TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Saving tomato seeds

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, and I just LOVE heirloom tomatoes-especialy oddly colored ones. :D I enjoy saving my seeds as well. Does anyone else besides me save using the fermentation process?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I have been using the fermentation process for more than twenty years. Works for me.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That is great! I am in the process of saving some Tiny Tim tomatoes right now!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

How long has anyone ever had tomato seeds last in storage? From what I understand, they can last for many years if kept sealed good.

applestar
Mod

I have been able to germinate seeds from 2010 this year, and 2014 seeds were pretty vigorous. The germination rate does decline over the years, so I sow extra seeds, but they can surprise you. Generally speaking, IME, home saved seeds have the best germination rate.

The key is not so much well sealed storage as properly drying the seeds before storing, keeping in mind that excess humidity and heat can diminish viability. There are different opinions depending on ( I believe) local climate — where excessive humidity is an issue, tightly sealed zippered plastic or vials appear to be essential. Here, with moderately humid summer conditions but very dry winter indoor conditions, I believe paper envelopes maintain better conditions. When using paper, some kind of protection from seed eating pests is necessary also. For seeds in plastic zip bags, I often put a piece of paper in the bag with the seeds to help moderate conditions, which seem to help. This is often the best way to label the contents as well since writing on the plastic can rub off.

Although it is generally agreed that refrigerator or freezer storage is best for maintaining viability, I keep my seeds at room temperature.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I live in Texas, so I understand the heat/humidity mess. :roll: I store my tomato seeds in small plastic storage baggies I bought in a craft store. Then I put all the bags in a glass jar.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I do the fermentation method, too, and use the paper envelopes for storage. Here's a tip for those - I use that blue painter's masking tape for sealing, these and envelopes of seeds I've bought, as it can be removed and reused easily, unlike many tapes.

Something I do, esp. when saving seeds from a variety that I can no longer find, is to isolate blossoms, to save seeds from those fruits. Tomatoes don't often cross, but it does happen, so why take a chance?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I prefer plastic to save my seeds in plastic instead of paper because in case of an emergency my seeds could get wet. I try to be little Miss 'Always Prepared'! :)

PaulF
Greener Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:How long has anyone ever had tomato seeds last in storage? From what I understand, they can last for many years if kept sealed good.

Fifteen year old seed is about my limit on using seeds without soaking them overnight. A 22 year old seed with soaking overnight in a wet paper towel got me about 10% germination a couple of years ago. I have not tried nicking seeds to aid germination. This year the average seed age was about six years old and got about 80% germination. A ten year old variety, Bulgarian Tri-Fanova was 100%.

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”