vaporizer

Vaporizer first timer Las Vegas garden

hello,

I thought I would share my garden here. I made elevated beds because I'm in a rental and didn't want to remove the 6-8 inches of rock that is there. there also is a bad infestation of crab grass that I can keep down, but always has come back full force each time after I weed it.
this is my first garden. I am growing tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, squash, and a melon. there are some herbs around as well. please feel free to make comments and/or helpful tips as this is my first year.
Attachments
006.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hello from Canada. That looks like an excellent use of a small space. I'm a beginner, too. Best of luck. :cool:

vaporizer

Thanks Kayjay. good luck to you as well.

it rained pretty well on saturday and soaked my garden good. I installed cages for the tomatoes on sunday and fixed the soil because some of the run-off from the roof made a canyon in my bed. I guess living in the desert, I forget to think about it when placing things. looks like I get to install some gutters before the next rain. Monsoon season would wash away plants if I leave it be.
Attachments
001.JPG

imafan26
Mod

What kind of tomatoes are you growing? If you are growing an indeterminate, the tomato cage may be too short and you will need to extend it or add a few long stakes to support it from falling over.

vaporizer

hello imafan26. :)

tomato plants:

Hawaiian Tropic
Roma
Cherry tomato
Cupids
yellow pear
one plant I don't know but it is a grape like shape/size
sweet 100's

I don't know where some of them are planted. I started to replace dead plants and didn't mark them.

I had to google "indeterminate". I'm not sure if they are. I was hoping they don't grow too tall. I was thinking I could clip the tops if they start to get out of hand. can I do that? I really didn't think that far in advanced. I didn't think they would even grow, but am happy they are doing something. I would love some advise on this. thanks.

brooksms

Those raised beds look awesome!

vaporizer

thank you so much. I just threw them together from doug fir. I never expected people to like them, but I have been getting good comments on them. Thanks again.

vaporizer

thought I would post some more pics. I planted some watermelon, cucumbers, and two strawberry plants in the front yard. the strawberries are just to see what happens under the tree with only morning sun.
007.JPG
008.JPG
001.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

vaporizer

my first squash blossom
squash blossom 001.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Looks great. The tomatoes you mentioned are probably all indeterminate which means they get to be about 7 or 8 ft tall. I use square folding tomato cages instead of the cone ones. The cone ones are o.k. as bell pepper supports.

Usually the only time you cut the terminal bud of an indeterminate to is ripen the fruit when the weather is starting to get colder. When they get to the top of the cage, they will start to trail down and curve up again, that is why I use CRW cages, they are bigger and stronger, but stacking cages will work too, but they need to be staked with a couple of strong long poles too.

Square folding tomato cages can be stacked tied together and staked. They can be opened up to make a fence. I use them for beans and cucumbers too.

vaporizer

thanks for the tips. I think I will trellis the middle next season as cages get expensive. I was under prepared for them to actually grow for me.

vaporizer

mid may update 001.JPG
mid may update 003.JPG
mid may update 004.JPG
mid may update 006.JPG

kayjay
Green Thumb

You beds do look fantastic! I can't believe you just "threw them together." Heh. You could have a new side business there, I think. ;)

vaporizer

kayjay wrote:You beds do look fantastic! I can't believe you just "threw them together." Heh. You could have a new side business there, I think. ;)
haha. funny you say that. I have already build one for a friend. not for money though, so no "business" really.

I thought I would post a little update. my melons in the front yard are starting to run all over the place. I have had to train them so they don't go over the sidewalk or pathway to the house. I am very excited for some melons. the vegi garden is doing well too. we have had some rain here and some of the plants didn't like that much water. one of my boxes doesn't drain well. I added a compost tea to the plants. I read good things about the compost tea. I saw my first female squash blossom, but it doesn't look like it is going to bloom. I have been trying to watch it every morning to see if it would open. I have male plants open all the time. oh well, maybe the next one. I might have to pull the lettuce since it is going to get into the 100's this weekend. at least I got them to sow and even something to eat too.
first boogie brew 001.JPG
first boogie brew 004.JPG
first boogie brew 005.JPG
first boogie brew 006.JPG
first boogie brew 007.JPG
first boogie brew 010.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”