PepperLover69
Newly Registered

Indoor Garden, Updated Weekly

Hi everyone. Here are the details of my indoor garden. If anyone has any tips or suggestions: please let me know! I have also monitored temps/humidity if more specifics are ever desired.

The problem:
Desire to grow an abundance of tasty vegetables in the harsh Northern-Canadian winter, as a hobby but also hopefully be successful enough for some tasty rewards.

The secondary problem:
I don't like many vegetables.

The Solution:
Grow peppers, both sweet and hot. I love peppers. You can make many delicious things with peppers.
Grow tomatoes, because you can't make salsa or chili without tomatoes.
Grow cilantro, for now obvious reasons and it doesn't take up much space.

Specificially I am growing these peppers from Baker Street (sweet peppers) and many types of tomatoes.
Pepper 1: https://www.rareseeds.com/lipstick/
Pepper 2: https://www.rareseeds.com/white-lakes/

Hot pepper recommendations accepted.

Week 1:
First peppers sprouted exactly 1 week after placing the seeds into starting pellets.
0117161624.jpg
Week 2:
Tomatoes and cilantro have been planted, expecting germination in about a week.
The other kind of peppers have started to germinate.
0120161528a_HDR.jpg
I moved some of the first to sprout into solo cups for better root development before final transplant. I probably only plan on keeping 1-3 of each type of plant grown in here as I simply do not have much space. Just letting as many as I can grow for now, keep my favorites and give away the rest.
0120161528_HDR.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It is commendable that you want to garden indoors. What shade tolerant vegetables and herbs do you like. Cilantro, parsley, kale , spinach, carrots, beets, Asian greens, some lettuce, mints, ginger and oregano will grow with the least amount of sun. Peppers and tomatoes require high light. Does your indoor set up include a large south or east facing window and are what are you using for lighting? You can get more reflected light if you cover the walls with a reflective foil and use additional lighting as close to the plants as possible. Tomatoes are large plants so they will need a lot of room. Peppers are easier to do in smaller containers but they still like a bit of light.

PepperLover69
Newly Registered

thanks! have the lighting/environment covered
what size planter would you recommend for the tomatoes?

imafan26
Mod

If you have an indeterminate tomato, a twenty inch pot with a cage or tall stake. to tie the vines up for each tomato.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”