Breanna.link

Re: Not Current but photos of my first garden, got to weed f

Just finished digging/sifting the soil one cubit foot for my carrot bed whew that took an hour just to sift a bucket/ save the worms throw them back, got the DIY paper towel with germinated seeds of the spinach, bulls blood beets, and radish, and carrots planted. Tomorrow looks like weeding, machete and planting the onions that I sprouted from seeds. Tonight is starting some more early jalapeños.

Breanna.link

Some things I have learned from my first time gardening:

Have the right tools for the job.
I like making seed tapes to germinate small seeds so they don't get washed away, and I have more time to work the soil without feeling rushed and really putting effort into planning locations and make the best use of space. I feel that I have a ton of areas I could have planted more, and did a better job like the lettuce and peas, the packet of the peas said they didn't need support, well to me a they appear they do need some sort of support.

Breanna.link

Today's agenda:
Plant onion seedlings 1x1 area, replant 4 watermelon mounds, start preparing area for tomatoes and peppers double digging a narrow 2x6 foot area

Breanna.link

everyday is a fight to keep the weeds at bay started sheet mulching, got twelve tomatoes in, and nine pepper plants.

cucumbers and beans outta the ears! todays bounty
Attachments
IMG_20150625_130531.jpg

kayjay
Green Thumb

Wow, amazing! Do you like to pickle/can/freeze/etc, or do you end up giving a lot away?
KayJay
Toronto 'burbs, zone 5b

My Garden, 2020

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like you are quickening. I guess it may not be such a bad idea to have winter for a few months of the year. It is going to be hard to garden once the baby is born and you have even less time to garden. Too bad you don't have a garden partner to share the work. I am amazed with what you have accomplished in such a short time. There is a lot of work that needs to get done in when first starting a garden. It is good that you started small.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Breanna.link

right now we are eating about five cucumbers a day, I am just freezing the beans after I hull them. Root crops refuse to grow, cucumbers, melons, and larger seeds seem to be doing well, I decided that I can get caught up on the weeding for once after seven days of weeding an area the size I did today, last of the tomatoes, and peppers go in Monday, then I can really focus on harvesting/keeping control of the weeds, and taking back areas kudzu/ rocks/bricks have dominion over.

Breanna.link

More cucumbers today, tomorrow I am going to thoroughly pick the beans.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”