Toxic1979

Re: Applestar's 2016 Garden

You certainly keep very busy in the garden, and all the hard work definitely shows.

applestar
Mod

Thank you! :D

applestar
Mod

Mine is definitely a backyard garden. I do like that we have fresh harvest of something practically every day, even if it's small quantity :D

TL: First fig among blackberries, a strawberry, and some tea Jasmine blossoms
TR: baby and young carrot thinnings, Hari eggplant, Butta zucchini, chickpeas
Image BR: ...these onions are kind of runty...

BL: ...these are the last of the soup peas -- Blauschokker Blue. Between these and the two Marrowfat harvests, there should be enough for some soup. ...but I'm finding it hard to really grow enough quantities of peas, so fresh or dried, home grown peas are only special treats. I have renewed respect for those frozen bags of peas we have been casually buying and consuming....

I AM going to try growing some for fall harvest this year.

applestar
Mod

I found onion maggots just starting to burrow into some of the onions today. I was out there peeling all outer layers and rinsing off the maggots from these. The necks had already collapsed on them. The maggots were tiny, some just hatched, and not far into the onions yet.
image.jpeg

I think I'm gonna pull the biggest best ones in the next couple of days and process them for freezing. I don't even want try to cure/store them -- inspecting every single one and cutting out any iffy parts.

Toxic1979

If it helps at all... they look real tasty!

