skiingjeff
Green Thumb

The Kohlrabi are in!

We've been growing our kohlrabi in earth boxes for the first time this year and WOW! Just picked these yesterday and ate some of them for dinner - YUM :mrgreen:
11266504_10200693161048127_8070505561007504246_n.jpg
11012036_10200693161168130_9126658936654533975_n.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those look great! When I first read the post I thought "in" meant they were planted, and I wondered who would plant kohlrabi at this time of year - maybe they have a heat resistant variety? Wishful thinking - kohlrabi is one of my favorite veggies.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Those look great; I'm jealous!! I did some last year, and could have sworn I had some seed left, and when I went to look for them, there weren't any. :(

I hope you enjoyed the greens, too. :) I do them up with a little bit of bacon, bacon grease and onion.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

They do look great!

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Thanks all! We're planning to eat the greens tonight. Sauted with some garlic. The onions sound like a great addition. No bacon even though that sounds great but we're trying to stay away from too many fats. :)

After we just steamed the bulbs last nig:)ht and put the leftover in the fridge, I was a little hungry so I picked on the leftovers in the fridge - YUM!! I'll eat them any way we can get them.

applestar
Mod

Last year, every time my kohlrabi got growing, rabbits and groundHOGs chomped them to the ground. :evil: Sometimes, I ddidn't see anything wrong in the one garden bed, then it would slowly dawn on me that ONLY kohlrabi had been eaten -- peas, endive, escarole, even lettuce and broccoli were intact :roll: (you remember I tend to plant in a polyculture patch? :? )

THIS year, none of the seeds would sprout -- I have one LONE kohlrabi growing in a windowbox high up above the ground.... :bouncey:

...yours look delicious... :mrgreen:

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Applestar, Sorry you've been having problems with your kohlrabi :(

I wish we lived closer because I'd be more than happy to share :)

applestar
Mod

Aw thanks! :D

Well, next year is going to be great kohlrabi year, I just KNOW it! I will need to get new seeds -- what variety did you grow? Do you recommend it?

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

@Applestar - Express Forcer - White. They are very juicy and tender even when they get big. A lot of folks say to pick them smaller in order to not have them be tough but we just peel them like a carrot and they are great!

You can always try for a fall crop, we're planning to plant for the fall as well. :)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

skiingjeff wrote:@Applestar - Express Forcer - White. They are very juicy and tender even when they get big. A lot of folks say to pick them smaller in order to not have them be tough but we just peel them like a carrot and they are great!

You can always try for a fall crop, we're planning to plant for the fall as well. :)
Express Forcer is my favorite white kohlrabi, though it runs a little behind Kolibri - my favorite of all, which is a purple kohlrabi, and, as you said about the Forcer, you can let it get large, without getting tough and fibrous, which some OP varieties I have tried have done. I didn't grow EF this season, only because the places that supply the seeds I really didn't want to order anything else from, so I tried a new hybrid white - Winner. It looks good, though still a little smaller than the kolibri. I also tried some Azure Star and Ropinai Kopústai - two more purples. I always plant a spring and a fall crop; tried to grow them undercover one winter, but they just sat there, while the Asian greens flourished.

@applestar - have you tried covering your kohlrabi with agribon? I noticed the same thing you do before I started covering mine - many of the greens I grow would not be touched, but the kohlrabi would be chewed to the ground by the rabbits! Now, I plant the 30' long (at least!) double row of greens, and seal it off with the light agribon immediately, then don't remove it for around 3 weeks, when the larger plants (senposai and komatsuna) start pushing it up. I also sprinkle a bunch of sluggo before covering, as that would be a major problem under the cover. They are so large when uncovered that I wouldn't really notice a few bites, though I don't have groundhogs (KOW).

Here's a photo I took when I first uncovered the greens, on 5-5. The kohlrabi are the first ones, and hadn't started bulbing up yet, but you can see how large they got in just 3 weeks from transplant.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Nice looking plants Pepperhead :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Last year, every time my kohlrabi got growing, rabbits and groundHOGs chomped them to the ground. :evil: Sometimes, I ddidn't see anything wrong in the one garden bed, then it would slowly dawn on me that ONLY kohlrabi had been eaten -- peas, endive, escarole, even lettuce and broccoli were intact :roll: (you remember I tend to plant in a polyculture patch? :? ) Put a screen above then and you will have no problem.

THIS year, none of the seeds would sprout -- I have one LONE kohlrabi growing in a windowbox high up above the ground.... :bouncey:

...yours look delicious... :mrgreen:

applestar
Mod

Bobberman wrote:Put a screen above then and you will have no problem.
They WERE in a rabbit fenced garden bed, but they dug under or climbed over. :evil:

But I take the point you and pepperhead212 are making and will try the low tunnel cover for the fall and next spring. :bouncey:

@skiingjeff, when do you sow the seeds for the fall crop? Would about 8 weeks before first average frost work?

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:@skiingjeff, when do you sow the seeds for the fall crop? Would about 8 weeks before first average frost work?
We always start ours in pots and transplant into earth boxes which adds about 25 - 30 days to the maturity of the kohlrabi, including hardening. The ones we just picked took a total of 77 days to mature so taking away the 30 days for the seedling to transplant, it was about 45-47 days to maturity even though the package stated 65 days for my spring crop. They also germinated in only 4 days. So the "normal" adding of 30 days didn't seem to be fully needed for these :? Maybe because they were in earth boxes?

Our first average frost date is around October 9th. So based on my spring timing, my 1st fall crop would be planted on July 14th to be ready for Oct 2nd. Then I space plantings by 2 to 3 weeks hoping we won't be inundated with kohlrabi and not able to eat it and the rest of the garden produce. Although every year we seem to have to give away produce to family, friends, and neighbors....lol :)

So I guess I'm planning 10 weeks before our Average last frost date rather than 8 weeks. So if your planting directly into the ground, 8 weeks should be good. Of course, as you know, this would have to be adjusted depending on the type of kohlrabi your planting since some take more or less time to mature.

Then, of course, because we are greedy, we push the line by planting 2-3 more starts pushing our harvesting into early November. :mrgreen:

Sorry for the long answer but I wanted to provide as much information to you so you can make the best determination based on your own experience in your area and microclimate.

Hope this helps! :)

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”