Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Re: Lindsaylew's 2014 Garden - Upstate, SC

CLEARANCE TIME at my favorite nursery!

WHOOP! WHOOP!!! Yaaaaaaay! Cheap perennials!

NancyJo

what are you hoping to add to your garden Lindsay?

I have several wants, but waiting for the right prices , and I hoping to barter for a few also.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm hoping for some perennials for shade. I need to do a better job of maintaining my front yard. We had 2 large oak pruned back this spring. But they'll provide lots of shave next year. I have a few largish spots that get deep shade and these rest is full shade to 4 hours of sunlight per day. Mostly dappled.

I'm looking for pots of bulbs like lily of the valley. He had some last year, but when I went back, they were gone :( . Astilbe, bleeding hearts, ground covers. I don't have anything mapped out yet, just a general idea in my mind. Hosta.

Right now he has a lot of stuff. I figure the big hit will be Friday, which is most of this town's PAYDAY, including mine. And. I'm. OFF!!! Woohoo!

I should take pictures of the space and post them...

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Also, whatever herbs he has. I lost some in last winter's harshness. I replaced both my French lavender and regular lavender and my common sage this spring, but they've all struggled this summer, all 3 died. Very strange. I definitely think there is time for them to better establish in the fall.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Must be nice to have nurseries that clearance things. Here it is so warm that all the nurseries just keep selling all year long so they don't put stuff on sale.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

That's a shame! I would think things would get pot bound and yucky looking after so long...

NancyJo

well I hope to get a few new plants this year, I had hubby make me a new bed along side of his shed/shop. This fall I will need to divide most of my stuff again and I will be able to use divisions to fill in the area. Up here plants are all sold out of the stores and most nurseries by the 3 week in July. I refrained from buying more as I can never find my true got to have plants. So I'm going to have a plant swap here in Sept. I know I might not find what I want but it will be nice to meet other gardeners and make some new friends. I have been inviting everyone I know and I tell them to bring anyone they would like. I hope to have at least 20 people attend.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:That's a shame! I would think things would get pot bound and yucky looking after so long...
Well, the nursery I work at turns over annuals fast enough that that doesn't happen and perennials just get potted up to the next size and cut back and they almost all look great again.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

My new bee balm is finally blooming, and it's PURPLE!!! I wasn't expecting that, my last one was brilliant red. It's very pretty! It tastes different also. It's very strong. More savory/sage-ish. Very tasty in tea with chamomile, pineapple sage, and peppermint.

Swallowtails are EVERYWHERE! This one posed pretty for me.

I found a friend tonight! A really BIG friend! I hope it's a she, and I hope she lays puffs everywhere!

Can't really see it, but there are 7 goldfinches eating the seeds out of our sunflowers in this picture.

Bumble bee moths are very numerous, and I have lots of skipper butterflies, too.

I've been saving seeds from tomatoes! Here is my fermenting station!

Tonight's harvest!

Wombat

Wow just read the whole thread. Great set up you have there! Makes me wish for Summer to arrive asap, thanks for sharing the pics of your patch..... :D

applestar
Mod

Which kind of praying mantis ootheca do you usually find? This kind?

Subject: Some kind of egg casing? Good or bad? >> Carolina Mantis
applestar wrote:OK -- it's so nice out I was giving my garden a once over patrol and discovered this half way up on the main trunk of my little ginkgo tree -- t's only knee high and can't afford any munchers. :x

It looks like an egg casing -- approx. 3" long from top to bottom. Hopefully someone can help me ID before it's too late. :shock:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's been a LONG time since I've actually seen one, but that looks similar! The last time I saw one, it was on the inside of a screened in porch. :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Looks like some kind of mantis or walking stick.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Definitely mantis!

applestar
Mod

Yep. If you go to the thread, you'll see we northerners had some head scratching discussions about the oddball. Eventually we found out that it is a CAROLINA mantis egg case.

So it makes so much sense that you two would recognize it. (WHERE WERE YOU WHEN ALL THIS WAS GOING ON? :> )

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Did yours hatch out?

I was going through family related h*ll at that time...I missed my big garden last year. :(

n8young
Cool Member

hendi_alex wrote:Get chickens! No more squishing bad garden critters. The chickens just love them. Three to four chickens don't take much space or much care, plus give lots of eggs and a bonus of manure for the compost pile.
Not sure if anyone commented on this or not......here's my take. I have 6 chickens, and I cannot let them out anywhere near my garden....I have carrots, kale, peppers, green beans, tomatoes, onions, basil, dill, black beans, butternut squash, and chard growing, and the only thing they have not eaten is the dill and the onions.......they will peck into any fruits(tomatoes, squash) and will eat leaves off all the other plants. They can wreak havoc in a big way, in a very short amount of time. On top of that, they will scratch through the garden, removing any mulch you may have put down, and potentially damaging the root structures of plants.....they are great when the garden is not growing, Fall/Winter/Early Spring. I also have found that most pests eat the new growth off your plants, which is generally at the top(read high and out of reach for the chickens)......the eggs are great, the chickens are cool as heck, the manure is great for the garden, but the chickens are by no means expected to be a pest removal method from a growing garden......

That's just my practical experience with it, feel free to experiment on your own, but I would advise against it.

FYI - tomatoes are their favorite....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I have the opportunity to get some quail, 4 weeks old, for free... Like 20 of them! I'm thinking about it. I need more research. Man said no, right off the bat. "They have nice eggs!" I told him.. He didn't seem to care and asked me how I'd feel when the neighborhood hawk makes another feather explosion...( I witnessed a mockingbird get dive-bombed at the new bird feeder....I felt extreme guilt.) I could never use the birds for food.

Having something like chickens in the fall and early spring would be nice. I need something like them to pick over my soil and mulch.

I've been reading up a lot on guinea hens, and I'm very interested.

My neighbor raises chickens for meat and eggs. He seems to get so many roosters! When they figure out they can make noise, they practice all hours of the day and night. It's really annoying. In recent years, I've started putting chicken recipes in their mailbox. The noise stops after that.

applestar
Mod

I used to pack hard boiled quail eggs for daughters' field trip and kindergarten lunch. I didn't pre-peel them for better keeping (and they knew how) but for a parents night pot luck get together, I took 20 peeled quail eggs. It was fun to see the look of wonder on the other kids faces since most of them (and parents) didn't know what they were. My kids preferred them to chicken eggs for a long time because of the milder flavor.

We dyed them for Easter, too.

I'm not supposed to keep chickens,but have often thought quails might be less conspicuous.... (or bantams) and more suited to stealth chicken :lol:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've heard they're higher in protein, by weight, than chicken eggs.

Eta:

I've not gone to any lengths to see if that information is accurate...

JPNguyen

Your home grown veggy look very tastey. What's the biggest tomato you've harvested from your garden?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

This year's Black Krim! 1 pound 8 ounces.
I've had several really large black Krim this year.

I also had large Amana Orange, Yellow Brandywine, Chocolate Stripes, Cherokee Purple. and Park's Whopper. Most have given me fruits over 1 pound.

The 3 in the background are all over a pound!

Meme
Cool Member

Your garden is a credit to you Lindsaylew82. I so enjoyed looking at your photo's. Not just a green thumb do you have, but fingers as well. :D
I was amazed at all the variety you have grown, as well as the stunning Marigolds, how lovely.
Hope not too many bugs/slugs/critters come along, but at least you are on the look out, regular patrol. :D

So sad about the loss of your cat, but how lovely you made the Memorial Bed.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Thank you so very much! How sweet of you!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”