btrowe1

Mid winter carrot picking..

Ran out of carrots in my crisper so I went outside to the outdoor storage and picked these beauties.
Carrot picture
Carrot picture
That's a full size soup spoon, these things are still growing, My outdoor storage is the carrots are in the ground buried under mulch and a piece of roof rubber.

Never would have imagined something coming out like this.They're tasty also,very sweet.

Thought I would share. Happy new year everyone.

applestar
Mod

Very nice! They look so yummy :D
What a great way to start off your 2015 harvest! Happy new year :-()

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Yum! They look great! :) :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I think I've got the same storage system, btrowe1!

The carrots were in the open garden until fall. They were then pulled and moved to a "pit" I dug in a bed not far from the backdoor. They have at least 8" of soil on them and that many inches of pine needles.

The ground around the storage area is frozen and snow covered. The carrots are easily accessible. They share the pit with parsnips and celery root. Everything is nice and sweet at this time of year :)!

I could have provided the same protection where they grew in the garden but it wouldn't have been convenient and would have required moving more soil and pine needles.

Steve

btrowe1

Your close DigitS, I left mine growing in place in the ground never pulled or moved just covered them all over with a whole bunch of mulch.

I google searched storing carrots and saw that way on one of the post and decided to try it,Seems to be working great nothing frozen and they still seem to be growing, a wee little bit.

It"s nice to have fresh carrots in the deep of winter, YES??

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh, yeah!

digitS'

btrowe1

Hello, Do the carrots in the picture look like danvers carrots??

I've had such bad luck planting carrots over the years that I just grabbed any old pack and look what happened..

I want to do them again, Fantastic over winter carrot...

Thanks, I think they're danvers..

shadylane
Green Thumb

They look like chantenay
I am going to try that overwinter storage this year, I had read that the very cold temps for carrots did make them sweeter, bringing the sugars up in taste. Patience is golden :) Thanks for the nudge in that direction.

applestar
Mod

Yes, my carrot growing techniques need more work since my results are a hit and a miss -- also, I have problems with wireworms or maybe carrot fly maggots? Getting into the roots that are left in the ground for too long. Also, after the summer drought, the fall rains seem to cause them to split/crack.

But if I ever figure all this out and get a reliably large harvest, I'm going to try a method I came across in a Cat Who... book. In the book the cache was being used by smugglers to hide their loot, but it is apparently an alternative to a root cellar -- bury a trash can almost to the top rim, layer the roots that will withstand this kind winter storage alternating with (? sand/leaves/pine needles/straw ?) Then make a leaf/straw pile on top of it to insulate and cover with tarp.

There are several variations to this :

-- Make drainage holes but be sure to bury on a hill/slope so there is no standing water that could come up into the can. Cover the drainage holes with insect barrier screens duct taped into place.
-- Don't make drainage holes but have adequate raised bottom (gravel/sand/bricks) so stored veg's won't be soaking in any condensation dripping down the sides and pools on the bottom.
-- Make a dry well around the can, fill with leaves or straw, put down plywood on top rim of the well then cover with straw and tarp.
-- cover with tarp, THEN make a leaf/mulch pile....

...etc.

imafan26
Mod

I accidentally pulled up a couple of nantes carrots weeding them. They are close to thumb size if you have a short thumb. I guess it will be a while yet.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:. . . But if I ever figure all this out and get a reliably large harvest, I'm going to try a method I came across in a Cat Who... book. . .
Wait a minute! That's a mystery not a gardening or food preservation book, AppleStar!

Sounds like it might work ...

You had to do some research to come up with some of those ideas, right? I mean: They didn't discuss those variations in the novel, did they?

Steve

applestar
Mod

LOL
In typical response to an inspiring idea, I did a three day intensive research.... :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had a brief warm up, which I took advantage of by actually working in the garden for the first time since November! YAY!! I was doing what should have been fall clean up if the cold hadn't slammed down so early, cutting down old tomato vines and pepper plants, etc. I found a few carrots that never got harvested and pulled them. These were not stored like you were talking about, the plant was just still sitting in the ground. The carrots are kind of bumpy and rooty, but not rotten or mushy or anything. Haven't eaten them yet, they may turn out too woody or bitter or something, but I will give it a try.

The ground was actually pretty workable, so I went ahead and spread some new carrot seed, just to see what would happen. It's a couple months earlier than I usually plant it!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Carrots are pretty tough!

If I leave them uncovered, freezing will burn off the top of them. They may not rot all the way down the root, however. They aren't living into the next year but some of the root will still be there. It probably wouldn't take too much snow cover to properly insulate carrots but it would probably have to come in October here, before severe frost.

I get quite a few beds dug out in the fall and toss winter-killed plants in before covering with soil. In July this year, July (!), I was digging in one of those beds. What do I turn up? A carrot. Most of the root was in real good shape ... buried under what was once, a big pile of rotting plant material and about 8" of soil! That carrot root tissue wasn't able to grow when spring arrived, survived several weeks of summer, too :roll: ! Probably should have cloned it ...

:) Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I realized as I was reading this explanation on the WA Post webpages this morning that I had said carrots are "tough".

Wait a minute! I didn't mean that they are now difficult to chew :? !

I meant that they survive cold temperatures well and, incidentally, become sweeter in cold weather. Here's WA Post and a biochemist to explain "Why carrots taste sweet ..."

:) Steve

btrowe1

Just pulled some more today, I will add some pics of what I did and how I covered them. Must have worked we did have that freeze that saw -30s up here this past winter so I will be doing this again...

It's really cool to be able to give away "fresh" carrots to friends and family all through the winter months..

People in the Northern Climates should try it..PUTS A :) ON YOUR FACE.

imafan26
Mod

I picked up most of my carrot today. Most are still very small fingerlings, but it is time to make room for corn.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”