applestar
Mod

Edible Landscaping the Front Yard Fence Row -- 2014 plans

I have a space in my front yard I call my "Project Edible Landscape: Front Yard Fence Row" -- FYFR for short. I have posted photos in a previous year in this thread. Snapshots of my Edible Landscape/Mini-forest Garden: Updates

There have been some changes since then. For one thing, there's "Paw and Paw and Baby Paw" planted in front of it. "Baby Paw" was grown from seeds that were given to me by a member here. :()
"Paw and Paw and Baby Paw"
"Paw and Paw and Baby Paw"
There is also one American Hazel which have bloomed every year for the past three years without setting fruits/nuts. So I acquired a 2nd plant from a different source for genetic diversity to cross pollinate (I still have to plant it). I also have a couple of angustifolium blueberries and struggling Kiwi Gold raspberries as well as an elderberry which needs to be kept cut back and root suckers pulled to keep it in bounds. A wildlife area with Red Osier Dogwood for the birds, Cardinal flowers and Husker Red Penstemon for the hummingbirds, and some Turtleheads in case Baltimore Checkered butterfly ever decides to visit north.... Etc.

I was procrastinating about what to do with the annual vegetable bed portion of it this year, but I finally decided today that I would start some golden amaranth and plant them along with SVB resistant squash (maybe Kikuza) and some kind of beans plus okra and cleome. So a modified Native American 3 Sisters Plus.

I then went out to see what needed to be done. I roughly weeded last week, just cutting down anything that was tall, but I saw that the worst were fleabane daisies just getting ready to bloom on their long stalks that had managed to all regrow, on multiple flower stalks like Hydra.

I got down to business and uprooted all of the fleabane. I could find, as well as some Curley Dock. ...and guess what? A significant portion of the bed has been taken over and occupied by strawberries :shock:
Squatters in the FYFR
Squatters in the FYFR
What's more, these appear to be the Seascape strawberries I had planted on the OTHER side of the fence, TWO FENCE PANELS OVER (that's 10-15 feet away). They had more-or-less disappeared, and I was lamenting that I had not chosen wisely when planting and "they didn't make it.... :cry: " ... :roll: ...

...back to the drawing board! As they say... :|

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good! "Discovering" strawberries is a fun find. Won't the trees shade out the area when they get a little bigger?

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”