jtbrothers
Newly Registered

Asking for an advice on weeding organic garden

Hello!

Just seeking some advice as to how I would deal with wild grass and weeds that have already started to grow, with out using chemicals?
My plan was to put a tarp of some sorts, over the planned gardening area, in an attempt to smother it - but I don't know how effective this plan may be.
I've posted a few pictures below - Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

J
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 1.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not entirely clear to me what you want to weed. Is that grass with some weeds in it; is it all weeds, etc. If you want everything that is there gone, you can just lay down a couple layers of cardboard over the whole thing. Wet the cardboard well and then put down good topsoil on top and plant in to it. The cardboard will suppress the weeds and then will decay and get out of the way and you will have a nice deep relatively weed free planting bed.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Lots of choices are available. For a new bed area, I recommend solarizing with black plastic. Then follow up with a barrier like cardboard, multiple layers of newspaper, or landscape fabric for walk areas. Cover the barrier with a heavy layer of mulch of some kind. Using the biodegradable options gives the best long term result IMO as these soil friendly material gradually break down and improve soil quality and health.

Voices30
Cool Member

You guys have such great information, I love this forum. I was late to start and I went out there and "tore it up" just me, and the shovel.. and hard work. I wanted to till in down into the earth and let it sit until next year, but I have been putting off my "home veggie plot" for years as it is.

I plan to grow a much larger area next year, so can I plow down my grass and use it like it was a cover crop? I compost clippings all the time, what are your thoughts?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It depends upon the kind of grass. Grass is a perennial, and my experience has been this. Turning grass under just cultivates it. After a bit of shock and recovery, the grass begins to come back with a vengeance. So regardless, some kind of barrier and mulch will most likely be desirable.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”