RedBeard1987

Re: New Home New garden! RedBeard Ranch 2015.

They made it! lol i figured they would. still was a little nervous. its supposed to rain tomorrow, not sure if i should leave them out or not.

Raspberries!! need to find a place for these real soon!

Not sure whats wrong with these marigolds. got them from the hardware store. all was well untill a couple days ago. have been potted for almost 2 weeks now.

applestar
Mod

The marigolds look too little to be blooming -- they might have done something to them to make them bloom early for good show. I would clip those flowers off and let them focus on growing a bit more.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

RedBeard1987

update for today. This morning i arose to the sound of the weather lady throwing my plans for the day in the trash. They called for frost tonight and today was the day i planned on putting all my tomatoes in the ground. :evil: but i said screw you weather lady! :twisted: and went out and planted 8 romas and 5 early harvest. also caught up on some much neglected yard work. Real work schedule and yard work schedule tend to conflict a lot.

I planted these on whats is probably the worst spot of my whole garden plot. for whatever reason the clay in this spot is just so much more.....well more. I can never seem to stop pulling up rocks even though i have ran the tiller over this spot at least a dozen times since the ground was workable. Till, rake out rocks, till rake out rocks repeat over and over. :roll: i also noticed im getting a one inch layer of super compacted sand. I never seen this before but I keep digging out chunks of it. Red sand thats hard but real brittle. i can crack it and break it up by hand fairly easily.

So what i did was go down about a foot with my pitchfork and broke up as much as i could. i then spread some peat moss, gypsum, bone meal, mushroom compost, and composted manure across the rows and tilled that in with the pitchfork. dug my holes for the plants, threw in a handfull of gypsum and a little potash and bonemeal into each hole. fingers crossed they do well. :cool:

Im beginning to get nervous about this whole deal! :lol: I have always grown in raised beds where i have complete control over the soil because i put it there! Growing in this clay is new to me. i think i did a pretty good job amending it so far. the top layer stopped cracking and developing a crust after drying. but 8 inches to a foot in its just clay. hope those tomatoes have some strong roots!

pics to follow a little later.

RedBeard1987

sorry about the lack of pictures here. Having trouble uploading to photo bucket right now for some reason. will try again later. anyways the maters in the ground are doing great so far. no signs of stress yet. leaves look perky and green. no drooping or bad signs 24 hours after transplanting out in the garden. Looking good so far!!! :-()

RedBeard1987

Life gets busy sometimes, but im back!

like i said life gets busy and my garden has suffered for it a little. the weeds! sooo many weeds! I just have not had the time to get much done. my corn has been completely taken over by grass, but the corn is about knee high or taller. all of my tomatoes are doing well. spent about 8 hours weeding my tomatoes last week. time for the other side of the garden this week. its been raining here a lot lately. everything is planted and doing pretty well.

I ate a couple heads of cabbage and finished off all the broccoli and cauliflower. im really excited for some homegrown carrots. never had a fresh carrot before! my pepper plants are small, still need to thin them out a little. cucumbers are starting to climb. every last tomato plant has some maters growing! i cant wait for that first fresh mater sammich! and all the fresh made sauce! oooo and pickles! all the pickles! spicey garlic, sour dill, mmmmmm.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Weed life?

You can think of weeds as a "compost crop."

If, they have not begun to go to seed and perennial roots are dead.

Enjoy those veggies!

Steve :)
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”