catdaddy66

Heirloom psychosis!

Just got back from a nursery with my mom and brother, and despite me having plenty of tomato seedlings I absconded with 6 Cherokee purple, six Cherokee carbon, six Green Zebra, six roma and six Mr Stripey!

Holy cow, now I need several dozen jars to can with...😉

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have saved Cherokee Purple heirloom seeds for years. I have a shoe box in the frig with the groups from each year. I start several flats each year starting around Jan 1 and every couple of weeks after until about March 1. This year I had a bum leg with Achilles tendon surgery. That slowed me down with everything else but not with starting seed. I decided to try several years back with the frig seed and WOW they all came up.
I give away plants every year but had to find LOTS of friends this year. At one time I counted 347 plants in my little greenhouse. I have managed to plant a lot and gave a bunch to friends, and down to about four dozen. Yesterday I was putting tomato cages around the plants and realized I had uncovered the soil that had NO PLANT. So 11 more went into the ground.

Motto has always been "Have bare spot in soil, plant a tomato"

imafan26
Mod

I know you plant so much on your pier. I only have space for three tomatoes.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:39 am
I have a few more than that.

catdaddy66

lakngulf wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:36 am
imafan26 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:39 am
I have a few more than that.
#metoo!! Just counted 76 currently but have a few more varieties are yet to go in. I was gifted 4 Big Beef hybrids but all the others are heirloom styles. I'm tomato poor, and about to add pepper poor to that statement!

catdaddy66

Man, my plants are looking good so far! I do have one Big Beef plant that has several spotted leaves which makes me sad. I'm going to post pics to see if anyone may identify the issue. Of all I've learned about gardening, my knowledge of disease is most rudimentary.

imafan26
Mod

I have a few more tomato seedlings, I don't know exactly where I will put them. Sun King is flowering. The other two BHN 589 in the other two pots are still in there but the buttercrunch lettuce and daikon are competing with them. I have a couple of red currants in the ground. One is small, the other is very wild and is trying to climb over the jasmine and under it to the pathway. I have had to pull it back. It is already producing tomatoes.

Peat moss finally came in, so I was able to get a couple of bags, so at least I can refurbish some of the pots. I have pots to add, just not a lot of space for them. I have some determinate tomatoes. I will try them in smaller pots and see what happens. I may be able to squeeze a few more pots in that way. I still need to make space for more cucumbers and pole beans too.

I wish I could plant more heirlooms again, but TYLCV makes that impossible. Unless any of you know of any heirloom that is resistant? BHN 589 is not resistant, so I am growing it in a tree bag. I can only do that with determinates. I might try New Big Dwarf in a tree bag. I like the large tomatoes on a compact plant. I have grown that one before. I still would need to find a place for it.

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”