douglasbeale

better late than never

The garden is all planted, better late than never. It took a lot longer than I thought it would. Six or seven varieties of tomatoes & peppers, cucumbers, squash, peas, bush beans, about a dozen different herbs, five or six types of lettuces, spinach, corn, a few flowers and some lemon grass for tea.

I couldn't post an image. You can see it here:

https://gardendata.org/sites/default/fil ... lanted.jpg

NewCanuckGardener

Wow! That is a gorgeous garden!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your garden area is beautiful. But I'm afraid it is either too late or too early for peas, spinach, lettuce. They are cool weather crops. In hot weather, they will either do nothing at all, or they will grow and develop and then within a very few weeks, bolt and go to seed. You can plant them later in the summer, like August for a fall crop. And especially the spinach, you can plant in October to overwinter. The seeds will sprout and just get started and then they will go dormant for the winter. They are incredibly cold hardy and will sit there all winter covered in snow and ice and then as soon as it warms up at all, they will start growing. When I do that, I am harvesting over-wintered spinach before I even plant the spring stuff. And it grows like crazy and gets really big, bigger than the spring planted stuff ever gets. Then all of it, the spring planted and the winter planted, bolts at the same time, when it gets into the 80's. So obviously the winter planted has a much longer season.

First thing a new gardener needs to learn is about cold weather crops vs warm ones. Cold weather crops are cold hardy and frost tolerant, but don't do well once it gets hot. Cold weather crops include most green leafies, most root crops like carrots, the brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc), celery, onions, peas. Warm weather stuff hates cold, dies if frost hits it and thrives in warm to hot weather. Warm weather stuff is everything else, starting with corn (the most cold tolerant of warm weather crops), then tomatoes, peppers, squashes and melons (cucurbits), okra.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Very nicely designed space! :) Good luck with it.

imafan26
Mod

Now, that you've finished yours you can come over and rescue mine.

mkat

Amazing garden! :D

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”