McKinney88

McKinney's 2016 Garden

I think I am going to be starting some seedlings this weekend. I live in Memphis and traveled well over into Arkansas yesterday and noticed most of the farmers have began to start working their fields, of course this gave me spring fever! I will be sharing my garden spot at the local community this year with a co-worker, I am gonna take it easy this year. I think first I'm gonna put some beans out then do some corn after I harvest beans. I'm gonna do a few tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets this year on my porch. Also have a vertical herb planter box thingy that my wife wants to use so I'm gonna give that a try too.

webmaster
Site Admin

I have a lot of garlic in a raised bed. This is our first year in our new home so will have to think about what we're going to grow. No doubt tomatoes will be in our yard this year!

McKinney88

I started some tomatoes and peppers and herbs Monday night. We will see by this weekend if anything has sprouted.

applestar
Mod

I keep *thinking* "I'm going to take it easy this year" :lol:

Good luck with your garden @McKinny88. I think I'm going to start some peppers today, too. 8)

McKinney88

And we have liftoff!

These pictures are a few days old, a few of the other peppers have started coming up too.

applestar
Mod

:clap: Looking good! :clap:

McKinney88

Seeds for a Virginian Sweet tomato are hard to find now. They are favorite big tomato by far. Random people on eBay and Amazon sell seeds but I don't trust those places for randomly packaged seeds. Luckily my dad has 10 older seeds, some of which we grew last year with good success so I'm going to start all of them and we will divide the plants out between us and grow to save the seeds for a new stock.

Anyone else have trouble finding certain seeds now?

imafan26
Mod

Local or regional varieties can be hard to get. For a while, there were no Hawaiian chili seeds locally and they are not sold on the mainland. I can get creole tomato now, but a few years ago there weren't any available. For part of last year and this year some nurseries are already back ordered or don't have kale seeds due to crop failures. It is good to save seeds. Just remember if you are going to do that on an op plant, you have to make sure no other varieties are around that might pollinate them instead.

McKinney88

Little update. Tomatoes are doing pretty good since I up potted them. Just did the peppers tonight too.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”