nickolas

my wicking garden

This is my second year with my wicking garden. Right now I have 7 wicking beds, 24 wicking pots made from 200lt plastic blue drums cut in half. And 8 smaller wicking pots which are made of 20lt drums with the top cut off.
Last year my first trial with wicking gardening was these blue drums but that was a fail. I didn’t have enough organic matter in the soil mix I made, and I didn’t water from the top to help the plants get established. this year I'm covering the hole with my hand while I water until I see water at the top. I do this once every few weeks. it wastes water when you let the water flow out but it does a very good job and leaves no dry spots.

This year I'm using straw bales as the walls. I know they won’t last long. I just needed fast construction. I will phase out the bales after this season with more permanent wicking beds.
At the moment I have one sunflower bed, two corn beds, one potato bed, two tomato beds and an Allium bed. The drums are full with seedlings right now, such as pumpkins, cucumbers, watermelon, rockmelon, zucchini, okra, silver beet, spinach, tomato’s, aloe Vera and herbs.

That’s all for now. I will post more updates as the season goes
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=15 ... =2&theater

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not everybody does facebook or likes video. Why don't you post us a couple photos here so we can see? :) Sounds very interesting. I take it a "wicking garden" is self watering containers?

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”