Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Pea Bed

Over a month ago now we planted some peas in our home made Pea bed! Here it is then and now! :-()
Attachments
Start of the Pea Bed
Start of the Pea Bed
Pea Bed
Pea Bed

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Nice bed!

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thanks! Last year we grew a few pea plants in buckets but they didn't get very tall or bushy and only produced a few pods! It is nice to see how great these peas are doing! Also planted some beans in the bed..some slugs and bugs started to eat the seedlings when we got a few days of rain :cry: but they seem to be alright..guess they are hardy plants! :-()

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Peas and beans - YUM! :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Your peas look great :!: I am jealous. It is very difficult to grow peas - English, Sugar Snaps or Snow Peas - in south Louisiana.

If you are having problems with snails and slugs try this - I promise - it REALLY works. Set out shallow pans of beer in the garden - or yeast cakes dissolved in water. The slugs are attracted by the yeast. They crawl into the pan and (at east with the beer) drown happy. Also put a band of crushed egg shells around the base of your plants. The sharp egg shells cut the under belly of the slugs and snails. Slugs and snails were devouring my basil and gerbera daisies. I putout pans of beer and a 3" band of egg shells around each plant. I left the pans of beer out 2 nights, refilled and left out 2 more nights. The number of slugs and snails in those pans was ridiculous. I refilled again but found only a couple of slugs in each pan. We have been getting a stupid amount of rain and I was concerned that I would have slugs dining on my plants. I know they have been in the garden because I se their slime trails but the egg shells have kept them off of my plants. :-()

BTW - if you do not use many eggs check with a local restaurant that serves breakfast. Ask for their egg shells. They will look at you funny but you can get enough shells for your garden in one morning.

Good luck

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

First, I'd like to thank both of you for the compliments on our Pea bed! I have heard about those methods before to stop snails/slugs from destroying plants. Very good suggestions, never tried them ourselves but maybe we should. We have chickens so we do get quite a few eggs daily..so it wouldn't be a problem to get egg shells :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Great that you have egg shells. Use that for long term control. The pans of beer or yeast water for a few days will eradicate the initial infestation.

Good luck!

BTW -how do you cook your lovely peas? Curious because love to cook and there are so many ways to prepare peas.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

That's great you enjoy making food! So do we! But alas we just started having flowers on our Peas. No peas yet, but will let you know how we make them when we have some to work with :-()

Cola82
Green Thumb

This bed looks great. :D

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thank you Cola! :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”