cfuller43
Newly Registered

Are these Black Krim?

Was the packet wrong? Or did I do something wrong? :oops:

These are ripening at only a few inches around, and I know Black Krim are supposed to be larger. They are Ferry - Morris seeds that I got from Lowe's. Not sure if I got an inadvertent cross, or if I've done something to cause them to ripen at such a small size.

Unfortunately I don't have a fully ripened one to photograph because my daughters ate the only two I have harvested. I'll post a picture when I get a ripe one.

Until then, any ideas?

Thanks!
Attachments
20170628_181555.jpg
20170628_181525.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know from the green ones, but if you had ripe ones, Black Krim is very distinctive, very deep mahogany color:

inside it has lots of seeds with dark gel:

I think Black Krims are described as 8 oz or so tomatoes which is medium sized, but it isn't unusual for there to be size variation. Size is also affected by fertility of soil, amount of water, amount of sun, etc....

cfuller43
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply.
I have grown Cherokee Purple, and have had a few ripe this year.

I know they should have a similar appearance. These just confuse me.

Maybe I'll know more when I can keep my girls from eating the under ripe ones.

cfuller43
Newly Registered

Ok... So here's what they look like ripe.

Any thoughts? I'm certain this plant came from a seed in a Black Krim packet.

Pretty little tomatoes, but not what I expected. :shock:
Attachments
20170703_140041.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

don't know -- there's a zillion medium sized, round, red tomatoes. But definitely NOT black krim.

applestar
Mod

They don't look quite right to me either, but these might not be ripe yet.
Black Krim is black/brown tomato so the skin (epi=epidermis) will be yellow if you scrape all of the flesh off and hold it up to daylight or white light.

It actually does not look like Cherokee Purple because CP is "purple" with clear epi.

One of the two varieties is a bigger plant -- I'm thinking Cherokee Purple. All conditions being equal, Black Krim I believe should mature a little bit earlier, though that is so dependent on when the seeds were started and other conditions.

It looks a bit like you might be growing in containers? Indeterminate tomato fruit size is often reduced when grown in inadequately sized containers.

cfuller43
Newly Registered

Actually, I grew them in the ground.

I've included a photo of the mystery tomato side by side with the CP that I grew just a few feet away. As well as a pic of the tomato sliced.

I see a few seed pockets have a dark tint as would be expected from BK.

The color is a bit off in the pic. The CP in reality is the rich purplish color. But the orange color of the other tomatoes is very close to how they appear in person.

They are tasty little tomatoes. Maybe I'll save some seeds and see what I get next year

Thanks for the replies.
Attachments
20170703_165331.jpg
20170703_164706.jpg

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes Forum”