bcallaha
Cool Member

Before and after Pics

All of the hard work of planting a garden is starting to pay off. I picked my first cabbage today which weighed about 5 lbs. It made about 7 pts of freezer slaw. I have before and after pics.

Brad
Attachments
Before
Before
170.JPG (23.79 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
After
After
171.JPG (33.29 KiB) Viewed 1098 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:shock: what is freezer slaw?!?

That's a real nice cabbage!

bcallaha
Cool Member

Freezer slaw is a sweet & sour slaw that you make, and then you can freeze for later use. It's easy to make. I use a recipe in the Ball Blue book. I've tried other recipes, but I like that one best. Seven pints will probably last us the whole year. We eat it with fried chicken and fish mainly.

Brad

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Nice looking head of cabbage there. Will have to give the freezer slaw some consideration. I have only tried cabbage a time or two. Our temps get so hot and humid so quickly down this way, have to hit the planting and harvest just right to avoid the bugs.

bcallaha
Cool Member

Lakngulf, here is S. Indiana, we have about a 2 month period of "springlike" temps, then all of a sudden, we get 90+ degree days with little rain, and high humidity. We have to hit it right to grow good cabbage and broccoli in the spring. I have better luck in the fall. I use BT to help control the bugs eating the cabbage and broccoli. BT usually does a pretty good job. I plant a short season cabbage, 55-70 days or so. The longer maturing cabbage just doesn't do as good for me because of our weather. If you can get cabbage plants, or grow your own, and plant so they mature before your freezing temps hit, then you should give it a try.

Brad

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”