Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Does a Brix Meter Really Measure Nutrient Density?

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/YO4L_jSxsAc[/youtudotbe]

One of the product claims of rock dust is that it increases the nutrient density of the food we harvest and eat. So how do you measure that?
I have found a number of videos and product claims talking about using a Brix tester or refractometer to measure the nutrient density of produce. So what is a Brix Tester? And does it really measure the nutrient density of your produce?

JosephsGarden
Cool Member

Brix is a measure of "Total Dissolved Solids". The solids dissolved in fruit juices mostly consist of sugars. There are much smaller amounts of organic acids, amino acids, phenols, flavors, and minerals.

The dissolved mineral content of fruit juices is typically less than 0.5%. The sugar content of fruits ranges from around 5% to 30%. So it seems to me that the mineral content of fruit cannot be reliably measured with a refractometer, because there is so much sugar that a little extra mineral here or there gets lost.

I used to use a refractometer to measure the brix of my crops. These days I just taste them. My body knows what it likes.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

joseph that what I hope I got across in the video is your right ... it measures sugars. 0.5% is even a high number for most referenced cultivars.

I use the old I like it the kid likes it we are good method ;)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Were I work they use them to measure the machine coolent solution.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

They are great for that ;) the higher the reading the worse the coolant ;)

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”