applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar's 2016 Garden

Subject: what are you eating from your garden today 2017
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm
applestar wrote:This is the last of the 2016 squashes. ...that’s funny Applestar made a typo and wrote 2016... Nope. This was harvested Oct 21 2016. One of Thai Kang Kob crosses.

I lost another one that was fully ripe and completely buff colored last week. It had turned to mush INSIDE the rind, which was intact and let me pick up the squash-turned-water balloon without mishap, and put it in the compost. That one was over one year old from harvest.

...just tacking this on here for future reference :wink:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Subject: what are you eating from your garden today 2017
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm
applestar wrote:This is the last of the 2016 squashes. ...that’s funny Applestar made a typo and wrote 2016... Nope. This was harvested Oct 21 2016. One of Thai Kang Kob crosses.

I lost another one that was fully ripe and completely buff colored last week. It had turned to mush INSIDE the rind, which was intact and let me pick up the squash-turned-water balloon without mishap, and put it in the compost. That one was over one year old from harvest.

...just tacking this on here for future reference :wink:
I never ate a squash like that how is it cooked?

applestar
Mod

I cook it the same way as others — half or quarter, remove seeds or not depending on whether I want to eat them or save them for seeds or for wildlife, salt and put in shallow casserole flesh side down with 1/4” - 1/2” or water and pats of butter, and bake 375-400 (depends on how big.thick) for 1 - 1-1/2 hours.

This one was savory (watery, pumpkin fragrance and flavor, spicy end note — not sweet), so I added some of the cooked flesh to curry sauce — blended right in and thickened the sauce ...good way to get my DH to eat squash — and some to soup. Savory squash could also be filled with meat filling and twice baked, added to not sweet bread dough or pasta dough, mashed with turnips and potatoes, etc.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”