UrbanFarmerJon

Re: My Garden for 2015.

Haven't given an update in a while. Starting to slow down for the year finally. Still have a round of carrots in the ground and some onions and a few green peppers too. Already planning next year's layout. So far over 83lbs of produce harvested from 40 sqf boxes, just shy of my 100lb goal, but it will be close once the carrots and onions are picked in a week or two. Heres a pic of today's pickins!
October and still picking!
October and still picking!
My oldest showing off for the camera.
20151011_113111.jpg

UrbanFarmerJon

This was by far my most successful year of vegetable gardening ever. I had 153 growing days this year. I have never had a harvest go past the middle of September and this year I pulled my last set of carrots on October 25th 2015. The new layout worked wonders this year and I am already tweaking it next year (going to gain about 15 more sq foot boxes to grow in . Wasn't my best year for Lettuce, Spinach or Bush Beans...more than likely due to the wet spring we had and the early hot weather shortly after it too. Total pounds of Produce this year was 86 lbs 7.41 ounces, just shy of my 100 lb goal. Here is a breakdown of what I harvested for the year:

Cherry Belle Radishes : 9.4oz
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce : 3.5oz (Heat killed this one)
Mesclun Mix : 2.4oz (Flooded during a hail storm...never recovered)
Salad Select Spinach : .91oz (First year planting and too late in season)
Simpson Elite Lettuce : 2.4oz (Heat killed this as well)
DiCiccio Broccoli : 2.5oz (2 plants)(First year growing, need to start earlier next year) Carnival Blend Sweet Pepper : 8lbs 9.6oz (3 plants)(first year growing)
Italian Pepperoncini : 9lbs 3.2 oz (3 plants) (first year growing)
Fordhook Zuchini : 3lbs 4.5oz (3 plants)(Hail Storm wiped these out early)(first year growing)
Early Pride Cucumber : 6lbs 11.2 oz (4 plants)
Pickle Barrel Hybrid Cucumber : 12lbs 7.5oz (3 plants)(kids ate them so fast=no pickles)
KY Wonder Pole Beans : 3lbs .3 oz (12 plants)(Japanese Beetles hit hard overnight)(first yr growing)
Danver 1/2 Long Carrots : 11lbs 2.5oz (first year growing)
Jupiter Beets : 14oz (first year growing)
Golden Grande Onions : 5.5oz (first year growing)(didnt plant till late July)
Walla Walla Onions : 7 oz (first year growing) (didnt plant till late July)
Iceburg A Head Lettuce : 0-bolted in early heat, 2nd plantings didnt take
Snack Attack Cherry Tomatoes : 20lbs 11.5 oz (2 plants)
Better Boy Hybrid Tomato : 10lbs 5.8oz (1 plant)
Goldrush Bush Bean : 1lb 2.1oz (12 plants)(Beetles got & hail storm)

The best part this year for me was watching my 5 year old explain to other people what we had planted. Watching him drag my parents out to the garden every time they came over was so much fun. He would walk right in and start describing each plant and when it was ready to be picked!

Already planning next years layouts and getting the beds ready before it snows, hoping to be out there early next year for an even better year!!

vicky464
Newly Registered

I like your fence. Is it doing a good job keeping the rabbit out? I had one living in my garden this year. Want to build a fence. Do you enter the garden by just stepping over the fence?

UrbanFarmerJon

I used a 3 foot deer fence, that I cut in half, then used a metal fence on the top part. I have a 3 foot section on the left side that I didn't put up the metal part. I took a left over piece of the deer fence and just hooked it between 2 posts. To enter I just remove it a step over the 1.5 deer fence. It kept out the rabbits this year. I had a bigger issue with some local stray cats tearing up my beds, which is why I put the metal fence up so high. Also had to put chicken wire on the fence so they wouldn't walk on the top and jump down into the garden. I will snap a picture of it tonight and post to give you a better idea of how it worked.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”