ChrisC_77

Cucumber trellis up corn stalks

So far I have gotten 2 cucumbers. lots of baby ones and more growing and coming one. I just started 3 pots surrounding my metal deck post. Hoping for some great production!
Attachments
cucumber1.JPG
cucumber1.JPG (29.73 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As long as it doesn't get too rampant and shade the corn out or out-compete it for nutrients. Both corn and cukes are heavy feeders that need lots of nitrogen. As near as I can tell from the picture, the containers they are in are pretty small. You will need to water and fertilize frequently. Do they get enough sun with a solid wall behind them?

ChrisC_77

The cucumbers are planted directly in the ground and not in containers. Also the corn is done for so I am just using them for support. I also have peas and pole beans which add nitrogen so it seems like a good fit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds great!! I'm glad to hear that is corn that is done. I thought it was looking puny, but I hated to sound too negative. That is a creative use of your finished corn stalks.

ChrisC_77

Here is a low view pic I just took. I picked one yesterday and gave it to my neighbor and one more today. THis seems to be a good method.
Attachments
cucumber2.JPG
cucumber2.JPG (32.21 KiB) Viewed 2837 times

ChrisC_77

Update, my cucumbers are doing very well like this. I think I have 2 plants...I can't quite see behind the corn. Anyway, I have picked 9 so far. I will have 3 more in about 3 days. More baby ones coming on. If I see baby cucumbers (about an inch long) that don't look healthy, I just pinch them off. I started more about 3 weeks ago for a fall harvest. I should get them in time I think. I have them growing upwards as well.

SOB
Green Thumb

Looks good! Sounds similar to the Three Sisters...

https://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

robotr73
Newly Registered

Glad to see you had success. I was able to get cucumber, pea, and bean plants to grow like crazy, but the yielded very little fruit! I'm still relatively new to gardening (only about 3 years into it, really; the first few years were spent cleaning up an overgrown yard).

While I can pretty much walk away from tomato vines and get good yield, clearly cukes/beans/peas need some work to yield anything. Any suggestions??

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”