RachaelJohanson
Newly Registered

Dying Okra?

My Okra was planted April 12th, the last few weeks it seems to be dying back? The watering is regular, I'm wondering if it has a fungus or maybe my soil is too dense? Please help! I have worked so hard for this one!
Attachments
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Where are your plants located? City, state? Are you fertilizing them? How much and what with? What are they planted in? What type soil? How MUCH are you watering them and how frequently?

RachaelJohanson
Newly Registered

Dover Delaware, they get 8 hours of sun a day and approx on inch of water a week, I keep a pretty controlled environment since I grow them in 5 gallon buckets. I just recently transplanted them about a week and a half ago also. The soil is potting soil with 1/4 compost mixed in. I have not fertilized these yet as I was under the understanding that I'm not to fertilize them until they grow their "true leaves", is that correct? Also, do you think I should cut the dead part of the leaves off?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Consider yourself lucky if it all dies...okra should be considered a noxious weed. I know lots of people enjoy it so you can tell where my tastes lie. Maybe you will get responses for real. Sorry for my response.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Consider yourself lucky if it all dies...okra should be considered a noxious weed.
For SHAME!!! ( and Hahahahaha)
Okra is the best! My northern husband calls it a vile weed too, though... :roll:

Okra can take a little abuse. Take those leaves off and trash them. Don't water your plants until your soil feels dry to the touch about the first inch. They THRIVE in hot dry conditions. If I plant too early, they just kind of sit and hang out until it's disgustingly hot out. When I lived in PA, I had very little success with several different cultivars. Just too cold on the mountain.
Hot and dry. Also, it likes to be soaked and sowed. Direct planting in the soil works best for okra (in my experience).

I wouldn't feed it now. Your soil is probably rich being that it's potting soil and compost. I'm assuming it's fresh? Your plant is otherwise very green!

RachaelJohanson
Newly Registered

Thank you so much!! I will let the water evaporate out a bit and hopefully that helps! I pinched the leaves off and it seems to have worked very well!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”