting. Corn isn't showing, but I got curious and dug around until I found one of the seeds I planted and it had an inch and a half of root! Very exciting!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

And now we're supposed to have several nights in a row with sub-freezing temps. Guess I'll have to break out the frost curtains. I know kale, lettuce, and peas can handle cold and frost but temps are predicted to go down to 28F in the city, colder out in the country.

For frost protectors I use sheer curtains. I can pick them up at the thrift store pretty cheap and they are incredibly durable and very fast drying.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah we have a cold spell coming too. The coldest night will be Sunday and it is predicted that it might hit 32. Kind of strange since it was 85 (!) today. I think all my little seedlings should be OK.

Today with warmth and rain yesterday, the little spinach seedlings were visibly bigger by the end of the day than they were at the beginning. And I got half my potato patch ready and planted!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

32 won't hurt the seedlings but the 28 or below might. In the fall this area doesn't get frost like we do in the spring. The tree has leaves on it until way after the late frosts and that keeps the frost off the plants below. But now it has no leaves and I have to worry about the low temps.

Just a couple days ago I was out in a tank top and shorts. Even got a bit of a suntan. And now back below freezing over night. Strange strange weather. But at least this year I don't still have frozen soil 2 inches down in the garden.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Well, some good, some bad news. In a couple of the pots where I saw green, there is none now. We had some dry weather and I didn't water the pots so I guess those couple pots dried up. But the onions are up! Strange because the seed was around 5 years old. I should have written it down and the packages are long gone.

A few peas are up in one of the pea pots. Not very many, only about 3 out of close to 200 seeds.

Spinach, still nothing.

Kale, still looking good. I transplanted a couple plants from one pot into the pot with none and they are fine, even though I forgot to water them in.

At least I have time and seed for replanting. It was a gamble anyway. Old seed and still way to early for normal planting season in Ohio.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”