Farseeker

Farseeker's First Garden (2015)

Well, I haven't really started planting yet. :oops: It's still a little too cold here for a lot of what I'm putting out, but seeds are officially going into starter pots as of this week. I thought I'd post my plans first and get some opinions on them before I actually start putting major stuff into place in a couple of weeks.

They are (roughly) to scale - two squares is equal to a metre.

This is plot number one. Pumpkins, zucchini and watermelon will be trellised up and over garden arches - types are noted on the side. There's a bit of shade provided on the north side by some somewhat established lillipillies, which is where the rhubarb will go in the hopes it doesn't get burnt in summer.

This is plot number two. It pretty much has full sun, although I will be making use of all the fencing to grow things on, and hopefully provide a little shade. Where I am in summer even plants that are listed as 'full sun' tend not to like full sun haha, so I'm hoping to help mitigate that somewhat.

I will be putting in a clay pot system to help maintain what I'm planting when I can't get there to water regularly as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Looks nice. I wonder if you could add your zone to your profile.

Farseeker

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with zones? Where I am in QLD would be classed as sub-tropical by most people, warm temperate by others because we do occasionally get frosts. I've tried to add that to my profile if it helps?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

The USDA divided North America into plant hardiness zones known as clinate zones or growing zones. I found the zone equivalents for Queensland as follows:

Zone 8: tablelands of SE Queensland
Zone 10: coastal Queensland
Zone 11: some of the Queensland coast
Zone 12: Queensland coast north of Cairns

Zones are important for shsring plant data.

applestar
Mod

Looks good! I need to study them a bit more carefully to give you a full commentary.

To start with though, will you be using something like these arch trellises?
Subject: This year's Birdhouse Gourd so far
applestar wrote:Birdhouse Gourds are doing really well so far:

They are growing in the Kids' Garden:
I think for heavier, larger melons, you would be better off with sturdier "cattle panel" arch trellises. Do you have something like that there? I really really want to make some and replace my cheap arch trellises, but I can't get the full size ones which are too big. But I recently learned they do sell 1/2 length ones so I'm going to see if I can get some next year.

In the 2nd plan, I think you need to allocate more space (4 squares each) for the eggplants and Indeterminate tomatoes. I am AAMAZED by the size of my eggplants growing in the SIP (sub-irrigated planter) this year, but from what other members have said, this is their NORMAL growing size in the hotter summer areas.

...I think you can get away with the current smaller spacing for cherry tomatoes if you grow them as cordons and prune/train into columnar style. (Oops I was going to copy my post of before and after Apple Guild Sentinels, but it looks as though I hadn't posted that yet. Ha! Will get that done ASAP -- thx I don't think I would have noticed if I wasn't trying to comment in your thread :> )

Farseeker

Thanks for explaining the zone system, BirdLover. From what I can see I would be in zone 10.

Applestar, yes they will be arch trellises. I'm planning on putting two side by side, zip-tying them together and adding trellis wire along the top and sides of the arch to give more support. I looked into cattle panels, but if it is the same thing here they are about $100 each. :shock: I also doubt I could move them enough to assemble them into something approaching a trellis haha!

Looking at the plan for the second plot, you are right - I haven't given enough space for the indeterminates and eggplants. That's what happens when I decide to do it when I should be sleeping I guess! :oops: I've also given too much of a walkspace between the passionfruit and root vegetables. I'll move them up further, put the chillis between the cucumbers and eggplants and shuffle the beans and potatoes up too. That should free up enough space to allow them more room.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”