Jray8

My first raised veggie garden has plants.

Here it is! To keep it simple we bought our plants this year. 3 tomatoes, 2 peppers and 5 herbs. I have some onions started in a pot that I will add later along with some garlic. I know I'm not done but thanks to all the people that have shared their wisdom to get me this far.
Attachments
image.jpg

kayjay
Green Thumb

Are you in Australia? ;) (It's upside-down.)

Very nice bed. I've been putting off building a proper bed. No excuse, really, since the hardware store is a stone's throw away.

Jray8

I think I have an Austrailian Iphone because it always posts upside down. ;)
Anyway, thanks for the complement on my bed.

imafan26
Mod

When you click on the picture it comes right side up. This happens a lot. I don't know why.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

interesting.... maybe it's something about Hawaii :) When I click on the picture, it enlarges, but is still upside down!

But nice job! Garden is coming along nicely, jray. Just out of curiosity, why did you put the tomatoes (biggest) along the outside edge and all that space in the middle? I generally put the tomatoes down the middle and smaller stuff all around them.

applestar
Mod

What a great looking garden! I think you'll be pleased when they start producing.

BTW -- The picture turns right side up when clicked for me, too.
I know this has to do with the orientation of the camera/cell phone when you took the picture.
Some code must be embedded in the image file. Sometimes, it looks correct on my iPad but will display sideways or upside down when uploaded to the forum.

I found that if I rotate the problem image halfway with the camera app so it's upside down on the iPad, save, then rotate some more to right side up, then upload a second time, the new image will be right side up.

Jray8

I put the tomatoes in the back because I was afraid they would shade the smaller plants. I don't get a lot of direct sunlight and didn't want to block any of it.
rainbowgardener wrote:interesting.... maybe it's something about Hawaii :) When I click on the picture, it enlarges, but is still upside down!

But nice job! Garden is coming along nicely, jray. Just out of curiosity, why did you put the tomatoes (biggest) along the outside edge and all that space in the middle? I generally put the tomatoes down the middle and smaller stuff all around them.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

What I like about your bed, is that it is built into the hill, so lazy gardeners like me can sit or lay down next to it. I hate bending over. I see those little chairs for the garden and can't imagine bending over to weed. I would rather crawl along and weed. Just lazy I guess.

imafan26
Mod

I use a garden stool, even with that it is hard to get up.

I think your stakes may not be strong enough unless you are growing shorter tomatoes. I could not see the top of the stakes though, it just doesn't look like they are in firm enough to support the weight.

Jray8

those stakes were free but they seem strong. maybe even have steel rods in the center. I was more worried about them being too short as they are only 5 to 6 feet long. last time I did tomatoes the plants grew about 8 feet tall. I tied them to the deck. my tomatoes this year are better boy and beefsteak. any idea how tall they get?

imafan26 wrote:I use a garden stool, even with that it is hard to get up.

I think your stakes may not be strong enough unless you are growing shorter tomatoes. I could not see the top of the stakes though, it just doesn't look like they are in firm enough to support the weight.

applestar
Mod

They'll do for now but you'll need sturdier support.

There was a thread about a variety called "Beefsteak" being a short hybrid somewhere....

vaporizer

I love how your raised bed is built into the slope.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”