freedhardwoods

Lots Of Potatoes

I decided to go with a big crop of potatoes this year. I planted these in 3 plantings a week apart. In the last pic I used my "crust buster" to help them poke through. I planted about 1300' of them.

I have about 400' of sweet corn in 4 plantings, 250' of Indian corn, 120' of wide row green beans in 2 plantings with room for another 80' later. I have a few tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, pumpkins, cucumbers and zucchini.

imafan26
Mod

Good for you. I don't have that kind of space. I have to plant fewer and more variety, but no potatoes, rice is the staple here not potatoes. Sweet potatoes are more popular and the leaves can be eaten too.

freedhardwoods

C.jpg
D.jpg
A.jpg
A.jpg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 942 times
B.jpg
B.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 942 times

applestar
Mod

Looking good! I only plant in little patches, too -- about 1-2 lb seed potatoes at a time,miso a big fields like this is an eye opener, :D

That last tool is interesting! Those prongs look like the single prong, short handled cobra head weeder. Is this a long handled tool? Do you also use it for weeding close to plants?

freedhardwoods

applestar wrote:Looking good! I only plant in little patches, too -- about 1-2 lb seed potatoes at a time,miso a big fields like this is an eye opener, :D

That last tool is interesting! Those prongs look like the single prong, short handled cobra head weeder. Is this a long handled tool? Do you also use it for weeding close to plants?
That tool originally had 5 prongs. I took the middle 3 out. For short plants, I just pull it right over the top and it weeds/breaks crust on both sides. It has a long handle. I just put it in the ground over the potato shoots and dragged it (with down pressure) while I walked.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”