ssg978
Newly Registered

Some Success and Some not

This is the second year we've planted a small veggie garden here in South Florida. This time, we started all from plants purchased at Home Depot. We purchased two small, DIY wood frames to use along with fresh bags of planting soil. We chose Heirloom and cherry tomatoes, as well as green and red peppers, and onions. We placed the garden within our lanai (screened in pool area) against a portion of the screens. There is one sprinkler head from our well-water system, on the outside of that screen and we have to use a rust-inhibitor. After one night when the sprinklers went on, we thought it best to screen off the plants from exposure to the sprinkler water and taped up large, black garbage bags all along the length of the screen, thus limiting the garden to either city water from our hose or rain water.

Initially, all of the plants took very well. We kept them watered before the rainy season started and made sure the soil was moist. Several weeks ago we were besieged by an "attack of the aphids." I researched online for remedies and saw the most folks liked the water, plus a couple of drops of dishwashing soap and a pinch or two of cayenne pepper. I made the batch and made sure to spray the undersides of the leaves where those little buggers hide! I would check the plants every couple of days and re-spray as needed.

However, as you'll see by the included pictures, it looks as though we were no fast enough in treating the plants for the aphids, even though we made a strong effort to check the plants every couple of days. We also have several tomatoes still no the vine, but showing no signs of ripening (and I'm not ready to make a movie sequel about green tomatoes!).
So, I'm turning to you folks out there who have had your own trials and tribulations and can offer some sound advice to help us finish off the season. BTW, we also have two strawberry plants, one of which bloomed one very nice strawberry about 5 weeks ago and nothing since.

Thanks,
Steve
Attachments
2014 Lower Tomato Plant.JPG
2014 Pepper Plant.JPG
2014 Tall Tomato Plant.JPG
First 2014 Peppers & Tomatoes.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I think when you put up the garbage bags to block out the sprinkler, you also cut off air circulation. There are fungal issues. the pepper may have anthracnose.

https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3307.html

The humidity was probably high from the rainy weather and the lack of air circulation would make things dry out slower.
The weakened plants are targets for the aphids.

You have a lot of plant in close proximity so it is easy for fungal diseases and pests to jump from plant to plant.

Fungal diseases are hard to control once they take hold. The aphids are actually going to be the lesser evil to deal with.

I don't know what can be saved.

I would start cleaning out the area and checking each plant. The ones that are too far gone should be bagged and trashed. If the plants are not too big, I find it easier to dunk a plant in a bucket rather than spray. My peppers do not get along with soap, so I use either a horticultural oil or neem. Neem does have anti fungal properties as a preventive treatment but is not so good at controlling a fungal problem once it becomes established. It will work on the aphids.

You will need to pick off all of the infected leaves and fruit. You will need to check them weekly and cull the ones that are just getting worse.

Do not reuse soil and bleach pots before reusing them.

Give the plants more room and take the garbage bags down so more air gets in. Reprogram the sprinkler so that it does not sprinkle at night and if you can change the sprinkler head to one that does not spray toward the screen.
Bait for ants.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I agree that the plants need a lot more air, and perhaps an earlier start for where you live. I am hit or miss on aphids, but it does seem that if there are any, then there are millions. Your screened in pool area should give the plants enough protection from direct hot south florida sun.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”