Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Cold frame build from recycled material

I decided to try my hands at cold frames. The best part is it did not cost me anything. I hope to get a jump on spring and extend my year.

Any tips on how to use them I would appreciate them :)

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/iN1wZ4NTtM8[/youtudotbe]

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the Very nice clip and a good cold frame. My lettuce came up in my cold frame quick since I had the glass on top even with nights in the 20's here in Pa. It took about 12 days!

A few tips. After some of you crops come up and you thin them to plant else where. Keep the cold frame to grow other things or some of the plants you started there and cover the top with a screen! This keeps the cats away! Also cover the cold frame with a layer of plastic on really cold nights with the plastic over the window.

People throw away alum slidding windows all the time and I have about 40 of them a friend of mine that hauls junk saved for me. I use them in the green house to cover the boxes till the seedlings emerge I really like the plexiglass alum windows when I find them they are so light and insulate better!.

Another thing I do is put a few gallon jugs of water in them to hold heat on really cold nights. If you sink then down in the grown half way they will maintain the ground temp about 40 and give off heat on real cold nights! the bottom of most of my cold frames I have leaves or some type of dead flowers from the fall then covered with dirt and the top 3 inches of dirt I strain and mix with sand and any type of potting soil! I always dig up the bottom and have about 10 inches of soil above the leaves! I have about a dozen cold frames this year of all sizes! I start peas in a narrow cold frame and leave them grow there gaining 3 weeks in the spring!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am glad you liked my video. I guess I have a lot of learning to do lol.

Do you have issues with overheating ?

I was thinking about the blackened water bottles to see how it helped night time.

What is your preferred start in cold frames ?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

You mean when. Early spring and late fall I use them! Actually I use them all summer uncovered like a raised bed!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

That's a great idea ! I have 0 space left for new beds but I think I'll use them as much as I can :)

I am excited to learn how to use them !

Do you have any tips for poly tunnels ?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I prefer ,the 2 by 4 by 8 for the tunnel. Simply drill a hole one inch from the the end of the board and bolt two boards together that will allow you to make a triangle and any size. Make about 6 or 7 of these triangles and place then about 18 inches apart . Nail one 2 by 4 by 10 at the top and have a a frame type tunnel that you can stand up in the center that is 6 feet high and 10 feet long! A peg at the base will make it very sturdy! This same method will make a simple greenhouse! The cost is less than $30plus the plastic and its quick Its also easy to take down and store since the boards will swing together. They are very strong! A 20 foot wide plastic works great or the 15 by 20 that you can buy cheap!

If you drill a one inch or r 1/2 inch hole at the top of the triangle you can insert a 10 foot conduit for supporting the trinagles and make it easy to disassemble when done!

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I had several problems following what he was doing because his shadow was across much of what he was describing and I couldn't see it. This is a great attempt, but I can't use it.

Edit: I adjusted my monitor and it was better, still a bit hard to follow in a few spots.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am going to build a Poly tunnel once I am able to move some stuff around. what gauge of poly do you recommend?

I tried to stay out of the way of the sun however it ended up being more difficult then I thought. the only dry spot in my yard is the inside of the garage and the light was an issue. I appreciate the comments! it helps me keep them in mind for the next video!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”