erins327

Artichokes!

How excited am I?? I seeded my own artichokes this last Fall, and found this little gem hiding in all my artichokes this morning!

I never thought Central Texas could grow artichokes, but since I planted mine in the Fall, I see them everywhere. They make a fantastic and gorgeous landscape plant, with added benefits of the artichokes in the Spring.
Attachments
Artichoke April 2015.jpg

applestar
Mod

Beauty! I'd like to try, too, and someone last year mentioned overwintering them in the garage or something. I'll have to go look that up.

...but I totally forgot and piled on with too many other projects, so I guess not this year.... But maybe I'll try to reserve some space for them in the garden for next year..... 8)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Artichokes are beautiful plants. My sister has planted them in her landscaped beds. Multiple attributes - a lovely, interesting plant, beautiful flowers and delicious fruit. I does not get much better than that. O:)

brooksms

Lucky you! I grew up eating steamed artichokes...so delicious!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I like them partially steamed then stuffed with a seafood mixture. Finished in the oven in a water bath. O:)

I love them steamed. The leaves dipped in basil mayonnaise and the fleshy part stripped off with my teeth.

The hidden heart is a treasure.

Now I am craving artichoke.

erins327

Steamed and stuffed with seafood mixture?? Please go on.....

They are quite lovely plants. My spouse calls them the Little Shop of Horror plant, because it does look quite different and primitive in a beautiful way.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”