applestar
Mod

Thanks so much :D I think they will be fine once cleaned up and then frozen for taking out and cooking. I've been told that it's best to vacuum seal them in useful portions to minimize onion odor permeating throughout the freezer. :mrgreen:

````

- These are the last three Giant Russian Marble Purple Striped from SFHX -- I keep saying last garlic... then remember more that I forgot to dig up -- price of planting them here and there :lol:

- A blue pail half full of blackberries this morning, but they looked more impressive in the wire colander after rinsing :wink: I believe this is a little more than a quart -- maybe 3 pints. I gave 1 qt to my parents :D

- I harvested some more onions. These had bent necks but not entirely collapsed yet. Some just hatched maggots in some of them, and others with marks where I believe eggs might have been oviposited. I cut those parts away. Two good sized Butta zucchini. The plants are loaded with female blossoms, but I'm not counting my eggs. SVB's and leaf-foots are here. :x

- one of Maid of Orleans Arabian Jasmine has been loaded with blossoms every morning. I'm continuing to put the fresh blossoms in with my 1/2 full special canister of organic green tea from Japan in the freezer. As of this morning, the canister is full, so I'm going to have to start forcing fresh blossoms in, crumbling the frozen blossoms, OR move them to a larger container....

Toxic1979

The blackberries look so good! I'm not sure if they'd grow up here... wish they would!

...I'm thinking a blackberry cobbler! mmmm

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I can't remember what it's called, but there is a species of viburnum that ONLY grows up your way in the north, and according to a well known wild forager, it's the best tasting out of all the viburnums. I always wanted to try it, but of course right at this moment I can't remember what it's called.... :roll:

...I looked up some blackberry cobbler recipes... :wink:

applestar
Mod

Blackberries blushing on the front side of the fence between garage and West Garden Gate.

Onions on picnic table bench and cleaned and ready to bring inside in a 2 gal bucket
(I'm satisfied with doing it this way but... those dratted onion fly maggots :evil: (grumble :? ) )
-- These are Ailsa Craig, Red Torpedo Tropea, and WallaWalla.
Ringmaster White Spanish are not ready, though I may HAVE to pull them anyway.
They were mostly planted as transplants on 4/17)

Started a nursery seedbed patch of mixed brassicas under a pop up mesh protector

applestar
Mod

Kandy Korn x Glass Gem F1 in the itty bitty VGB bed are going bananas.

...due to the tight space and crowded conditions, only three stalks seem to be growing to their potential, but these three each have three silks emerging per stalk.
They are way too tall for me to attemp hand pollinating. Contenting myself with shaking the stalks and flapping the tassles. The runty stalks have their purpose though, they are just the right height to flap the tassles at the lowest silks. :D

In the Sunflower House, Kandy Korn x Glass Gem F1 are the tallest in the front-right quadrant of the bed. Here, I'm collecting pollen from any tassles I can reach and pollinating any silks I fancy, though I mostly concentrate on silks on the outmost stalks as well as secondary silks low down on the stalks and blocked by overlapping leaves.

Image __first Mirai 350BC cobs are almost ready

__the Mirai 350BC which were the first to start silking are completely "contaminated" in the secondary silks. Haha. I'll probably randomly save a couple of these to mature and see what kind of seed kernels I get.
Attachments
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Image Image

applestar
Mod

Stinkbugs are HERE En Parade -- Harlequin on broccoli, Green on corn silk, Leaffoot or Squashbug on cucumber, Brown Marmorated on blackberry ...

applestar
Mod

Rice paddy is doing well -- good tillers forming. I need to hoe between the rice clumps again to keep the weed pressure down.

This year, there are only a few of these imposters -- Japanese millet that look exactly like the rice except for the tell-tale red stem base (I pulled those out right after taking the photos :twisted: )

applestar
Mod

Harvest updates :wink:

(Duplicate vegs, one photo with cucumbers, etc. one with fig and onion)

...yeah 3 Butta zucchini plants pumping them out now... :roll:

applestar
Mod

...tried a different kind of collage today...

applestar
Mod

Someone said their “okra is taking off”
Well, I found out what that meant :shock:

I noticed they were growing more – Yesterday? The day before? – and some flower buds were starting to form… Today, the okra leaves are HUGE! The blue 2.5 qt pail is 7-½ in. diameter.

The fact that the Roselle and Okra are related is evident when you see them side to side, especially since my Okra are red stemmed Burgundy or Jing Orange (or both). Roselle are not as big as okra, but are obviously on same timeline and getting ready to bloom. Too bad I didn't get to grow Cotton this year as well – they also have similar appearance and would have been lovely as well as fun to see all three in full bloom with their hibiscus-like flowers.

---

Two Kamo eggplant fruits -- I recently found out the purple color is response to sunlight just like antho tomatoes, so I removed some of the leaves shading the bigger fruit.

applestar
Mod

One of the two Butta zucchini plants that have been struggling for about a week now had collapsed overnight. SVB has struck as expected:

The other three plants are looking huge and lush, and one of them had another big squash for me today, but as you can see, they are already on borrowed time:

