Hein
Newly Registered

1st Time Gardener and total Noob

Hey

So after I Introduced myself I just thought I should post a pic or 3 about the area I am working with. I will go full speed ahead when spring comes along again. I am thinking of going with raised beds but getting wood is a problem. But what I do have is a ample supply of concrete blocks. I have seen a few grows where people use them.

What do you guys think

And yeah, that soil is DEAD !!!

Love and Light

Hein
The "graveyard".
The "graveyard".
The soil.
The soil.
100_5021.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum! That soil does indeed look dead. I think raised beds are a good choice in that situation -- you can just fill them with good soil and not worry so much about what is beneath. My house came with very little flat land, mostly hillside. The best flat garden spot was covered with concrete patio, so I built two raised beds on top of that. Since your situation is somewhat similar, I suggest you do as I did and build your beds deeper than is typical, so it doesn't matter so much whether your plants can ever root down into the underlying soil, at least 12", 16" or half a meter would be better. Concrete blocks are ok to build them out of.

Just be sure in the spot where a bed will be, before you put it there, stick a garden fork down in to the soil as far as you can, in several different spots, to try to create some drainage channels. Then just start filling it with good topsoil (NOT fill dirt), compost, fall leaves, whatever organic materials you have. If it is fall now, you can start your own compost pile, and have some good homemade compost by spring. I saw your other post where you said you didn't have a lot of greens, but don't forget kitchen scraps. Everything vegetable left over from cooking (potato peels, onion skins, carrot peels, etc) plus all the vegetable plate scrapings and anything in the frig that turns in to a science experiment can all go in a bucket to be taken out to the compost pile. If you drink coffee, be sure to put all the used coffee grounds (with filters) in the bucket for compost; they are nitrogen rich and good for the compost. If you are still having trouble coming up with enough "greens," go by any coffee shop or other place that serves coffee and ask for their grounds.

Even if everything isn't composted by spring, you can just bury it all in your beds and let it finish breaking down there. I would start working on building and filling your beds now, so that hopefully in spring you will have some planting spaces ready. I think it is just as well that you won't have a whole big garden space to start with, since you don't have a lot of experience gardening. Beginning gardeners often get in trouble that way, starting too big.

Good luck with your new projects! :)

Hein
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener, thanx for the quick reply.

Thanx for all the tips and advice. I'll start getting my stuff ready so long. I thought about the drainage and decided to dig a bit deeper and fill that with stone and then add the soil for the beds.

I will get my food scraps together as well, and I have quite a few contacts in the restaurant indusrty. Maybe I can give them a call and ask for all their leftover vegie scraps.

Wow, even more excited now

Love and Light

Hein

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Remember not to use meat, oils, fats etc in your compost this may attract vermin. I'm saying this since you said you have contacts in the restaurant industry. Just make sure you are getting clean scraps, yeah sounds weird but true.

Voices30
Cool Member

Should you decide to use that inviting looking soil you have right now: dig a hole, 2 feet deep. fill that hole to the top with water and see how fast it drains. if it drains within 2 hours, you have decent drainage. if it drains in 15 minutes, you have to think about adding some water retention to it.

next analyze your soil and see what NPK levels are, and your ph. you would be surprised, I have grown gardens in worse looking soil.

I don't know what kind of budget your working with, but as stated earlier, start composting. you can turn that plot of dirt into something incredible. I mean that's what it's all about right?

I'm not suggesting that you don't build raised beds, I'm just giving you some ideas.

imafan26
Mod

I'd go with the beds. Remember it is best to align them north south if you can to get the best sun. That is a very high solid wall in the back. You may have to leave some space between the garden bed and the wall for air circulation and because depending on direction, the wall may also block some of the light from the garden.

That little brick enclosure, I would turn into a barbecue pit and put the compost elsewhere. A three bin system works better any way the size should be a minimum of 3ftx3ftx3ft to have a hope of it heating up right. that brick pit may be a little small for that.

Hein
Newly Registered

Hey Everyone

So after a long hard thinking process I have come to a final decision. Money is a bit of an issue and I will have to recycle as much as I can. I will be using the concrete blocks to build raised beds and these will be a permanent fixtures for about 5 Years. After that I will break down the beds and see what has happened on the bottom and maybe see if the soil is usable yet or not.

The beds will be lined out with a layer of boxes followed by a double layer of hessian and another layer of boxes. Then I'll add the soil mixture.

Anyone here have a herb tea garden ??? I want to grow my own herbs for tea's and some for tinctures.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings Hein, Good to see you here. Noticed you use the word "hessian" makes me wonder if you're in the States, we use the word Burlap, wifey is from Australia and calls it hessian. Anyway, looks like you're into it, good for you.

Hope to see more of your yard as time goes on.

