erins327

A typical day these days

At least for now.
This is a typical every other day harvest!
I was really aggressive with putting in peppers and okra this year, and it paid off. Have already had 3x as much okra as I did all last summer.

I'm making chicken enchiladas with the peppers, tomatillos, and small tomatoes tonight. Okra and green bean grilled tomorrow!
Attachments
June harvest 2014.jpg

applestar
Mod

Very nice! What variety tomatoes? Any flavor reviews?

imafan26
Mod

What do tomatillos taste like and besides green salsa, what do you do with them? I found them before in my community garden, but I just kept pulling them out because they were just weeds to me.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Great harvest. I cannot believe your okra is already producing. My plants are looking great but have not bloomed yet. And the rabbits like them green, unfortunately. I am looking at the garden from afar just now, from my porch, sorta scared to venture down to see how much the raccoons and rabbits got last night. Wascals!

erins327

Hey applestar!

The 3 biggins are Cherokee Purples and I havent biten into them yet. However I can say the ones that have fallen off and are still green, make excellent tasty fried green tomatoes!

The Yellow Pears are just that and the smaller ones are a mixture of Sungold F1 and Black Cherry.

I seeded some Goose Creek, but I don't think any of them took. (I am really bad and unorganized about keeping my little labels by the seedlings!)

IMAFAN- Hmm tomatillos are a hit in my household. I will give the advice that they seem to take longer to get going than my other tomatoes. But once it gets going it isnt a plant, its practically a tree! I made chicken enchiladas with them last night that was truly a hit. Here is the recipe to give you idea: https://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/10/so ... ecipe.html
We also make a hatch chili green sauce with tomatillos instead of red tomatoes. I recommend roasting them, it really brings out the flavor and juices.

And yes lakngulf! Like I said, I was really aggressive this year and planted them in mid-March. We had a couple nights of high 30s, but they were still small enough to be covered by buckets and worked out OK. I feel like here in Texas with my experience, you have to get their root system established before it gets too hot. Last year I put them in around May, and they could never get a break from the heat and never really produced. However I also had an aphid problem last year in which this summer I don't- plenty of ladybugs have stuck around this Spring!

We do have a problem with birds and squirrels, but we have a very fast ferocious Beagle that has decided if ANYONE is gonna get a free tomato around here, it's gonna be HIM!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”