Mauldintiger
Newly Registered

New guy's 2015 garden

I'm trying to grow as naturally as possible, so I'm mostly organic. The biggest source of my mulch is wheat straw from the big boxes. I can't seem to find a local organic source for it, but it has not caused any problems over the last two years and some of my seeds and plants were not organic I have growing:
Brussel sprouts, kale, Swiss chard, bunching onions, candy and red candy onions, cabbage, broccoli, lettuce and arugula and asparagus. Got some spinach, but most of it was flooded out. Planted most of this before March 15 and just harvested the main broccoli heads last Saturday. I treated the cole crops with neem oil and not much bug signs. Last year the bugs got more than I did! This all planted in an area that gets afternoon shade.
The other 2/3rds of the garden has full sun:
bush beans, 32 mostly heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and winter squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes and okra. I love moschata's and squash in general, so I searched many sites for unusual varieties that do well in the heat and humidity. I have butternut, a butternut/Seminole cross, Geramon Martinique, Papaya and Paluv Kadu, and a few Choctaw rounds that are used a summer squash. I took a chance and direct sowed a week before my last frost. No frost, but cold and wet, so only a few germinated. Waited til May and replanted with very good germination.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

brooksms

Looks great!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”