This mystery squash had a good run with third fruit forming, but it's already affected as well.

And the Kakai bed is also doomed

applestar
Mod

...on a lighter note -- This morning, I put some No.3 Kyoto barrel Chinese cabbage seeds in a paper coin envelope, folded it over several times and then put it in the coin pocket of my gardening jeans. But when I went to sow them under the insect screen protected nursery bed, I realized It had fallen out somewhere. Image It was already 11AM and getting hot, and I still had to wash the harvest, so I gave up on trying to find the envelope -- luckily I only brought out as much as I wanted to sow, not the entire packet. Well, now, it's been drizzling for about 1/2 hour and it occurred to me that I'm going to get to soak and pre-germinate those seeds after all :> (I hope I find it tomorrow :roll: )

I sprayed the battered tomato seedlings and some of the VIP maters and eggplants, peppers, etc. fungal susceptible plants with my standard mix of willow branch steeped tea and milk/yogurt/kefir this morning while the dew was heavy on them. The good bugs that survived the day had all this time to stick on, so this little bit of rain shouldn't faze them at all. I love spraying with milk. I was thinking that when I was taking some pictures and smelled the fresh milky smell as I crouched down next to the raspberries behind the '16 Cherry Lane tomatoes that I had sprayed. Image

applestar
Mod

This morning, one of the three Butta zucchini plant is doing this: BER on the medium sized fruit and female blossoms not developing and browning
image.jpeg
This is the 2nd plant of the three to be doing this and the first one has dramatically stopped growing and is failing to develop fruits even though it was loaded with female flower buds just a little while ago. I think these are likely to be more signs of the SVB induced decline. The other two that I took out were doing this a week ago.

I might just harvest the femal flower buds as baby zukes tomorrow and take out all three lush green-looking living dead plants. At least I could then use majority of the plant matter as compost ingredients -- I just have to inspect, extract the SVB's, bag and discard damaged parts just in case I missed any.

applestar
Mod

Today's harvest

Stevia and Applemint on the bottom left

applestar
Mod

Today's harvest :-()

Random photos from today ...

applestar
Mod

Well, Butta zucchini plants are still trying to produce --

But the volunteer squash outside the garden fence wilted overnight, so I decided to pull it. It didn't get a chance to grow a female blossom -- not even a bud, so I never found out what it was. Oh well.

I hunkered down in the hot sun and dissected the basal stems so I could take pictures and post.

After finding 5, I began to wonder what the heck I was doing -- it was nearly noon and miserably hot, :roll: ...so I called it quits, fed those to the goldfish :twisted: , and bagged all the suspect parts and composted the upper good portions -- not even one diseased leaf. What a waste. :evil:

-- you can see near center of the bottom photo where I cut the vine and found evidence of burrowing further up the vine (to the right) so I cut a little further up to where the cut was clean. There were TWO SVB's in that little segment. Also notice in the left middle photo there is a leaf with brown evidence of burrowing in the leaf stem. You need to watch out for those, too.

applestar
Mod

Today's cucurbit gallery:

- There was an open female blossom on the Thai Kang Kob cross, but when I went to get a male blossom, it was occupied by 2+ bees and they wouldn't leave even though I clipped it off and carried it to the female blossom... and the female blossom was occupied, too, so I simply placed the male blossom over the female blossom. The bees can sort it out. :P

- There was a maxima buttercup type fruit clinging to the VGE fence. The blossom had already shriveled so hopefully it had been pollinated by the bees and is set to grow.

- When I noticed this female Orangeglo watermelon blossom, it was closed and so were the male blossoms, it seemed late - 11AM -- for them NOT to have opened yet, so I thought I might have missed them while they were open. In any case, I hand pollinated it -- with any luck, this will work

- Butta is still producing

- A proper harvest sized Shintokiwa cucumber
- completely overgrown and already starting to yellow Shintokiwa (see below)
- my Kikuza x Tromboncino F1 C.moschata cross fruit is starting to yellow. It needs to turn completely buff color to be completely ripe.

...HOW is it that cucumbers are so good at hiding? I noticed this cucumber TODAY for the first time. :roll: It had already started to yellow so I decided I might as well let it mature completely for harvesting seeds since I have multiple plants. I was pretty sure this is Shintokiwa, but it's actually shorter than it should be and it has set fruit WAY earlier than the other Shintokiwas.
_ center photo shows that it's larger than the Butta zucchini I harvested. right photo shows a Shintokiwa at correct harvesting size.

applestar
Mod

Oh! I forgot this -- first Apple Melon blossom! ( it's a male of course, but it's an auspicious START Image )
Attachments
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

applestar
Mod

This little Apple Melon plant is already promising two female blossoms -- one on each of the two side shoots that just started to elongate. 8)
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

L: Thai Kang Kob cross seems to have set fruit. (Note the long finger-like tips on each of the calyces -- I think they are cool.)
