bcallaha
Cool Member

2014 Garden Update

I planted some early corn in the hopes that I would have some corn by July 4th. Well, the corn came up spotty, but enough came up that when I transplanted (don't normally do this), I had two rows. Today, July 3rd, I picked my first corn of the season!! I also had one small tomato. My grandson help me, so he gets his picture taken!!

Brad
Attachments
1st corn of 2014
1st corn of 2014
My helper showing off our garden produce
My helper showing off our garden produce

cdog222
Cool Member

Awesome! Growing corn is a bit of an enigma to me. This is my fourth year trying, and I have 1 ear to show for it thus far. Every year is a new challenge. Seeing a victory, even a hard fought one for a few good ears, keeps me inspired to keep trying!

bcallaha
Cool Member

Cdog, I think the secret to growing corn is giving it plenty to eat. I fertilize the ground when I plant, and then when the corn is about one foot or so in height, I will side-dress with another application of fertilizer and work it into the soil. I till between the rows a couple of times during the season and I hoe the grass and weeds from around the corn once. I hill the corn once, and that's about all I do to it.

I think some varieties of corn are easier to have success than others, too. SH2 corn is more picky on the planting temps than SH corn, for example. I grow SH2 corn, so I have to wait until the ground is good and warm, and the weather forcast calls for warm temps for the coming week or so.

This year has been a good year for corn. I have some stalks with 3 ears on them, and that's never happened to me before!! Don't give up!!

imafan26
Mod

It is best to plant corn in blocks not rows. Minimum is usually four rows in a block for good pollination. I usually do eight rows with 8 corn plants in a row. Corn needs to be planted 12-18 inches apart. If it is too close the corn will be small and the pollen may have problems getting to the corn silk unless you bag your tassels. The block is necessary because corn is wind pollinated.

I had problems with my corn not coming up evenly too. I contemplated starting over, but I think I will bag the tassels instead. Corn needs to come up within a two week period, otherwise the blooming will not be in sync.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”