User avatar
jemsister
Senior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Location: Western Washington, USA

My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

I grew a few things with my limited space. Landlord won't let me garden up the lawn (such a shame, because it is a HUGE yard!), so I am mostly container gardening. I have a raised bed of sorts on the patio, and then various 18 gallon totes. I also plant in the flower bed, and I grew zucchini in a miracle grow soil bag. Here is where I planted things this year. BTW, this is a south facing yard with no trees, so truly full sun all the live long day.
YARDMAP.png
YARDMAP.png (43.11 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
This is my rough plan for this year. I want to try more things next time. Maybe two tomato plants instead of one, and I want to try some peppers, and some winter squash as well. Also, *maybe* some leafy greens. My problem in the plant bed is that I had some wire worms this year. I also have a mole that I'm having trouble getting rid of. So I'm pretty sure root veggies are out unless I grow them in containers.

Oh, and I also want to add a third 18 gallon container next year. That way I can dedicate two of them to tomatoes, and one of them to peppers.

The legumes I'm going to try to grow along the fence. I'd like to try to slice open 2 cf soil bags right down the middle, separate them, and then line them along the fence kinda like trenches or flower boxes of sorts. I haven't decided if I want to do green beans next year. I just don't seem to do well with them. Last year I had zero luck, and although I am getting beans this year, they just aren't as good as they should be. They are kinda tough, and the flavor just isn't there.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions? This will be my second solid attempt at gardening. First year was a bust with no return whatsoever, so I don't count that. Second attempt I only grew two things, and only one thing actually succeeded (with the exception of herbs, which practically grow themselves). This year was my first solid, real effort with research and dedication. So next year really feels more like a year two than a year four.
YARDMAP_2014.png
YARDMAP_2014.png (46.34 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

User avatar
jemsister
Senior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Location: Western Washington, USA

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

Oh, one question. I grew the peas in the spot where I want to grow winter squash. But at the end, when the peas where done and pretty much dead, they developed mildew. I tore them down, but now I'm wondering if it would be inadvisable to plant squash there, since it is highly susceptible to powdery mildew?

User avatar
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 25303
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: TN/GA 7b

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

I don't know that it matters, since the squash is likely to get powdery mildew no matter where you plant it! Prevention works better than cure. Start with spraying milk solution every couple weeks from the beginning.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

User avatar
jemsister
Senior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Location: Western Washington, USA

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

Fair enough! We do have the ideal climate for fungus, after all... :roll: Do you know if wire worms would be a problem for lettuces? Or moles?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 6113
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 am

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

Moles are mostly carnivorous. They may tunnel around your root crops but not actually eat them. Voles on the other hand are a pain in the butt. I have lost many a potato to those monsters.

Leaf greens should not be bothered by wireworm, but be on the look out for Flea beetle and Leaf miner. Wireworm can be a potato pest also.

Eric

pfong001
Full Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada Zone 5?

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

If you want to spurg I would recommend either an earthbox or a growbox for your tomatoes and peppers. For me the sunniest part of my backyard is where my deck is built, so this year I resorted to self watering planters this year and my yield is great! The rest of my backyard is partial shade, that's where I grow my lettuce greens and bush beans.
Attachments
IMG_6134.jpg
IMG_7063.jpg

imafan26
Mod
Posts: 11269
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:32 pm
Location: hawaii, zone 12a 587 ft elev.

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

Got any dimensions to your planting area?
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

User avatar
applestar
Mod
Posts: 27803
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Zone 6, NJ (3/M)4/E ~ 10/M

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

What does "drainage" mean?

Is the play structure being used? They make great, STURDY support structure for trellis if it's not. 8) :wink:

My kids hardly use theirs any more, but unfortunately it is in the shade. I use the trapeze bar for hanging row covers to dry, etc. though. :() It also provides me with apace to sit and relax. :P

Be sure to plan out the succession planting from earliest spring until frost to pack in more in the tight space you have. Garden map/plan should be 4 dimensional. For example, where are you planting garlic this fall? Are you planning a fall/late fall crop or overwintering early spring crop? When is your first frost and what zone (lowest winter temp) are you in? Cynthia would ask what is your sunset zone.

Pfong, your deck (and daughters) look lovely. It must be great to be able to just step out and pick what you need -- you don't even have to put on shoes.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

User avatar
jemsister
Senior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Location: Western Washington, USA

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

imafan26 wrote:Got any dimensions to your planting area?
Not really. :> The totes are 18 gallon totes. The raised bed is something like 3 x 4.5', estimate. I grew one tomato and some wildflowers in it. I could easily have grown two tomato plants in it, + some peppers, if I had tried peppers.

The plant bed is roughly 2 x 20', full length. I only used about 2/3 of it because I saved the end bit for my kids to have a digging place.

The patio is really tiny. Only maybe 6 x 10'.
applestar wrote:What does "drainage" mean?

Is the play structure being used? They make great, STURDY support structure for trellis if it's not. 8) :wink:

My kids hardly use theirs any more, but unfortunately it is in the shade. I use the trapeze bar for hanging row covers to dry, etc. though. :() It also provides me with apace to sit and relax. :P

Be sure to plan out the succession planting from earliest spring until frost to pack in more in the tight space you have. Garden map/plan should be 4 dimensional. For example, where are you planting garlic this fall? Are you planning a fall/late fall crop or overwintering early spring crop? When is your first frost and what zone (lowest winter temp) are you in? Cynthia would ask what is your sunset zone.
We live in a really damp climate. Behind the fence, the ground slopes up a bit. So the yard slopes down a little toward the "drainage" spots on the side so that the yard doesn't become soup (these are shared with the neighbors), and on the top fence is a drain with a grate on top.

And unfortunately, my kids use the play structure constantly. :P I've fantasized many times about using it as a trellis for the peas. LOL! I've also considered putting an herb garden at the top of the slide. Haha!

By four dimensional, do you mean a plan for each season? That is a smart idea. I'm going to have to work on that.

Average frost dates are mid April and mid October. Summer highs top out at about 85 degrees, but most of the time it's more like 75.
Last edited by jemsister on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jemsister
Senior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 11:15 pm
Location: Western Washington, USA

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

pfong001 wrote:If you want to spurg I would recommend either an earthbox or a growbox for your tomatoes and peppers. For me the sunniest part of my backyard is where my deck is built, so this year I resorted to self watering planters this year and my yield is great! The rest of my backyard is partial shade, that's where I grow my lettuce greens and bush beans.
Your deck garden is amazing and beautiful! I would love a setup like that. I am slowly increasing mine, one year at a time. What is the advantage of earthbox/growbox? I'm not familiar with them. Are they like those self-watering planters?

pfong001
Full Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada Zone 5?

Re: My garden map of 2013 + plans for 2014

jemsister wrote:
pfong001 wrote:If you want to spurg I would recommend either an earthbox or a growbox for your tomatoes and peppers. For me the sunniest part of my backyard is where my deck is built, so this year I resorted to self watering planters this year and my yield is great! The rest of my backyard is partial shade, that's where I grow my lettuce greens and bush beans.
Your deck garden is amazing and beautiful! I would love a setup like that. I am slowly increasing mine, one year at a time. What is the advantage of earthbox/growbox? I'm not familiar with them. Are they like those self-watering planters?
The advantage of a planter with a water reservoir is that i can usually put more plants in than a regular pot with the similar size. Last year i planted a lot less in regular pots and I had a hard time keeping the plants happy since it would dry out too fast. I had to water more than twice a day.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”