R: Orangeglo watermelon also seems to have set fruit. :D

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:-() get ready for runners!!! Those Apple melons are running everywhere!

applestar
Mod

Here's a fun new project :-()
I hand pollinated a Mirai350BC with pollen from this super dark, short runty corn which I'm reasonably certain is Double Red Sweet corn. Harvested this cob for seeds today and when I shucked it, it looked like this :()

applestar
Mod

Yeah the Apple Melon is making me very happy :D -- Hand pollinated a first female Apple melon blossom today :-()
Top Left is my Kikuza x Tromboncino F1, looking like its about ready to harvest

Bottom Left - Thai Kang Kob x -- although it doesn't say on the label, "#2 on bucket" means this should be the cross with Kikuza as the pollen donor.

Bottom Right - This is Thai Kang Kob (possibly crossed with Seminole) (possibly crossed with Tromboncino). Right away, it's showing the spots characteristic of TKK.

applestar
Mod

I was curious about the significantly purple color of the corn above vs. the nomally burgundy red color of Double Red Sweet. I think this color demonstration might explain it when you remember that Mirai350BC is a yellow-white bi-color.

Complementary colours - yellow and purple acrylic paint - YouTube

[youtuDOTbe]https://youtu.be/x38ZrGTK58k[/youtuDOTbe]

applestar
Mod

Harvest collages --

- The NOT Kakai. Has anyone ever grown a yellow summer squash to full maturity? Do they turn out looking like this?
- long red pepper is Gochugaru yong Gochu -- Korean pepper for making red pepper powder -- supposed to be sweet with a mild building heat. Not tasted yet.
- Bottom Right: Harvested for seeds Ashworth corn x hand pollinated with self as well mixed pollen including Mirai350BC.

With C.pepo squash, you also have to watch out that the SVB's don't try to get into the almost mature fruit via the stem. I decided to harvest it when I saw this :x :
When I cut off another half of this stem, there were TWO SVB's inside. But they had not bored all the way into the fruit.... Yet.

THIS one had Squash Bug eggs on the stem as well as wet sawdust clinging to the side. But closer inspection revealed that there were no SVB bore-holes on the fruit. Looking at the photo, I think the wet sawdust dripped from somewhere above. They try get into leaf stems, too -- usually, they make their way through the hollow stem to to where the leaf attaches to the vine or to the leaf.
- Bottom: Harvested for seeds Mirai350BC x Double Red Sweet Corn, and some yellowed mature pods of adzuki beans

...in case I didn't mention, adzuki as green snap beans didn't work out -- stringy and hard pod and interior shell unless harvested as something like fillet beans and then they are too small.

applestar
Mod

My little rice paddy :()

applestar
Mod

More fun with corn :-()

...and what's with these Ashworth kernels that have started to sprout on the cob? last one I harvested half them too. :?:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's all so beautiful! My garden is pretty much toast except for the peppers. We are getting some really subpar tomatoes, riddled with feed holes from various insects.

My turn to be jealous! My season is over, yours is beginning!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Love how you do all those experiments ! Great photos of the SVB's and the damage they do . Know the enemy !

applestar
Mod

Thank you @lindsay and @rainbowgardener Image

applestar
Mod

Kakai went down today - the fruits didn't make it to fully mature stage, so I will be cooking them immature. Good thing with them is that, no matter what stage, the seeds are edible whole. The flesh is somewhat spongy and not much flavor, but works well in sauce like pasta sauce or curry. The smallest one had a SVB hole in the side, nit to mention being a bit soft, so I fully expected it to be rotting inside, but when I extracted the two tiny borers and cut it open, the rest was unharmed -- immature and looking like a round zucchini.

- I removed two of the Butta zucchini a few days ago, but the last one is still producing. Squash bug eggs are daily find and some newly hatched juvies have been dispatched. But I'm sure I've missed some.
- Blackberries are finishing up. Maybe another handful left to harvest. DD has "discovered" Blackberry sauce/jam. She's putting it on everything and starting to make small batches every few days to keep in the fridge on her own.

- More elderberries -- we have enough to make syrup or jelly. :D

- more cucumbers! (I pickled these with the butta zucchini - and peppers, carrots, okra, onions, garlic - today... Just 3 waterbath canned pint dill pickle jars and one refrigerator bread and butter jar with cauliflower added to the mix) :()

- more adzuki beans are stating to mature. I have to be vigilant because these pods shatter when dried out.

- Cherry tomatoes -- mostly my crosses. I love the tear-drop shaped one but haven't had one to taste yet. All of them are bigger without the TRM.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

What a variety of items you have. Beautiful picture. I really like the color of produce this time of the year. Down our way it is beautiful okra blooms, late tomatoes, purple egg plant and peppers of all colors.

applestar
Mod

Yes, I love it when the garden starts producing -- and the varieties of plant forms and flowers as well as fruits make everything look beautiful and interesting 8) I really like the edible landscaping concept.

Here are my okra :D
8B4134F7-FA33-4C37-8BFE-D17B6BCB3F49.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”