Richard

Hein
Newly Registered

Hi

Richard, I am from South Africa and we call it hessian as well. Never used it before but like I said, total noob. LoL

Love and Light

Hein
Newly Registered

:D Hey Everyone :D

I appologise for the absence, but work was hectic and planning the garden pretty much took up a lot of time. And not to mention that its Winter now, so everything is a bit slower than usual. But luckily we had a few sunny days this week and I started tackling the garden.

When I say garden, I mean getting the yard to a certain par again, because the previous owners didn't have time to spend in the garden so everything was in a low low low maintance state. So after getting the front and back yard "pretty" again for the misses, I set my sights on my "playground".

I cleaned out the compost bin completely, and I was pleasantly surprised ( and horrified).

* Horrified - As I stuck my fork into the pile, I was welcomed with a fork full of TRASH. Plastic Bags, Cooldrink Cans, Sta-Soft packiging, etc. Someone thought it was a rubbish bin :-x

* Surprised - Luckily it was only like 5 spadefull of soil ( and garbage ) I threw away and as I dug deeper I found beautiful dark and alive compost. I quickly started getting it all together and kept it aside for later

After the bin was cleaned out I layed a layer of branches and fine twigs ( about 10cm ) and covered that with freshly cut green leafs. ( from cleaning the yard ). To that I added 1/2 a bucket of kitchen scraps that has been doing their thing for a month ( Activator ??? ), then a layer of brown and then again a layer of green ( freshly cut grass). I chucked about 1.5L of Seabird Guano on that as well for another starter. I covered it all up with cardboard boxes and a roof to keep out the rain. I will be adding more green and brown material as time goes on and more leafs fall from the trees.

On that dead soil, I saw that some plants/ weeds do grow there I will take a pic of the plants growing there soon. I'm just waiting for it to grow a bit more, but I really don't think its a weed. But apart from that, I started cleaning the yard slowly and chucked all the plant material onto that part of the garden, because it was unused at that time. when I started on that area I dug half a spades depth and found many earthworms. So then I stared a mulch layer from the compost bin to where the raised beds will. I chopped up the plant material so that quicker decomp can happen and to that that I added the compost from the bin.

The rain will clear away tomorrow and then I will continue with the garden. luck was also on my side when I found out that at my gf's place of work they have about 15 wooden pallets, 3 x wine crates and 20 x bales of hay that they wanted to throw away and burn. So tomorrow I'm off to go pick up those freebies.

FEELLING BLESSED O:)

so yeah, thats my ranting and raving coming to an end LoL. But I will post a pic soon of the area and maybe get a few tips on the shape and size/s of the bed/s.

Love an Light

Hein

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, that is a lot of blessings. There's lots of plans on-line for building compost bins out of those wooden pallets. It is great news that you have earthworms. That suggests the soil is not as dead as it looks. And with ready made compost to add, you will be off to a good start.

Hein
Newly Registered

This is a pic of the plant / flower / weed that is growing all over the area where the raised beds will be build. I want to wait until they reach 1 - 1.5m high and then I want to chop them down and turn it into mulch for that area. With all the rain we got the past 2 days, the soil is pretty managable and I can't wait to start mulching again tomorrow.
CAM00407.jpg
As you can see I still have load of browns available and that will be worked into the soil as soon as the raised beds start. I have quite a few vinyard branches left which will come in handy when I create a drainage layer.
CAM00411.jpg
Still a bit to go but I guess that after the hay is laid down it'll have a more "farmy" feel to it. LoL. I'm hoping that the invited earthworms will add loads more drainage to the soil because it drains like SH*T.
CAM00408.jpg

Until later

Love and Light

Hein

Hein
Newly Registered

FINALLY DONE !!!

We went to pick up the hay this morning and as it landed I started hauling them to the back and spreading them. I layed some cardboard boxes over the areas where I'm planning the beds.

As you can see from the pic, I layed out 3 beds and some open spaces. So I'll explain as I numbered them.

1 & 2 - Both beds are the same size ( 1m x 2m )

3 - Size is 1.5 x 1.2

4 - This area is 1 x 3m. The plan at this moment is put 3 grow towers there where I want to plant peas, beans and maybe strawberries

5 - I'm not really sure if I'm gonna use this area for anything. Its right as you enter the garden so I'm still deciding

6 - As soon as those cinder blocks gets moved to make the beds higher, then I will be building a spiral herb garden.

By no means is the current beds in a permanent position. I would love to hear from you guys if you think that'll do. I m not planning on growing huge amount of vegies, just enough for my family and a friend or 2 ( if there is xtra )

Tomorrow will be the last sunny day for another 2 or 3 days.

Love and Light

Hein
Attachments
CAM00414.jpg

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”